Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Saugerties , New York
Durango to Montrose

Late in May we will be in Durango CO. I plan to drive north on 550 to Montrose, CO. 550 is the primary road but I was wondering if anyone has towed their Airstream over the high passes. Do you have to worry about switchbacks or steep downgrades (excess of 10%)?

Thanks for any input you can offer. Rich
classic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We have traveled all over that country with our 31' classic, our dodge with 6.7 come- along has a good exhaust brake, just watch your speed and don't get in a hurry and all is well, one of the guys here hauled 80' beams all over them mountains for the ski resorts and larger buildings, a very neat area...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It is not for the timid, but I do it two or three times a year with trailer. The speed from Red Mountain to Ouray is 25mph so you can take your time and focus on the road. Use the pull-outs to let traffic by. It's doable but demands your full attention.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Durango to Montrose

Just pretend that the 500 foot cliff at the east side of the shoulderless road is not there and you will be fine.

It is no big deal, just be cool.

There are some serious switchbacks but they are all very generous as far as turning room.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There is another route if you are concerned about the switchbacks which aren't that bad. Go west out of Durango then take Highway 145 north thru Dolores and Rico over Lizard Head Pass.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic34 View Post
Late in May we will be in Durango CO. I plan to drive north on 550 to Montrose, CO. 550 is the primary road but I was wondering if anyone has towed their Airstream over the high passes. Do you have to worry about switchbacks or steep downgrades (excess of 10%)?

Thanks for any input you can offer. Rich
Amazing on this forum how many people with personal knowledge of the area have replied already! Having visited Telluride a few times (not the high passes), my only comment would be that a trailer trip over these high passes is not for the novice or faint-hearted . . .

Late in May is there any chance that some of the high passes could still closed by snow or avalanche risk?

Please report back next year on what you find.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Saugerties , New York
Thanks everyone for your information.
I think 550 would be fine. So, that is the way we will go.
Thanks for the local knowledge and experience.
classic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I have driven that route many times over the past 30 years, driving from Denver to ski with my daughter at Durango Mtn ski resort, camping (tent), and family visits. In the early years, the drive, in SUV only, (no RV), was quite thrilling. I always enjoyed the drive....in both directions...it is so awesomely beautiful.

That was "when I was much younger"! (Adventurous)! Two years ago, towing a T@B 15' TT....PAST 70...not so thrilling, more of a white knuckle type experience. That being said...it is doable, if you are careful. (I am now too much of a Fraidy Cat to tow my BAMBI 16' Sport over that route now)!

Keep your eyes on the road, leave the sightseeing to others in the vehicle. Drivers need to stay alert. Try not to meet any other big vehicles, RVs, semis...on the sharp curves, with overhangs, on 2 lane sections, as it will be tight. I suggest you check the state road conditions if early or late in season, as Molas and Red Mtn passes could have snow and ice, and you WILL NOT WANT TO TOW AN RV THEN! There is also potential for road closures due to landslides at any time of the year. Just check with state road conditions.
Good luck and enjoy this beautiful part of our state.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

BTW, another route, If passing through Denver region, might be to take 285 hwy from Denver to 160 hwy, over Wolf Creek pass, also a pretty drive, just not as hard. When towing, that is the route I take. Just an idea.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We did it southbound through Uray to Durango. Construction south of Uray might hold you up for a little bit but the road is good and spectacular scenary. We did it towing our 30'er. Take your time to " smell the roses" along the way.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
We went to the WBCCI rally in Farmington nam last year & decided to go that route into Colorado ... I was very concerned (ok, I was terrified) ,but the drive was very pleasant, albeit a little nerve wracking - first time jitters as it turns out. I would - will- make that drive again as circumstance permits. My wife tells me my knuckles were mostly white during the drive & I tried not to look off the road toward the canyon.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

I live in Colorado and tow my Airstream a thousand or so miles every summer.
If your tow vehicle and trailer are within weight ratings and your hitch is properly set up, it is not difficult.
Just watch your speed on the downhills. Every curve has a posted advisory speed and if you are at this speed or below, you will be fine. Use engine braking and don't ride your brakes. I have a diesel and have an engine brake which makes things easier.
Remember, truckers in rigs much bigger than yours drive these passes even in the winter without incident.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I would hesitate to recommend doing that route with a tow vehicle and trailer that are just within weight ratings. There are actually three separate passes there, all close to 11,000 ft. in elevation. Assuming you are not turbocharged, your naturally aspirated engine will lose about 30% of its power. You'd be crawling over those hills.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would not worry about the above statement. You will have plenty of power with a normally aspirated engine. The recommended speed limits (yellow signs) will in most cases not exceed 45 mph on this route and many are 25 to 35 mph.
If you head these speeds you will do fine going up or down hill.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
There is another route if you are concerned about the switchbacks which aren't that bad. Go west out of Durango then take Highway 145 north thru Dolores and Rico over Lizard Head Pass.

Hwy 145 is a gorgeous route as well, with dispersed camping at Lizard Head and a fine NF CG, Sunshine, just before Telluride. We've also done 550 a dozen times with our FC23FB, and I love the driving. Camping at Haviland Lake SP just out of Durango is really fine, as is Molas a bit further up. Enjoy our area!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I would not worry about the above statement. You will have plenty of power with a normally aspirated engine. The recommended speed limits (yellow signs) will in most cases not exceed 45 mph on this route and many are 25 to 35 mph.
If you head these speeds you will do fine going up or down hill.
Are you sure he has plenty of power? His info lists a Silverado, but does not mention his engine. If he has the 5.3L and is towing a loaded 34', I do not think he could do the speed limit going up hill.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Durango to Montrose

5.3 Ltr = 285Hp
6.0Ltr = 345Hp

Even derated for the altitude it should work. One would assume he has the 6.0 with a tow package for a trailer of that size.
Maintaining speed over the continental divide will be a greater challenge than Hwy 550 or 145. IMHO
Old 05-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
I was on Lizard Head pass several years ago on Memorial weekend and it snowed 6 inches. Be sure and check the weather.