Old 05-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I try to get in, dump, and get out quickly but not so fast that I do something dumb and delay everyone even further. I generally don't have a need to go into the camper. If there's something I need to do inside the camper, if no one is waiting and it's quick, I'll do it right there, but if it's something that's going to take a few minutes or someone is waiting, I'll pull ahead - even if I'm still blocking the lane, they'll be dumping for a few minutes.

In general, when we stop at the dump station, we're itching to hit the road. If we're in a site without sewer, we'll tend to leave earlier in an attempt to avoid the line at the dump station.

I wouldn't knock on someone's door, especially after only a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Altogether I waited forty-five minutes for this guy, and by then there was a line behind me to rival that scene in Robin Williams's "RV."
That guy deserves to be slapped! I wonder if he was angry at the campground for something (not allowed to throw a party at 2 a.m., or something like that), so he decided to irritate other patrons in return.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Being English, I would rather drink a cup of cold sick than hold someone up at the dump station; it's in me genes unfortunately. That said, I'm always on vacation when I'm in my Airstream so I don't mind waiting for others to get done (with acknowledgement to Andy's issues with the young kids of course).

Where I do get upset is when people in front of me in the line at the grocery store stand and watch a week's shopping go over the scanner and only when the task is complete do they think about putting a couple of items in plastic bags. I'm not sure if it's a ruse to get the cashier to do the packing or just plain stupidity. We're packed and ready to go pretty much as the last item is scanned - see, there's the English again, not wanting to cause a hold up for anyone.

Hmmm, never thought of that - perhaps it is the country of my origin and its culture also that leads me to be paranoid about delaying others! Although my good lady wife also hails from the UK and doesn't seem bothered in the slightest!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think I would have hurt the guy or got in his truck and moved his rig.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Thankfully, I've never held up anyone in line behind me at a dump station. Yet. I'm sure I will, sooner or later, though. Luckily, discharging through a macerator pump is quick and clean, and there's no need to rinse a slinky.

But there have been times when I was the one held up. The worst was Chicot State Park, LA. Which has not one, but TWO dump stations. The guy ahead of me managed to pull up his fifth wheel so he was blocking one to use the other. And, while one of his tanks was dumping, he walked away a couple hundred feet (yards, miles, astronomical units, it sure SEEMED like it!) to the bathhouse to dump his own tank while the trailer was dumping its tank. Fifteen minutes before he came back to switch to dumping the other tank. Then back to the bathhouse for another fifteen minutes. Then another ten minutes just to rinse out his slinky and put it away. Altogether I waited forty-five minutes for this guy, and by then there was a line behind me to rival that scene in Robin Williams's "RV." I am so glad it took me just four minutes to dump BOTH of my tanks and move on when it was my turn! Gotta love 10gpm macerator pumps!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Boulder , Colorado
It's pretty simple. If I'm dumping the guy behind me expects me to be in and out in 5 minutes. If I'm waiting the guy in front of me expects me to wait 45 minutes.

The boat ramp comparison is great. We, and most blesses with situationally awareness and courtesy, have the boat prepped and ready to launch before we block the ramp.

I like the people that park their cart, bend over, and block the grocery aisle both directions while they painfully try to determine if 2 8oz bottles with coupons are cheaper than one 14 oz.

Common sense, courtesy, respect, and situational awareness are becoming lost traits in this all about me generation.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Another thing that gripes me are "gassers" blocking the diesel pumps at Gas stations when other gas only lanes are available. It is usually someone who leaves their vehicle at the pump and then goes in to take care of other business inside, without having the courtesy to move their vehicle out of the way first.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you want to putt around you can dump your tanks then pull over and put some water in the black tank then get back in line to dump the residuals. I have not had too many problems with the dump line backup. The folks that wait till checkout time to leave on a Sunday afternoon will probably see a line. If you get going by 7 or 8AM, then probably no one will be there.

It is comical to watch the idiots at a boat ramp. This is another reason not to have a boat.

Perry
Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
I've always decided on a situation by situation basis. When there is a line, yes I am in and out as quickly as I can sanitarily make it.

But when I'm the only one there and nobody is behind me, yes I dawdle some. My wife hollered at me while dawdling a couple years ago that another trailer had arrived. When I came out of the trailer the driver was clearly agitated that he had been forced to wait at all, heaven forbid the 15-30 seconds for me to come out again. As I was in was washing my hands after putting everything away.

He actually stuck his head out of the window and challenged why I hadn't moved yet. I'm not one to get flustered easily, so I fired back in a stern but still polite way, "You can wait your turn."

That little bit of control I exerted put him back in his truck. I could have left at that point since I was ready, but I figure you reap what you sow, and I made a reliability pass around the whole truck and trailer before getting in, buckling up, taking a drink, and then putting it in gear and driving away.

Best course of action, I don't know. I do know that I was not bothered by the extra two minutes I took, and if he was really upset at me he still sat there and said nothing more.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #22
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I show up 'prepared' and just clear out.

There are people who really need to be schooled... the guy who left his vehicle was probably one of "those guys" at the boat ramp, too.

Somedays I catch myself saying, "It is truly time to thin the herd!"... outloud...

Just this weekend, out with family at a restaurant, as leaving, we held a door for a young lady who was approaching with her hands tied up carrying a package. This 'guy' runs up from the hostess station and joyfully embraced her... for a while... I had to tap the guy on the shoulder twice, the second time telling him "that was rude!" ... he didn't get it.. for a second.. then moved on...
Common sense has almost been bred out of the species....
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
I have occasionally dumped and pulled forward a few feet when there was some last minute tidying to do but would not feel comfortable just sitting at the dump even if there was no line. Speaking of which, this weekend ...

The dump station won. We dumped at a county park that had just installed one of these evil devices:

Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
As a new AS owner and therefore a new dumper (exactly one time) I have to disagree with y'all. Not about someone walking away--that's just flippin' rude. But to criticize someone because they put gloves on? Because they took the time to get it right? Really?

I mean, hey--I also hate to wait. But come on, are you really going to criticize me because I run through my checklist, put on my gloves, make sure I do everything right, go inside to do the flush, dot my "i"s and cross my "t"s? If so, I think you need meditation, if not medication.

So, if you run into me and my checklist and gloves at a dump station, feel free to tell me all about my rudeness, right there at the dump station. I'm new at this. The dump hose might get loose and spray all over you. Ooops. Soooooooooo sorry.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Big difference between "doing it right", and deciding you need to change the water in the trap of your kitchen sink at the dump station!

Let if flow then get in and go!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
As a new AS owner and therefore a new dumper (exactly one time) I have to disagree with y'all. Not about someone walking away--that's just flippin' rude. But to criticize someone because they put gloves on? Because they took the time to get it right? Really?
I'm pretty sure no one cares if you use your gloves. I use hand wipes after I'm done, which amounts to the same thing. I doubt anyone has a problem with you cleaning up or preventing getting dirty in the first place.

I think the comment you're reacting to (since you didn't quote it, I won't bother to go find it) was more about someone intentionally doing everything they could to waste the time of the people behind them, rather than because they used gloves.

Quote:
The dump hose might get loose and spray all over you. Ooops. Soooooooooo sorry.
That's one possible reaction, I guess. It seems a bit over the top to me.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Just a word of cautiion here. Challenging someone about their dumping problems or predicting some sort of action against that person is out of order. The reaction to that action may be something you could never imagine in today's world. Please be careful. Jim
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Being English, I would rather drink a cup of cold sick than hold someone up at the dump station; it's in me genes unfortunately. That said, I'm always on vacation when I'm in my Airstream so I don't mind waiting for others to get done (with acknowledgement to Andy's issues with the young kids of course).

Where I do get upset is when people in front of me in the line at the grocery store stand and watch a week's shopping go over the scanner and only when the task is complete do they think about putting a couple of items in plastic bags. I'm not sure if it's a ruse to get the cashier to do the packing or just plain stupidity. We're packed and ready to go pretty much as the last item is scanned - see, there's the English again, not wanting to cause a hold up for anyone.
Luckily here, the cashier or the bag boy or girl bags the groceries, but you still have to wait for the little old lady to search for her check book after everything has been rung up.