Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Hikeral,

If you decide to stay at Skidaway while you are at Savanah, I suggest Pearl's Saltwater Grill for seafood. It's on the way to Savanah, a short drive away. Ask for a window seat overlooking the marsh, to watch the pelicans dive into schools of fish.

Have fun!
Alan
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
If you like hiking, biking and kayaking ... try to hit the GSM National Park on the way home. Cades Cove Campground (inside GSM NP) has dozens of great day hikes. Cades Cove is a well know bicycle destination ... take a half day and ride the cades cove loop ... pretty good chance you'll see a bear or two in safe distance (rangers usually are on the loop to make sure riders keep a safe distance). Also there is a decent kayaking run just a few mikes south of cades cove in Townsend, Tennessee ... and many more opportunities within 30 minutes. Regardless, enjoy your trip!
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Charleston, SC, is also a great place to see.

All NYC parkways do not permit trailers and that's probably true of NY state parkways including Saw Mill River Pkwy and Niagara Pkwy.

The tunnel between Hampton Roads and Norfolk requires that propane be turned off. There are a few places on the east coast that also require that and I think Nova Scotia does too. Check on that with the province and ask them if spoiled food is less dangerous than a propane explosion and when was the last one in an RV. If you are law abiding citizen, you either have to use dry ice, gel packs or leave the fridge on and taken a chance.

Newfoundland is a wonderful place to see, but it is a lot bigger than you may think since it's always a little thing in a box in the corner of a map. I think it's 450 miles from Port au Basque where most of the ferries land to St John's and there's plenty to see on the way and off the way. We loved Nfld when we were there, but you need more than a few days to see it. We had 10 and it wasn't enough.

Halifax, NS, is a nice place to visit. They have a maritime and local museum—you can learn about the explosion in the harbor during WW I that flattened a good part of the city (it wasn't caused by an RV). Peggy's Cove near Halifax is touristy, but is the quintessential fishing village, though New Englanders would probably disagree.

You didn't say how long you have other than it's more than a week. You could spend years traveling around the east.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I am planning to go to the eastern shore of VA to the Accomac area, doing some geneology research. Anyone have suggestions for camping with hookups nearby?
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
CT parkways a no-no for trailers

Hello, the Merrit and Wilber Cross Parkways (CT RT 15) are restricted for any kind of trailer and any vevicle with a registered vehicle weight of 7500 lbs or more. I cant legally drive my 2005 HD chevy 2500 on there as it has a 7700 lbs registered weight. Also your right some of the bridges are very low. Happy camping. regards nm1oqrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
NO PARKWAYS for trailers! . unless you want a ragtop trailer.

https://www.nysdot.gov/programs/broc...rkway-brochure
ConnDOT: Parkway Permit

you might be able to use the garden state parkway in nj but i don't think you can in ny.
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote