Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Cool Dump Station Blues

If I was a trailer park troubadour I'd write a ditty called Dump Station Blues. Luckily for all I am not.

Was reading the following thread >>> http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tte-34602.html

And got to wondering how many of you all have pulled up to the Dump Station to find it full (not of other trailers, but of other's trailings) or so near full that you are afraid to dump.
I wonder if most dump station tanks are just that, holding-only tanks or if many are some type of septic system that bleeds off all or part of the sludge and most of the liquid?
I always hope that the tank is well reinforced above as I can't imagine the horror of a cave in while my trailer (and me) were working above. I have known of a few folk that have dropped a wheel into a septic tank cave-in, but never heard of such with a dump station.
Do most all dump stations have a water hose to wash down and clean up after yourselves?
And last question is how much of the slinky do you let enter the dump opening? Is it common for the damm thing to dance out of the hole when the valve is opened?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Drummer,,, yep,, once on the Fourth of July came upon the only dump station for miles in Idaho,, was full,, had no choice,, dumped,,, and hoped it would flow down into the holding tank,,, you have to hang on to the hose,, pressure of moving sewage and water,, and lastly think all dump stations could vary from a tank to a septic system or sewage system,,, that ol stinky slinky can come alive,,, good luck and happy trails,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
When I find a dump station like that, I just keep going. It's an unpleaseant job at best, and I won't take the chance of it becoming a disaster.

I have an RV park just a couple of miles from my house, and if I don't find a suitable public dump on the way home, I can go to that RV park and dump for five bucks. Well worth it to me to have a good, clean dump station.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We are just getting started, this is our first year Camping. We visited 6 SP's here in Ohio and 2 in Michigan. We never found one to be really nasty. We did find one Ohio SP where someone ahead of us had taken the wash/rinse hose,luckily we carry a collapsible 25 ft hose that rolls up to almost nothing. We usually wet the area around the opening first so if we have a spill it will wash away easily. Call us stupid I guess. if we find a mess we usually clean up if necessary before and after we use the facility.
Drummer We use a very short peice 4FT of Stinky Slinky that I made up for dumping the 42 gal tote and the trailer. I found the the normal length of Stinky Slinky is to hard to handle. We double team the operation,we get gloved up and She stands on the hose while I operate the valves. This may gross out some people, but I grew up on a dairy farm and my wife before she retired was a house keeper at a Rest home, SO MESSES really dont bother us. Of course We really dont like cleanin other peoples messes . Ya do what ya have too.
Im just not sure if Dumpstations are pumped out or if the are tank and leach-bed setups. If anyone knows I would be interested also.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have a septic tank at home and my clean out can be reached with a twenty foot hose... SO if need be I can dump at home...

My best story, I was dumping in ZION and these rent an RV folks pulled through the wrong way in front of me.. So I sat there and let them do there thing... Well they stopped at the dump part and pull the hanging spray hose out and started to fill the fresh water tank with it... Well I jump out and started yelling "THATS NOT DRINKING WATER>>." They stopped and ask what I was saying... "I told them the blue spigot at the other end was the fresh water....

They back up and got out there hose and filled up... Mean while after dump I used the spray hose to clean out my hoses... There was even a big sign that said "Not for Drinking" Man I hope they didn't get sick.....

THey stopped and

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We have a septic system at home and it looks like there's a couple clean-outs. Does that mean we can just dump right into one of those?
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Last weekend we had an idiot in front of us at the dump station. He took his time hooking up the pressure water hose to one of those attachments where the water pressure back washes the tanks. He was there for over 30 minutes while 15 trailers were waiting in line.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Like a backed up terlit, what goes around goes around. Or another year, another verse -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...lies-4709.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
We have a septic system at home and it looks like there's a couple clean-outs. Does that mean we can just dump right into one of those?

Yep, just put your hose in the top and let it go.... just make sure the one you put it in angles back toward the septic tank not the house... ( you don't want that mess) They angle each way for cleaning up the line or down....

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Wink Nope real name is not John

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Like a backed up terlit, what goes around goes around. Or another year, another verse -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...lies-4709.html

Wow first time I have been called a terlit.

I didn't see that follies thread til I looked at the similars under this thread. I did BTW run a search using dump station and that one either didnt come up or I didnt scroll thru far enough. When wadin' in poop you just can't stay forever.

However my real purpose with this thread was to find out a bit about Dump Station Architecture and find out about how much hose to insert in the hole in the ground. I mean do most place a length of rigid (PVC) on the end of the stink-slink and drop that into the hole? It is just a hole is it not? Or do some have some type of fitting you lock onto? My trailer has been used primarily as a park model, and the few times I have stayed in it in transit, we didn't use the toilet but instead the bath house or park facilities.
Anything that goes down-hole must come up a tad nasty IMO. (DIRSayThat?)
And I would think cleaning the outside of the accordian folded hose would be a real PITArse.
Butt the dumpin' anecdotes are very interesting as well. and real funny too.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Yes I do. But be carefull that you are using SEPTIC FRIENDLY chemicals in your black tank. You could destroy the bacteria in your home septic system. That 'awful' bacteria is your friend down in there.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Yes I do. But be carefull that you are using SEPTIC FRIENDLY chemicals in your black tank. You could destroy the bacteria in your home septic system. That 'awful' bacteria is your friend down in there.
Neil

I just throw a packet of yeast down the sink once a month.... with hot water...

Ok The dump stations I have dumped at and thats only about 7 or so.... The hole is about the same size as the one in a hook up site... I just use the 45 degree fitting on the end and put it in the top of the hole... When done, I disconnect from the trailer, and use the spray out hose or hook my hose up with a spray head on it and spray out my hose..... while still in the hole so it all goes in..... Then I spay of the ground because some all ways get there.. Always wear rubber gloves Disposable type the doctors use... then put it all away and throw the gloves in the garbage that they have at the dump station... Then head for home....

PS the drinking water is not usually by the dump but a bit away... Never fill up with the hose buy the dump unless posted that it is drinking water.... NEVER>>>>>

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
...<snip>...

However my real purpose with this thread was to find out a bit about Dump Station Architecture and find out about how much hose to insert in the hole in the ground. I mean do most place a length of rigid (PVC) on the end of the stink-slink and drop that into the hole? It is just a hole is it not? Or do some have some type of fitting you lock onto? ...<snip>...
The structure of dump stations probably depends on where you are and whether a sewer system is available to the location...there are probably some that go into septic tanks, and there are others that are going right into a sewage system. (Both can have their overflow issues if something is wrong.)

Most of the dump stations we've used have a cap or cover of some sort over the dump hole, which is slightly larger than the 3" slinky hose...we usually put just the very end of the slinky into the hole and either hold it in place or weight it with a rock or the dump cap to make sure it doesn't come out (yuck). We have used the sewer hole fitting attached to the end of the hose as we do in a full hookup camp site...if there is time and it seems that it will work better. We have seen no 2 dump stations set up the same....some are great and some show little forethought of what needs to be done. Some are very clean and some are a mess. Some previous users are thoughtful and some are not. Roll with the punches and be prepared for anything, and all will be well. Happy dumping!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Generally, I think most dump stations are septic systems. I try to put the 90 degree elbow on the end if no one is waiting so the hose doesn't go down into the hole. Sometimes the affluent from the last guy is still near the top and I don't want that on the outside of my hose.

Oh yeah, I always wear disposable nylon gloves; they are stronger than the latex gloves and don't cost any more...or any appreciable amount more. And then I use hand sanitizer after I remove the gloves.

Our unit has the flush system so I keep a separate garden hose to use with it and will flush the black tank for 2-3 minutes twice with a partial fill between each. I leave about 3-4 gallons in the tank to add tank agent to when I get home. Of course I speed things up if anyone is waiting.

Unfortunately I can't get to our clean-out at home or I'd do some of this at home. But the clean-out is on the other side of the house from the driveway. After having a hose come apart and spill on the ground when dumping the black tank at a campground once, I bought the kind of connector that has the spiral wire connector on both the straight connector and 90 degree elbow at the sewer entrance. I don't ever want to experience black tank spill on the ground again...and I don't want to have to face my neighbors with that experience again either!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Gusher

A few years ago, I was next in line with a big, old motorhome piloted by an ancient couple. He took the cap off and was greeted by a gusher of sewage up to his knees. Fortunately, the slope took it away from me.

I had just enough space to back upo a few feet and get out from behind him. Even more fortunate there were two sections of the state park and each had its own dump station.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
A few years ago, I was next in line with a big, old motorhome piloted by an ancient couple. He took the cap off and was greeted by a gusher of sewage up to his knees. Fortunately, the slope took it away from me.

I had just enough space to back upo a few feet and get out from behind him. Even more fortunate there were two sections of the state park and each had its own dump station.

yep he did what I did, forgot to close the gate valve after the last dump .

When I dump at ZION NP i forgot to close it and put the cap on.... Combined black and grey on our friends Trailer we borrowed.. Only the kids going pee, and some hand washing on the way home.... But his gate valve leaks a little, so when we go home I parked right infornt on the front door on the driveway and drained the water lines and HW tank because it was getting really cold at night.. Well I thought I better take that cap off incase there was a little water in there from the leak that might freeze...

SURPRISE. not a lot about 2 gallons off pee, water, and tp landed on my paved driveway... just missed my foot... Some of the tp is still there, won't come off..... It was quit funny at the time.. I still laugh about it now

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Septic tank system etiquette....

Quote:
You must be new to your house! Those are clean-outs and the pumping service must be performed on a regular basis depending on the size of the tanks and the number of people that use it. Only two of us left here so it is once about every five years. Tank pumping is many times cheaper than having the system rebuilt.

Look in the Yellow Pages under septic cleaning or pumping and discuss w/ them the frequency of pumping before you need them on a holiday Sunday at midnight!

As to your question, use the cleanout pipe (usually pvc w/ a cap on more modern systems) closest to the house. My system has two tanks w/ two chambers in each. As the first one fills, the solids sink and the water goes over the top to the next chamber and so on. The idea is that there are no solids to make it to the lateral field--very important in my system as it is pumped uphill!
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in MO View Post
You must be new to your house! Those are clean-outs and the pumping service must be performed on a regular basis depending on the size of the tanks and the number of people that use it. Only two of us left here so it is once about every five years.
Soil condition and system type make a big difference. Our family was one of the first to build in our neighborhood twelve years ago. No one on our street has had to have their system pumped yet. Only one house in our neighborhood has had their tank pumped so far and that was several years ago. I know we are all on borrowed time perhaps, but my parents lived in their house in south Georgia (sandy/clay mix) for more than 15 years before they had theirs pumped.

Larry's advise to check locally to see how often it needs to be done is good advise. You should also check with your county health department and neighbors to see how often others have had to have it done. If you call a professional, they will tell you the minimum frequency and if you call the health department they will give you a more realistic range. Your neighbors will give you a more practical time frame.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Keep that yeast going down the lines, AND DON"T USE ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP... It kills all the little guys that eat all your poop..!!!!

If you take care of it you don't have to have it pumped that often....

My grass is so green over the septic field....

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Tom. The soil type has nothing to do with how long you can go before pumping. You NEVER want ANY solids to go out into the drain field. Once it is plugged, you are looking at $10k minimum around here, since they require engineered systems for any repairs. The frequency depends on the size of the tank, how many people are in the house, whether you have a garbage disposal, how much bleach and other chemicals go down the drain, and whether your laundry is hooked up to the tank. I am a firm believer in what Larry said, it is better to spend $150 to get it pumped than to risk the alternative.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote