Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Drive-in Airstream Resort Opening May 6th in Utah

Shooting Star Drive-In - Opening May 6, 2011

What a Destination!

The Shooting Star Drive-In is a fabulous new Airstream Resort AND a classic 1960s Drive-In Movie Theater AND an Airstream-only Park opening May 6, 2011.

Located in the heart of Southern Utah's red rock canyon country, the resort borders the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and is just a short drive from Bryce Canyon National Park. The Escalante River flows along the resort and a few miles downstream are the world-reknowned Slot Canyons.

Airstreams Fit for a Star

Each Airstream is decorated to resemble the trailer of a Hollywood Movie Star while they were shooting on location. Imagine staying in Marilyn Monroe's Airstream while she was shooting "Some Like It Hot" or Humphrey Bogart's Airstream in Casablanca.

Each Airstream features a private bathroom, a fully-equipped kitchen and queen beds with luxurious sheets, down pillows and comforter, fluffy towels and bath products that will probably end up in your suitcase.

Relax on your own private deck and drink in the views from your Adirondack chairs while dinner sizzles on your propane barbecue grill.

Enjoy a New Movie Every Night!

Hop into one of our classic convertibles from the '50s and '60s parked in the Shooting Star Drive-In and enjoy the sunset. Then sit back for the evening's entertainment of cartoons, serials and the Feature Attraction. Visit the ConcessionAir Snack Bar for tasty pizzas, popcorn with real butter, shakes, malts and all of your favorite movie treats.
Specialties

Resort Accommodations, Spectacular Location, Hiking, Canyoneering & Exploring, Big Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stunning_Setting_23993035_std.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	127876   Click image for larger version

Name:	14_239115451_std.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	127877  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TonyCurtisSomeLikeItHot_239131554_std.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	127878   Click image for larger version

Name:	coyote-gulch-escalante-river-canyons-utah1-450x337_239114100_std.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	127879  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Sounds like a nice resort, but is there camping there?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

I went to the website and there is camping there. It looks really nice!!!! I've just added it to my list of places to go!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Just tried to submit a message. No joy. Looks like a neat place, if only for 18 of us at a time. Would like to go in October, on the way to or from the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
I wonder what the rules of admission are, MH's allowed? Only aluminum ones? How about the LY/Legacy's (the dreaded fiberglass), etc? (Notice the avatar)
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We're booked to stay there duing the first week of June. We'll be coming back from a rt. 66 trip so we thought we'd like to check it out. We'll most likely spend the days hiking and then kicking back at the drive in for the evening.
The owner said he just came back with Audrey Hepburn's Airstream while she was shooting Breakfast at Tiffany's, so I take it that all the Airstreams decorated after the stars where actually the Airstream they used while on a movie location. He has 18 sites for Airstreams only. 9 with full hookups and 9 with power and water. We don't usually go for hookups but this just sounded like a great sidebar to our trip for a few days. I love drive ins and hope to be able to check out a few of the Airstreams he refurbished.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
This could be just the place to go from Area 33 to the FCU rally!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I want to see lots of pictures and hear all about it please!!! It sounds fantastic.

photography
Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
My kinda place - wish there were more places like this....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Awesome! Thanks for sharing...

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Without trying to look or sounds like 2Air....

This topic was mentioned a few times previously. Try post 14 in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post974359 where pacerized talks about plans to stay there.

Another thread introducing the Shooting star can be seen at New Airstream Resort to Open in May.

I emailed some questions and did hear back. Was told it really wasn't a place for kids and we should not stay there with our almost 7 year old.

Steve
Old 04-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I'll drive by their entrance sign en route to inexpensive, beautiful, and "all welcome" camping in the Park or on BLM land. These "members only" places make my skin crawl.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
I'll drive by their entrance sign en route to inexpensive, beautiful, and "all welcome" camping in the Park or on BLM land. These "members only" places make my skin crawl.
My wife talked to the owner about their pet policy and pets are welcome. Read every post here twice and went to their website. How did you determine that this is a "members only" park?
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post

This topic was mentioned a few times previously. Try post 14 in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post974359 where pacerized talks about plans to stay there.

Another thread introducing the Shooting star can be seen at New Airstream Resort to Open in May.

I emailed some questions and did hear back. Was told it really wasn't a place for kids and we should not stay there with our almost 7 year old.

Steve

Now, now---someone has to be the King of Threads.

Looks like a very, very cool place.

Such memories a drive-in theatre would evoke.........

Maggie
Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post

Steve
I knew I had seen it. I tried searching for it too but couldn't find it. It was brought up in the Hello from Michigan thread about a rally at a drive-in and I remembered at least formerly reading a post but it evaded my search. I have basically zero success with the forum search agent unless you remember who posted or the name of the thread. I miss 2Air. I guess this is another subject that has more than one thread now too. With a few weeks until opening I would be glad to hear more about it on anyone's thread.

photography
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . .we are going to try this place on our 'Western Swing' this Summer. If no one reports prior, we'll let y'all know. Looks like fun for big kids (like me) Regards, Craig
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
My wife talked to the owner about their pet policy and pets are welcome. Read every post here twice and went to their website. How did you determine that this is a "members only" park?
I meant only that the camping sites are for Airstream owners only, no other types of campers or RVs allowed. I enjoy meeting other campers with different kinds of rigs other than the brand name I happen to now own, and enjoy camp sites where the welcome mat is out for all. I don't really see how exclusivity of Trailer Brand adds anything enriching to the camping/RVing experience, but then I've never been a club enthusiast. See you out in the boondocks...
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
I happen to now own, and enjoy camp sites where the welcome mat is out for all. ...
I really enjoy talking to other Airstreamers and like being around them. However, I've never enjoyed being excluded or exclusive either. Sometimes I've wanted to stay at an RV park only to learn it was "Class A Only" ... it always kind of ticks me to be shunned when my trailer and TV are well kept and nicer than many of those class a types.

Where is your RV Park?
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
That place looks fun and I love that area. Seeing a movie at the drive in would be a blast from the past, the last movie I saw at the drive in was Star Wars they don't have any drive in theaters around here anymore.

But since I have "vintage kin", a 1963 Avalair, looks like we are out.
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
That place looks fun and I love that area. Seeing a movie at the drive in would be a blast from the past, the last movie I saw at the drive in was Star Wars they don't have any drive in theaters around here anymore.

But since I have "vintage kin", a 1963 Avalair, looks like we are out.
I'll bet it would be worth asking. I'd hope anyone who appreciates old Airstreams to the point to do what this guy has, would appreciate your rig as well. It's not like it's a wbcci owned park. I miss old drive ins also, then only one's I know of in the state are Ft. Collins, Delta, and Montrose. The one in Buena Vista didn't open last year for the first time and that was the closest one to us.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote