Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Mr. "ready to kick off yet?" Dude was way out of line.

Everybody knows dumping is a 15-20 minute ordeal, minimum.

Either you get up nice and early to beat the crowds, or you settle back in line and talk about what a great vacation it was while you wait.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
I would imagine a quick apology along the lines of "sorry, I'm new at this," to anyone waiting would disarm any impatience. We were all new at dumping at some point, after all.

We carry two 5-6 gal plastic water jugs which we have waiting full in the bathroom when we arrive at the dump station. When my husband exits the truck and starts with the gloves and slinky, I enter the trailer and am ready to empty the water through the toilet for a good flush as soon as he opens the black valve. I doubt if this adds more than a few seconds to our dump time.

I do wonder, however, why more spouses don't work together to dump-and-flush and thus save time for themselves and others.

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
Landshark - Great suggestion. I have been following this thread with interest as we are heading out this Friday for our inaugural AS "campout." Since we're newbies we've never had the experience of dumping before. I'm not sure if I'm comforted or afraid by everything I've been reading.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I don't have a trailer yet and am wondering what the reaction would be if the next person in line volunteered to help the one at the station? Seems that might help get things moving along, but not having done the deed have no clue.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I wonder if someone with a sewer solution would speak up. I have dumped my grey tank because it is quick and easy, but I have not tried to dump my black tank except at a cg with full hook ups.
The sewer solution is a nice clean approach but it takes a while and I have not wanted to take that long at a dump site. I do have a water thief in case it becomes a necessity. I also have an unused slinky in case of a real emergency.
My sense of etiquette prevents me from using the sewer solution for a black tnk dump at a communal dump site.
Larry
Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizGK View Post
Landshark - Great suggestion. I have been following this thread with interest as we are heading out this Friday for our inaugural AS "campout." Since we're newbies we've never had the experience of dumping before. I'm not sure if I'm comforted or afraid by everything I've been reading.
I agree, Landshark has a good idea. We had a bucket ready but it wasn't filled, so that took a few extra minutes (no one else in line). I'll get another one and have them at the ready. DW can dump them in the throne when I yell.

I had my first experience in April. I wanted to take the AS out early in the year to make sure it was just me at just about everything. We had some other minor issues setting up camp but the dump station was, uh, interesting when we were leaving. It was a National park so there were 4 dump stations. Of course, I had to pick the one that was perpetually stopped up. What an experience. We moved slinky et al to another station and I took the AS around again. Second time around no problems.

Hint: after you arrive and have set up camp, visit the dump station area. Make sure there is a big rock to hold your slinky down. If there is any sign of TP around the station it's probably a sign that it is either clogged or has been clogged; beware.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #35
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Ditto !!!!

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I wonder if someone with a sewer solution would speak up. I have dumped my grey tank because it is quick and easy, but I have not tried to dump my black tank except at a cg with full hook ups.
The sewer solution is a nice clean approach but it takes a while and I have not wanted to take that long at a dump site. I do have a water thief in case it becomes a necessity. I also have an unused slinky in case of a real emergency.
My sense of etiquette prevents me from using the sewer solution for a black tnk dump at a communal dump site.
Larry
I've yet to come across a communal dump station that has a threaded water hose. They tend to be cut off.

Dumping really isn't a big deal. Connect hose, insert into dump. The weight of the lid holds it down. Dump black, rinse with grey, if there's time a quick flush with fresh water, close valves, disconnect, gone.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I've yet to come across a communal dump station that has a threaded water hose. They tend to be cut off.
I've come across a few with threaded connections. But you're right, most are cut off and so can only be used for washdown rather than tank flush.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #38
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I recently waited for a fellow to dump, flush, dump something else, then, wait for it, wait...... fill up his fresh water tank with the same water hose he shoved down his sewer hose to flush it out.
I threw up in my mouth!
Where do these people come from?
Ultimate gag!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I recently waited for a fellow to dump, flush, dump something else, then, wait for it, wait...... fill up his fresh water tank with the same water hose he shoved down his sewer hose to flush it out.
I threw up in my mouth!
Ultimate gag!
Wow!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Being retired I try to make a point of staying an extra day so I do not have to be rushed flushing the tanks. That said it will take a certain amount of time to clean one's tanks. I would say a minimumim of ten minutes and up to 20 depending on how full they are. But I never leave the area when flushing and when finished I clear the site.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #41
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I threw up in my mouth!
Ultimate gag!

See my earlier post ....
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #42
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado