Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Duh! Tent stakes and cord!

We went to our first rally this past weekend and picked up this simple tip. Rather than having to put away your awning when it is windy, use the old camper trick. Most of the trailers has screw in ground anchors with line to both ends of the awning to hold it down. Sure I did tent camping years ago, but it never clicked.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
We went to our first rally this past weekend and picked up this simple tip. Rather than having to put away your awning when it is windy, use the old camper trick. Most of the trailers has screw in ground anchors with line to both ends of the awning to hold it down. Sure I did tent camping years ago, but it never clicked.
I've used that trick more than once, but in one case it backfired. The wind kept picking up, and while the awning was in no danger of being carried away or flipping up over my Airstream, I thought the fabric might rip, it was flapping so hard. So I was faced with putting away the awning in an even stiffer wind than I was accustomed to, and that was not a fun experience! So now, instead of tying down my awning to resist higher winds, I just bite the bullet and put the awning away when the wind starts picking up.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
My fear with that is the awning arms would bend or twist, and that would require tools to take awning off the Airstream, since they have to be in and correct to move the trailer.

The easiest and best awaning I ever had was on a TAB where we could stake it. We threaded it through the channel, which was no big deal, for me it was easy and I could leave it up. It doubled the inside space(which was small to begin with).

The funfinder was electric, open and close with touch of button, but we never left the campsite with it out, same with the Airstream.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
WE use the screw in dog anchors and lightweight ratcheting straps. Move them out about 45 degree on each corner.. Very stable and not much flapping when you are tensioning out as well as down
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
WE use the screw in dog anchors and lightweight ratcheting straps. Move them out about 45 degree on each corner.. Very stable and not much flapping when you are tensioning out as well as down
Doesn't help for my Fiamma awning, which is a different design from the Zip-Dees.