Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I80/84 is the way to go, and if you want to go around Cabbage (not a bad idea this time of year - chains may be required) you can take US20 through Bend over to Albany. The downhill section of the pass west of Bend is somewhat serpentine but it's not too bad in a semi and you should be just fine pulling your AS.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Road West

We, in 1998, have done the I 80 and up I 84 and found it a senic route with some long grade, but enjoyable.
However in 2009 we crossed mid America on I 80 right through to Reno as the weather was changing in late October.
We then went north/west out of Reno to Mount Shasta, (395/44/89) and found that route to be a very comfortable drive with little grade that I can remember. Little traffic at that time, and the road (2 lane) was very good.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
West Linn , Oregon
Oregon travels

We currently live in "Duckland" near Portland and echo 2air's comments. We also lived in Wyo for a long time. I80 can be a beast in winter but also presents a problem with winds any time of the year. But after all.... we have streamers, no? Just check the local weather for winds etc.

I84 through the "Gorge" is spectacular, especially in the spring. Don't forget to stop at Multnomah Falls with the spring runoff--impressive! There can be significant windage in the gorge but again........! (We rented a class A a long time ago and drove it through the Gorge.....wouldn't do that again! )

There is a new AS dealer in the Portland area......Airstream Adventures NW.. great people!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
(We rented a class A a long time ago and drove it through the Gorge.....wouldn't do that again! )
We've been through the gorge hundreds of times (in ice and snow,too) and not been bothered at all. But of course, we have a........
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Either way - you all should have a fun trip!!!!
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
Sun Lakes , Arizona
Originally Posted by boutdoors View Post
I am planning on taking my wife to the Tetons for the first time. I Can't wait to see her face when she sees them for the first time.

Anyone know any good TT friendly spots near Jackson, WY?
We always stay at one of the campgrounds in Grand Teton NP. There is a KOA just south of Jackson on the Snake River.

In Jackson is "The Virginian RV Resort".
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2010 16' Sport
Madison , Wisconsin
Thanks to all for your input. The problem is, most of the campgrounds around the rockies are closed until mid may. I dont really want to just stay at KOAs, does anyone know of any state/national parks that are open in late April/Early May in Nebraska/Wyoming along I-80?
boutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic S/O
1989 25' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Hi boutdoors,
We are in western Iowa about 15 mi. N of Council Bluffs, IA. There is a nice state park called Wilson Island St Pk about 5 mi. west of us on the Missouri River. It is within 6 mi. of the I 29 - I 680 interchange @ M/M 72 on I 29. Good blacktop road to park. The park has electric in main loop w/ water hydrants located handy. It is busy on weekends w/ Omaha - Co. Bluffs traffic. This may too near you for a stop - but it could help others on their travels. We are the 2nd place W of I 29 on the blacktop - 1.25 mi. from the hwy. We are in Bonita Springs, FL now but will be home April 1 for about 2 months. The park has a website w/ info thru Iowa DNR. Flooding in 2010 was a problem, but the park was to reopen late in the season, (Dec, 2010) Hope this helps.
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
Boise , Idaho
Hwy 20

Having grown up in Wisco and now living in Boise, ID I have driven between the two many times. I do not like driving the Interstate highways because they are boring. The best route b/w Wisco and Oregon is definitely Hwy 20. It was once a coast to coast hwy but has been cut up some now. You can jump on it in Dubuque, across Iowa, Northern Nebraska, into Wyoming, Idaho, and finally to Oregon. It is a nice two lane, 55 mph cruise across the heartland.
tjinkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have driven Hwy 20 from Columbus, Nebraska to Harrison, Nebraska. It's mostly good road with minimal traffic. Went east on I-80 came back west on Hwy 20. Much more enjoyable driving west.
We are just a mile north of Hwy 26 which is the route to Yellowstone. It's about 40 miles north of I-80. Can provide you with a place to spend the night. Power would be available (20 amp), but no sewer facilities.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote