Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Dump Station DUMB

We overnighted in Arrowhead Lake state park near Wichita Falls this week. Since it would be the last stop before home, we wanted to do a thorough clean-out at the dump station. That means extra time with the water hose hooked into the black tank to flush it really clean.

I was just getting started when a guy pulls up beind me in a pickup truck and gets out (no trailer). He says he's "just got a bucket to dump". Since the camp was full of big signs prohibiting gray water dumping, I figured he had a tote for his gray water. Since I wanted to take my time, I told him to go ahead (it was a 1-hole dump)

So, I pull out my hose from the hole, and he comes over with a 5-gallon bucket full of RAW SEWAGE and dumps it - of course it runs all around the enclosure before going into the hole.

The odor was, shall we say, envigorating.

Then he goes and gets a second bucket and repeats he process, then leaves me to clean up the crap (no pun intended). My wife comes gagging out of the Airstream asking what went wrong with the dump!

There were so many good titles for this thread, but I figured I'd get censored!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
It takes all kinds........ I have seen some real messy dump stations and often wondered what goes through the minds (or lack there of) of some people.

Funny, I once pulled up to a dump station behind one old timer. He had plastic bags on his feet, latex gloves on covered by the dish washing heavy gloves. He said he has been camping a while and hated dump stations. I'm beginning to believe he had the right idea, no telling what you could run into.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I didn't realize Randy Quaid had moved to Wichita Falls.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We've been at a few stations where there has been a line of dumpers.
One thing I DIDN'T do is rush, put on the gloves follow the procedure that works for me, take at least 5min flushing the black with the pump. And clean up after, leave it better than you found it. If anyone complained..I just asked them to do the same.

We kind'a lucky now in that I have rigged a dump into our sewer, the line runs right next to the pad. For the last 3 seasons have I been able to dump in my own yard.(just like Fado). Makes it a lot easier to completely flush. Also found that running without dumping right away seems to break things up in the BT.

Bob
Old 10-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You now know the reason that Wichita Falls is known as the armpit of Texas. If it's hot somewhere else, it'll be hotter in W-F. If there's a tornado elsewhere, in W-F it's worse and kills more people. Certainly, the "scenery" cannot be more depressing. And if it smells worse in Lubbock (feedlots) well, in W-F it smells worse, too, as . . . .
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote