Old 05-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari FB SE
palm coast , florida
East coast info

first time posting thread I've been reading threads for 2 years and the amount of airstream info has been invaluable. Thanks to all. We are planning our first extended trip [longer than a week] from florida up the east coast thru canada.we have a few planned stops but would be open to any suggestions. we would hate to miss any memorable stopovers.thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forum. If I were making the trip, I would definately stop for at least a couple of days at Washington, DC, to at least take in the sights.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
What are your interests? History, landscapes, sea, lighthouses, fortresses, ships, mountains, art? There is lots to do - a lifetime's worth. Two weeks, a month, three months?

I'm sure it'll be great.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
One of my favorites is the Blue Ridge Parkway - NC & VA, beautiful scenery, lots of things to do, waterfalls, old cabins & farms, orchards, caverns, lakes rivers & creeks, canoeing, rafting, kyaking, hiking, old mills, wildlife viewing, visitor center and museums very interesting, good road 35/45 speed limit, both national park and private campgrounds. If you have not been before, see the Biltmore House in Asheville, just off the parkway. I go to the parkway at least once a month, sometimes more spring and fall. If you go, stop at Pisgah Lodge Campground and go to the restaruant there. Good food and a memorable view over the valley below, ask for a window seat.

If you do the Blue Ridge you should also go the the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. It is at the southern end of the Blue Ridge. Beautiful scenery. similar the the Blue Ridge. You may see elk, black bear, deer, turkey.

At the north end of the Blue Ridge is the Skyline Parkway in VA. The elevation there is not as high as further south and west on the Blue Ridge, but it is still beautiful. Camping is available on and off/near the Skyline.

Smokey, Blue Ridge, and Skyline can be done in a few days if you hurry, but it should be done at a slower pace to stop and enjoy along the way.

I also like the Outer Banks, NC - old light houses, Wright brothers first flight memorial, wild ponies, nice beaches, great fishing, lots of good seafood. Private campgrounds are best in this area. Ferry crossings with the trailer can be tight, but fun.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
I avoid I95 at all costs, at least through New Jersey, New York City, and southern Ct. There are potholes through there that will swallow your hole Airstream. I live near I95 in Ct and travel north through Hartford to I84 and get on I81. I just made this trip in April to Disney, I81 is a nice north/south route.
With that said, Mystic CT is great place to visit. Mystic Seaport has a historic village set around a typical whaling town. (with a whaling ship under restoration now)
RI has the best beaches and Burlingame State park has great campsites, lots of large pine shade trees.
Have fun.
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Another thought;
When you start out, a comfortable day's travel 4-5 hours north of you there are Skidaway Island GA State Park, Hunting Island SC State Park, or Edisto Beach SC state park. At the halfway point for us when we travel to Florida for the winter, we always spend time at one of these locations when going down and/or coming home. Reservations should be made. Lots to do and explore. Good campgrounds. On the other hand, there are lots of mousquitos in summer.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
What stops are you planning in Canada?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
My neighbor is a trucker. He says that I95 from northern Virginia to New York is one huge traffic jam and he refuses to take any loads that go there.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
East Coast Trip

Definitely do the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina and Skyline Drive in Virginia. I agree with the suggestion to avoid I95 from DC to Connecticut. The Maine coast is beautiful, particularly the Bar Harbour/Acadia National Park area. Go up through New Brunswick and into Nova Scotia. Halifax is worth a day or two. If you can plan to be there the first week of July, definitely plan to see the Royal Nova Scotia International Tatoo in Halifax. Do Cape Breton Island as well.

Coming back if you have time go down the eastern shore of Maryland, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and visit the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Hikeral

Welcome to the forum. Nothing like a clean slate to plan a great trip. I agree with all the suggestions. When in Virginia, I would avoid the state parks. The camp grounds are just not very well designed. We like the national forest campgrounds all along the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. Just understand that there are no hookups. Around DC we like the county parks.

The only addition I have would be Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Just leave your trailer at the bottom.

Once you have planned your route a bit, pm me and I can help you with where to camp in Virginia. Have fun.

Dan
Old 05-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Lyme , Connecticut
I 2nd Mt Washington. Cannon Mountain gondola and the famous dancing bears at Clarks Trading post!
seldencove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Well, from NYC through CT, see if you can get on the Merritt Parkway. Its narrower than a more modern road, but it is a cool old "planned" highway and pretty
Merritt Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In CT and Rhode Island, take route 1, or the Boston Post Road, rather than 95. 95 is gross, but it's faster. You might stop in Wickford RI , a little New England town
Wickford, Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can tour the big houses in Newport, if you're into architecture and design at all.
Home - Newport Mansions
If you're going to be going through on a Saturday, this is a totally worthwhile farmer's market and you can see the house
Casey Farm — Historic New England
And this group has great sites in RI and MA
Historic New England
Someone mentioned Burlingame State mgmt area, and I'd say Beavertail park on Jamestown island.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
NO PARKWAYS for trailers! . unless you want a ragtop trailer.

https://www.nysdot.gov/programs/broc...rkway-brochure
ConnDOT: Parkway Permit

you might be able to use the garden state parkway in nj but i don't think you can in ny.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Wow, good thing to know. I don't know if the Merritt is the same way, its in CT. I've driven it in our Jeep GC and never hit anything