Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Driving the Blue Ridge

I tried searching for threads on driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy, but didn't do something correctly, so will ask it in a new one. We want to drive the Blue Ridge next summer from Ashevillle to Roanoke, pulling our 25 ft Tradewind. How white-knuckle is it? I pulled a small popup along some of this route many years ago but forget just how tight the turns are.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
In my mind, the Parkway is much easier to drive than most secondary mountain roads. Also, the roadway surface is good and access is controlled so that there is less opportunity for vehicles to pull in front of you unexpectedly.

What I have found is that, because the highway is easier to drive that many vehicles tend to drive fast and tailgate if you are driving at a modest pace. This doesn't make much sense to me for a scenic drive but then, a lot of things people do don't make much sense to me. The good news is that there are frequent scenic pull offs so it easy to pull over and let them pass.

Hope this helps and happy travels.

Steve
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I live close to the Roanoke end. I wouldn't hesitate to pull my AS on it....I guess you know Highland Haven AS park is close to the Roanoke end.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've driven the whole BRP many times, with my 25' I own now and several prior 30' Airstreams. With your rig you should have no problems. No white knuckles anywhere for me. The speed limit is 45, except a few places 35. Keep speeds low on the downhill grades.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Blue Ridge Parkway Asheville to Roanoke

This will be a beautiful drive. Be sure to allow some time to visit Mabry Mill in Virginia and the Churches of the Frescoes, in Ashe County NC near Boone.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
Gordon

2014 30' International
Scarborough , Ontario
We travelled the Blue Ridge last Spring with the WBCCI National caravan and had a great time. Our first real towing adventure with a 30' Airstream, and the route was not difficult at all.
Our longest day was about 100 miles and that was enough. I'd suggest keeping your driving ambition down to 75 miles or less to get the full benefit of the views and the experience.
It's a beautiful trip.
Gmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Crackers View Post
I tried searching for threads on driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy, but didn't do something correctly, so will ask it in a new one. We want to drive the Blue Ridge next summer from Ashevillle to Roanoke, pulling our 25 ft Tradewind. How white-knuckle is it? I pulled a small popup along some of this route many years ago but forget just how tight the turns are.
Its been some years since I took this wonderful drive and I don't recall any 'white knuckle' experiences. One thing I would like to point out if you don't already know:
There is a marvelous Airstream Park above Roanoke with about 35-38 spaces and
should be a must for you. People are terrific and scenery can't be beat. Only Airstreams are allowed. Have fun!
Jeff
jeffbec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have done that drive and I do consider it more white knuckle than the Interstate or normal two lane roads. After I learned to stay in the middle except when I saw oncoming traffic, it was a lot easier. Trying to stay exactly in your lane on all the twisties can be demanding, hence my "use the whole road" concept. I also found that despite the 45 mph speed limit, 40 mph was more reasonable for much of the trip.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Go for it. I've been the entire length from the beginning in VA to the end in Cherokee, NC. Don't try it in winter. It's the best if you are not in a hurry and just want to see the scenery.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have traveled the BRP many times. There is nothing white knuckle about it except in the fog. Avoid it when foggy!

Silverbee- I am not familiar with the Churches of the Frescoes. What is this?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
We've done it in our VW Pop-up and another time pulling a small camper. The only "white-knuckle" part of the experience is the tour buses. They go way too fast and come way too close. We did not know about the AS Park and look forward to trying it.
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you haven't picked campgrounds, Bedford is near Roanoke. This fall, we stayed several nights at the Bedford Visitor Center, which has three campsites in their parking lot. Full hookups were $25, but we used electric only for $10.

Our main purpose at this location was to see the National D-Day Memorial, but we were lucky enough to be there for the Bedford Community Orchestra Fall Concert at the local high school. (Admission was free, with donations accepted.) What a wonderful surprise. The concert rivaled performances we have attended at the Phoenix Symphony (Phoenix, AZ).

The Visitor Center usually limits stays to overnight, for those visiting the D-Day Memorial. However, if there are no RVs there, you can stay longer. We were there five nights while we visited Appomattox Court House, Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest and Lynchburg.

Note: The Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park was closed for the winter when we were in the area. While we haven't stayed there, I'm sure it's also a great place to stop.

==========

Bedford Area Visitor Center - RV Campsites
816 Burks Hill Road
Bedford, VA 24523
540-587-5681

GPS: 37° 19.491'N 79° 31.932'W

Visitor Center has three RV parking sites in parking lot. Grass lawn borders visitor center and parking area. Restrooms in Visitor Center; no actual camping facilities (no picnic table, fire ring, showers, laundry, pool, etc.). Campsite is parking only. However, area is well lit and patrolled at night by local police (AMTRAK commuter parking and city vehicles in lot). Walmart is 2 miles east. Road noise from adjacent highway during daytime.

Strong cellphone & 4G mobile broadband. OTA TV signals: Strong = ABC, NBC, ION, FOX, CW. Weak = PBS. No signal = CBS.

Rates: $25/night, full hookups. We paid $10 for electric only (did not use water and sewer).

Website: Visit Bedford Virginia | National D-Day Memorial, Beale's Treasure, Peaks of Otter, Smith Mountain Lake
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I agree that the idiots speed and tail gate. I don't no how some don't go over edge. I drove BPW in Oct. at peak of colors, left AS in park where we stayed in Ashville NC. Visitors center just off freeway at Ashville then can go So. or No. and enjoy the drive. Have full tank of gas and picnic lunch as NO gas stations on parkway, have to get off & find gas station small towns. Picnic lunch as not much food either plus enjoyable to eat at one of many lookouts. There is restrictions as to lenght of trailers allowed. I would not pull AS as hard to enjoy scenery and history of BPW. I have pulled trailers every where for 64 yrs. and not afraid of any thing, but BPW is out of Q. for trailer.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
With a speed limit of 45 expect to take your time, which is of course the best way to make this drive.

See FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - Blue Ridge Parkway for more info.

Of note is
Q: Can large RV's travel the Parkway?
A:
Yes. Explore the list of all tunnel clearances on the Parkway.
Q: What is the lowest clearance of tunnels or bridges over the Parkway?
A:
TheSouth End between Route 19 and terminus at Cherokee is 10’6”. Explore the list of all tunnel clearances on the Parkway.
That is cutting it a bit close
Doc Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nemo , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I agree that the idiots speed and tail gate. I don't no how some don't go over edge.
Most of these are locals that use the parkway daily as a commuter route to get to points north or south across the mountain.
clarklaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Virginia Highland Haven / BENT Mountain

Is a totally LOVELY park and inexpensive to stay at. Do go to their website and check it out. Highly recommend.

Virginia Highland Haven recommends that those coming from the North EXIT the parkway at Roanoke and use US 221: The reason is Bent Mountain. THAT stretch IMHO would be a bit too white knuckle for moi! My sis and I did the trip in the tow vehicle - and that was fine, but dragging an Airstream NO thank you.

From their website:
From the Blue Ridge Parkway southbound: South to Adney Gap at Milepost 136, exit to US 221, then follow US 221 South to SR 610 West. Then for all of the above: Follow SR 610 West 1.3 mi to SR 649 North, turn right on SR 649 (Conner Road) and proceed 0.3 mile to SR 792 West for 0.7 mile and look for an American flag at the entrance to Virginia Highland Haven on the right.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
Thank you EVERYONE! I'm never disappointed with the depth (and girth) of knowledge on this forum. Thanks for the web links, the specific cautions and the overall encouragement. Last time I drove it (with the popup) it was foggy, desolate and scary. Thanks for the confidence that it should be enjoyable vs., dreaded.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #19
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoore View Post
We travelled the Blue Ridge last Spring with the WBCCI National caravan and had a great time. Our first real towing adventure with a 30' Airstream, and the route was not difficult at all.

Our longest day was about 100 miles and that was enough. I'd suggest keeping your driving ambition down to 75 miles or less to get the full benefit of the views and the experience.

It's a beautiful trip.

Gordon, did you travel with those folks from Mississippi? I understand y'all had a WONDERFUL time. Tell Elly I said Hello. Oh and I loved the way you addressed that Christmas card. 😎

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Isn't the parkway a federal road? That means a speeding ticket would be for a federal court.??
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote