Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #71
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Well framed Ken. Strange how curtesy doesn't cost a dime but is becoming such a rare commodity. Doesn't make sense. Jim

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I once was camped next to a rental camper that had what appeared to be 3 Frenchmen, at least that what they talked like. I noticed that their black and grey valves were open with the cap closed. After the 3rd day, I tried to explain that they needed to close the valves, but even at that, there would be some leftover that would spill out. Something got lost in the interpretation and the result was we left our camp site a day early. I truly wish I had a video of that, it would still be the number 1 youtube of the number 2 problem.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #73
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I once encountered dump sta at a highway rest area. It was in Iowa I think. Have never seen another so don't know how common they may be.
I believe all the rest areas, on interstate highways, in Iowa, have dump stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Have any of y'all used the facilities at the highway gas stations/truck stops that advertise them? Is the drill there the same? Are they generally decent facilities?
They vary widely. Some of the newer Flying Js have them built into their fuel islands, which is convenient. The Flying J closest to my house has it off in an area that is hard to access and where there is no rinse water available, and they charge $10.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Well, I never thought that I would be so entertained by reading this thread on dumping.

First of all why can't we all just get along. Camping, my wife and I have met the most wonderful people with one goal in mind "let's camp, meet some peeps and have a fun doing it!" Life is too short for all the bickering, for sure. What is your hurry anyway. Isn't the reason you are camping is to get away from the fruitcakes out there? So relax and enjoy the rest of your life "Airsteaming the way Wally wanted us to do!" By the way as a side note, did you know that most of your munipalties will let you dump at their sewer treatment plants free during their hours, "FREE"! Just google them, call and dump. I not to sure about dumping on the open ground, GROSS!!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
On this thing about courtesy being a thing of the past ... I read a lot of history, and I seldom read anything, from any period, where people don't complain about the decline of civilization. I'm sure Adam and Eve muttered to each other about "kids these days."

That said, it sure seems like "please" and "thank you" are things of the past. It used to be that those things were taught in schools, but we have of course destroyed our public schools. I do wonder some times if perhaps some of what appears to be discourtesy is cultural.

All manners are cultural constructs. So the fact that our melting pot culture has become ever more a mix of different cultures means that the "courtesy" or "manners" was just one culture, and sometimes what we see as "discourtesy" is the product of the norms of other, dissimilar cultures.

So I guess we should celebrate our differences and the incredible variety of cultures in America by thanking people for being discourteous to us! (And I still say that if you give me s___ for working through my checklist at the dump station I'm liable to give it right back, in a very literal sense.)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I answered that last post completely, I would run afoul of the no politics policy of this forum, but I will push the issue just a touch, when choosing a national cultural direction, we should endeavor to promote a society that is proven successful over those that are proven failed.

Besides, rudeness wears me down, it makes me grumpy, and it makes me be what I rail against.... Rude.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If I answered that last post completely, I would run afoul of the no politics policy of this forum, but I will push the issue just a touch, when choosing a national cultural direction, we should endeavor to promote a society that is proven successful over those that are proven failed.

Besides, rudeness wears me down, it makes me grumpy, and it makes me be what I rail against.... Rude.

Your theory is that people would be less rude if we voted for your chosen political party?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
On this thing about courtesy being a thing of the past ... I read a lot of history, and I seldom read anything, from any period, where people don't complain about the decline of civilization. I'm sure Adam and Eve muttered to each other about "kids these days."

That said, it sure seems like "please" and "thank you" are things of the past. It used to be that those things were taught in schools, but we have of course destroyed our public schools. I do wonder some times if perhaps some of what appears to be discourtesy is cultural.

All manners are cultural constructs. So the fact that our melting pot culture has become ever more a mix of different cultures means that the "courtesy" or "manners" was just one culture, and sometimes what we see as "discourtesy" is the product of the norms of other, dissimilar cultures.

So I guess we should celebrate our differences and the incredible variety of cultures in America by thanking people for being discourteous to us! (And I still say that if you give me s___ for working through my checklist at the dump station I'm liable to give it right back, in a very literal sense.)
I have worked and lived all over the world. Wherever I w found myself , a smile and a "thank you" got me a long way. There's far more that unites us than there is that divides us.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I have worked and lived all over the world. Wherever I w found myself , a smile and a "thank you" got me a long way. There's far more that unites us than there is that divides us.
Excellent, andreasduess.

Some people are deliberately, arrogantly rude. They just can't help but show everyone how important and powerful they are.

Others may be inexperienced, distracted by whatever, hyper-thorough, etc.

Practice tolerance, going with the flow, and keep your blood pressure down.

You never really know what is going on with a stranger.

Maggie
Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thanks, Andy and Maggie. We're never too old to learn . . .
Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
They got there first, who am I to tell them to hurry? The world doesn't revolve around me!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Lol, just what party do you suppose is my "chosen party"?

Don't jump to conclusions.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I drive down a road thirty MPH below the limit, blocking traffic behind me without regard I am being rude.

Likewise if I drive right on the bumper of a guy going five over (or even five under) the limit I am being rude.

What we lack is common courtesy. It is the courteous thing to not block people because it is construed as our right to do so, nor is it courteous to push someone when they themselves are being reasonable.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
If the camp ground has sewer hookups, I don't use the dump station, get all that business done before we hook up.

My favorite dump station story as a highway rest area (in Iowa), My wife's parents, her aunt and Uncle and my wife and I, each in our own unit. Seeing as the other folks were elderly, I did their dumping for them and they each, when finished, moved forward. When it came my turn, I pulled up the trailer, walked around back to hook up the hose and no tank or or hose connection. It was gone. Apparently the weight of the efluent was more stress than the staples holding the tank up. Gosh only knows where we lost the tank.

Another time was in Baxter Springs KS, going to through town, my wife was driving the trailer and hit a rail tracks too hard. I was in front in another unit. I looked in my rear view just as she crossed the tracks and I saw the tank, full I might add, go sliding down the street and into the ditch by the rail road tracks.

No, I didn't go back for it. This was back in the 1970s in SOBs.