Old 05-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #57
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I don't think I am that nice a guy, but it seems that it is just ingrained in me not to inconvenience others any more than I have to - don't suppose I will change at this stage of the game! (My wife thinks I'm so obsessed with this philosophy and that I am nuts!)

Brian.

Brian, who would have imagined that a discussion on dump station etiquette would lead to the golden rule. and it is actually that simple. Well done. On another issue while I am at it, I like your wheels and I recognized the gravel. Jim

Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
it is just ingrained in me not to inconvenience others any more than I have to
Ah! What can you do? Canadians just don't get it. That's why you guys will never be as good at world domination as we are.

:-)

Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #59
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Ah! What can you do? Canadians just don't get it. That's why you guys will never be as good at world domination as we are.
We're good at world domination? Really? Considering how few countries in the world actually does things the way we tell themů
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There are two kinds of people who take their sweet time while others wait, those who are oblivious, and those who enjoy making others wait simply because they can. The former gets my sympathy, poor souls, the later earn my disdain.

Now back to the original point, the guy who couldn't wait two minutes without knocking on the door, he has no social graces.

J. Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #61

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I was at a WBCCI regional rally at a county fairgrounds that had a dump station with room for two RV's at a time. We we were in a long line that was slow anyway, but got worse when the guy in his MH found he had a clog, and the guy in front of me in his vintage trailer had his dump hose come off the trailer outlet and sewage blew all over his arms and the area around the trailer. At least he did clean everything up. By the time I got to the station the guy in the motor home was wildly bouncing his vehicle up and down with his leveling jacks trying to break the clog free. We named that incident the dump station follies. I think there is a thread on the forum with that name that contains strange dump station experiences.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #62
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Maybe I've been lucky, maybe it's just been good planning. I've not yet had to wait in a line-up to dump. Yes once or twice I've had to wait a few minutes ( 5 or so) while the one in front finishes up but nothing to the point of reaching annoyance stage. That being said I take my dumping time serious and try to be thorough and at the same time waste no time. So once I get there I'm going to do my thing. I save the repeated flushing and rinsing of the tanks for when I'm at a full hookup site. I do not do that at a communal dump station. I'm there for a quick dump and hose down. Rinse the hose out and put it away. Toss the gloves and wash my hands. Hose the area down if needed and I'm gone.

I hope my good fortune continues. See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Have any of y'all used the facilities at the highway gas stations/truck stops that advertise them? Is the drill there the same? Are they generally decent facilities?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Domination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
We're good at world domination? Really? Considering how few countries in the world actually does things the way we tell themů
That's why we're loved everywhere, by everyone.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
Have any of y'all used the facilities at the highway gas stations/truck stops that advertise them? Is the drill there the same? Are they generally decent facilities?
I use the Flying J facilities in London, Ontario, before dropping the Airstream off for winter storage. There're three islands for RVs, each with a dump hole and flushing water - it's always clean and I've never had to wait. I think it costs $15 but if you get a Flying J/Pilot loyalty card its only $10, (or even $5 - I forget!).

Compare that to the fancy-looking facility at the Provincially owned service centre a few miles west of there; it looks good with its automatic gates and concrete walls but it seems to be closed immediately after Labour Day, which isn't much good for those of us who travel in September and October

I have resorted to driving the 30 minutes to my local Provincial Park to use their dump station - $15 to get in but I park up when I'm done and take the dog for a run on the beach, which makes it worth the effort.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #66

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have used the dump facility at Flying J on several occasions. We have never had to wait, nor has anyone ever been waiting behind us. With the Pilot/Flying J Frequent Fueler Advantage Card we get three cents per gallon off of fuel, a discount on LP, and use of the RV dump for $5.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #67
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I once encountered dump sta at a highway rest area. It was in Iowa I think. Have never seen another so don't know how common they may be.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
Haven't had a situation yet, but what gets me, is the guy in front without gloves! I've even offered a pair of my disposables. A quick wipe on the pants, then off to finish that sandwich. I know where my stinky has been but not that rental RV!
Old 06-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #69

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I once encountered dump sta at a highway rest area. It was in Iowa I think. Have never seen another so don't know how common they may be.
A number of states still have RV dumps at their rest areas,but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #70
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Here is how I feel about wasting others' time:
It is exactly the same as, if not worse than stealing a very precious commodity from someone.
Each of us has a finite but unknown amount of time in our life. Each of us should have as much freedom as reasonable to spend it as we desire. When some other self-centered individual feels their time and desires are way more precious than ours, it robs us of a small portion of our lives.
For this reason, I conduct my life with that always in mind. I try to be as efficient as possible when my activity is by necessity delaying others. I do my absolute best to never be late for an appointment.
This whole issue is just one indication of the many ways that consideration of those around us has become a diminishing quality in our society.

Ken