Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Easiest Route Across the Rockies

Hi all,
We traveling from Wisconsin to Oregon this spring and I am wondering what's the best route with the least amount of grade and curves. We are planning on going either through Colorado or Wyoming. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Round Hill , Virginia
best route, least extreme grades

I would recommend I80 across Wyoming, pretty boring, compared to Colorado, but a lot less grade, the high point is about 8300ft between Laramie and Cheyenne, gradual climb.

chu
zimchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
bambi'06

2006 16' Safari
Eugene , Oregon
I 80 across Wyoming, to I-84 to Portland, and then I-5 south to Eugene (if you are headed south...to Sutton's maybe?) The first time I drove it I figured it'd be faster cutting across Oregon - but it's mostly two lanes through the very steep Cascades. Weather is also still iffy in the spring in the Cascades.

What a great drive - I'm envious!
Silver Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Follow up question. Got any great camping spots along I-80?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Plenty of places to stay along the corridor. The only warning (with a small coach, you should not be too concerned) I've give would be "Cabbage Hill", "Emigrant Hill", "Deadman's Pass", "Meacham Summit", all the same pass on I-84 east of Pendleton, OR. It's a nasty downgrade with a great view of the west. Once you do the "drop", you'll always remember it.!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
I am planning on taking my wife to the Tetons for the first time. I Can't wait to see her face when she sees them for the first time.

Anyone know any good TT friendly spots near Jackson, WY?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Boutdoors,
Something to think about for your return, we take Hy 2, it runs from Duluth into Seatle. Not a lot of truck traffic, nice and easy. We will be taking the Bambi to Tacoma sometime this summer.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
What are you towing with as I-70 is so beautiful, I would at least consider it, I love that route and it's supposed to be one of the most scenic drives in the US through the Rockies.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by boutdoors View Post
Hi all,
We traveling from Wisconsin to Oregon this spring and I am wondering what's the best route with the least amount of grade and curves...
my preference is 80/84 and the entry into oregon along the columbia is spectacular.

the mythical northwest passage along this river/valley is 1 of the greatest drives on the planet.

and the entire route beats the crap outta anything through colo' on all counts

(traffic, scenery, camping, fuel prices, history, local people and so on...)

but define spring...

ALL of the northern routes have grade and a lot of elevation changes

and big winds which may be worse than curves.

and IF this trip is anytime before MAY, all the northern routes may have weather issues.

so the best early spring route wound be i35 south to i10 west then i5 north into duck land.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
What are you towing with as I-70 is so beautiful, I would at least consider it, I love that route and it's supposed to be one of the most scenic drives in the US through the Rockies.
Agree, you're not towing a 34 tri-axle but are at the opposite end of the spectrum. However we don't know what your tow vehicle is. If it's a half ton truck or equivalent you'll be fine for about anything.

Warning: go slower on the downhills. Serious accidents occur when the trailer starts swaying or pushing the tow vehicle. I've been forced by heavy truck traffic to do downhills at 70 mph on the PA turnpike and west of Charlottesville on I-64. No problems... BUT if I'd blown a tire or the trailer had gotten hit with a strong crosswind? Now I try to traverse those stretches at the crack of dawn while the truckers are having breakfast. On any road where there's a warning about a long downgrade be super alert. No radio, no cell phone, no talking no distractions. If you're going 45mph and your trailer starts to sway, a quick hand on the brake controller lever to tap the trailer brakes will pull you back in line. At 70 mph, if something goes wrong, you might not be able to react fast enough.

Paula
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
What's this everybody heading west? Did somebody leave the gate open on east gate?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
What are you towing with
I tow with a V6 Toyota Tacoma. Pulled all this year throughout Wisconsin with no issues. She pulled like a dream, not sure if that is due to the truck or the trailer. Not a lot of grade in Wisconsin though.

Quote:
but define spring...
We are leaving at the beginning of the last week of April and returning the end of the first week in May.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
What's this everybody heading west? Did somebody leave the gate open on east gate?
No one left the gate open, we just have the keys. We are originally from Oregon and want to see the homeland again.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Hi all,
We traveling from Wisconsin to Oregon this spring and I am wondering what's the best route with the least amount of grade and curves. We are planning on going either through Colorado or Wyoming. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I 80. Takes you through southern Wyoming and into Salt Lake City. Then you can pick up I 84 and branch off on which ever US or interstate route gets you to the part of Oregon you wish. If you do not go to Portland you will have to cross on last pass in Oregon.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I80/84 is the way to go, and if you want to go around Cabbage (not a bad idea this time of year - chains may be required) you can take US20 through Bend over to Albany. The downhill section of the pass west of Bend is somewhat serpentine but it's not too bad in a semi and you should be just fine pulling your AS.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Road West

We, in 1998, have done the I 80 and up I 84 and found it a senic route with some long grade, but enjoyable.
However in 2009 we crossed mid America on I 80 right through to Reno as the weather was changing in late October.
We then went north/west out of Reno to Mount Shasta, (395/44/89) and found that route to be a very comfortable drive with little grade that I can remember. Little traffic at that time, and the road (2 lane) was very good.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Oregon travels

We currently live in "Duckland" near Portland and echo 2air's comments. We also lived in Wyo for a long time. I80 can be a beast in winter but also presents a problem with winds any time of the year. But after all.... we have streamers, no? Just check the local weather for winds etc.

I84 through the "Gorge" is spectacular, especially in the spring. Don't forget to stop at Multnomah Falls with the spring runoff--impressive! There can be significant windage in the gorge but again........! (We rented a class A a long time ago and drove it through the Gorge.....wouldn't do that again! )

There is a new AS dealer in the Portland area......Airstream Adventures NW.. great people!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
(We rented a class A a long time ago and drove it through the Gorge.....wouldn't do that again! )
We've been through the gorge hundreds of times (in ice and snow,too) and not been bothered at all. But of course, we have a........
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Either way - you all should have a fun trip!!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sun Lakes , Arizona
Quote:
I am planning on taking my wife to the Tetons for the first time. I Can't wait to see her face when she sees them for the first time.

Anyone know any good TT friendly spots near Jackson, WY?
We always stay at one of the campgrounds in Grand Teton NP. There is a KOA just south of Jackson on the Snake River. srpinformation@wyoming.com

In Jackson is "The Virginian RV Resort".
info@virginianlodge.com www.virginianlodge.com
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote