Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Driving on the left in the USA.

In the USA we drive on the right!! Well, maybe not:

I-5 in Southern Oregon, Exit 24, between Medford and Ashland.

Now, thanks to Gas Buddy, I pulled off here for cheap fuel. I felt surprised and very uncomfortable driving on the left side of this overpass. I snapped this street level photo at the traffic cross over point when re-crossing to return to I-5 southbound.

OK, some traffic engineers had an epiphany and the driving public gets a one off. Or so I thought until I got to Santa Fe. Here’s a photo of a drive-on-the-left underpass.

I-25 exits 278 and 278B south of Santa Fe, NM:

So how many left-hand-drive over/under passes are there?

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Lots. They’re a growing trend in highway design, along with the surge in roundabouts. Like your experience, they’re a little disorienting the first few times through one.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Becoming very common in the Atlanta area and has previously mentioned, roundabout is common as well. I don’t mind the right-hand side drive but the roundabouts are a booger while towing.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Tin Man

1983 27' Excella
Charlottesville , Virginia
There is one near my house. It quickly becomes no big deal, though if I am following someone with out of state plates, I watch for them to get confused
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
We have them in Missouri also. They are called Divergent Diamond interchanges.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
We have a couple of those crazy overpasses here. At first there were a number of accidents. People seem to be getting used to them and settling down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
There are plenty of "Left Exit Ahead" circumstances which become 2-lane roads with both lanes moving in the same direction [until you reach a stop light, have to merge with another road, etc.].

The traffic coming toward you in the opposite direction [on your right] is usually separated by a median or raised concrete barrier, etc..

If the signage is done correctly, and gives sufficient warning, everything works out, although the first time through that area can be confusing. The signage is often the weak link in the chain IMO.

By the way -- if you have never driven in England, Ireland, the British Virgin Islands, etc., you have missed a good learning experience to re-orient your brain, feet, and shifting hand. The first time I did this, the first roundabout was a total brain overload, as it is for many first-timers. Can't imagine towing a trailer in that new situation!

Cheerio Matey . . .

Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Diamond Crossovers/Interchanges!

As mentioned above, they do take a bit to get used to. The idea behind them is to keep traffic moving to reduce congestion and the “T-Bone” type of accident just like the roundabouts do! There is a YouTube video by, I believe, Wendover Productions on Traffic that explains everything well. Motor On!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Diverging Diamond

That is called a Diverging Diamond Interchange. The are all the rage in congested intersections where there is not enough land to locate a full diamond interchange. The concept is that there is no cross traffic (like left turn lanes that have to wait for a light change) so traffic flows through in all directions when the lights are green. They are much more efficient that standard interchanges. I would think if you are towing they would be easier to navigate since you would just flow through your turns without having to pull across oncoming traffic on high volume intersections.

By the way, I think this came out of some college kid's design project.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
I've never encountered one...yet. Seems like a good idea but I think it might be majorly confusing the first time encountered. But here is a good video explaining it.

AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Site Team

, Minnesota
It looks like they save a lot of concrete and acres of easements.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
They are difficult to understand with the promotion videos, but quite easy to use when you transition one, because we are all used to following lanes. The primary challenge of all non-standard traffic management systems is poor signage and in snow conditions, lane recognition. The standard 4-way intersection is easy to understand, because of familiarity. Had a round about in Tulsa that was not difficult, because it was so big, you had time to figure out what was needed, make your lane change and move on. Many new round abouts are small, confusing and at least in CA, suffer from poor ROW recognition. The CA stop sign roll gets amplified to a no slow transition. You can never be certain there will be a yield if you enter.

Wonder how self driving cars get programed for them? Pat
Old 01-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sparks , Nevada
driving on left

We also have one of those in RENO, NV. works OK as long as traffic does not back up beyond the diversion point.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I have taken the Medford 24 exit a few times myself. First time wife is yelling at me you are on the wrong side of the road. I panicking back at her saying, I was just following the lane.
A few moments later we both laughed about it.

Matti