Old 12-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Question Drinking water

I have just flushed and sanitized and refilled my fresh water tank for a Christmas trip, I also have another trip in mid January and just wondered if the weather did not force me to winterize before then if my water would still be fresh. Does anyone know how long water can stay in the fresh tank and remain OK to drink and use?

Why settle for anything less?
1995 34ft Classic Excella 1000
2012 Kings Ranch F-250 FX-4, 6.7 diesel, 6 speed auto trans.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
First of all we do not water from the holding tank. The water in the tank we reserve for shower, washing dishes and flushing. Bottled water to be safe for drinking and cooking. I have a plastic water tank but don't trust a questionable source. You will see all kinds of comments referring to cleansing cleaning etc, that's all well and good but drinking??

We calculate a gallon a day for 2 people, Walmart under a dollar a gallon. No brainer!!

Bill and Janice, We're lovin' it! (Airstreaming)

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
In a perfect world the water will stay "fresh" indefinately. However, perfect worlds are rare. If your tank is clean and sealed, you'll be safe for a long time. If there is bacteria in the tank, it will grow more the longer it is in the tank, but time will vary depending on water temperature and oxygen in the water. A good quality poly tank, shouldn't leach chemicals into the water, but some don't believe that. Taste of the water may change by sitting in the tank, which is largely a function of adsoption or desorption of oxygen. Shouldn't effect safety unless other contaminants are introduced.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #4

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Bottled water is an incredible waste of resources and money. Clean tap water is much healthier. Keeping your tank clean is a simple process and only needs to be done about once a year.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
planning for full time...
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
We usually use bottled water or "city water" hookup at a campground. On our last trip in PA we went to a local restaurant that REFUSED to give us tap water. They said we had to purchase bottled water because the tap water was unsafe to drink. Quick internet search revealed that there were a lot of concerns with water in the area.

Going forward we will not be so quick to drink the local water at unknown locations.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If you are getting your water from a chlorinated source then I would think it would be fine sitting there for two weeks since you have previously chlorinated and cleaned your tank. If you fill the tank with well water or another source that is not chlorinated, I would probably empty any unused amount weekly.

We routinely drink the water from the tank and so far have not had any adverse effects. We do however, maintain a good cleaning/chlorination regimen and dump the water if not used after a week.
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I would fill the freshwater tank shortly before each trip, and drain it immediately afterwards. If you have the time, give the tank an additional full flush before re-filling.

A somewhat related recent thread:
Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Go to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They have instructions on using bleach in a very low concentration to make water safe to drink, such as after a natural disaster. Not saying it tastes good....
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have always drunk water from our fresh water tank and will continue to do so. If we get water from a city source it will be chlorinated. When we get water from a campground that may not be using a city water source or from and unfamiliar place, we add a small amount of bleach and we use an in-line filter. We cycle through the water in the fresh water tank rather often because even when we have city water available, we use water in the fresh water tank and refill it as needed. This keeps it fresh. We've never had an issue.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm in the camp that saves the tank water for dishes showers and flushing. We have a brita filter we use for drinking and cooking water. At least that's what we do when we don't have a water hook up.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Tank water is for washing dishes, showers and flushing the toilet. Drinking water is usually brought from home and carried in a 5 gallon cooler...

FWIW I flush and sanitize my system a couple of times a year, more often is I suspect an issue.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
water in the tank

I have had water in my tanks on my sailboat for 6 months without any problems. I would think it is more a question of type of tank, cleanliness of tank and the water. We have a filter for the drinking water tap in the AS. I have never really worried about how long water sits in the tank.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I routinely keep a full fresh tank throughout hurricane season, in case I need to bug out for an approaching storm. That's a solid six months that the water sits in the tank. Thanks to treating the water as well as sanitizing the tank beforehand, I have no worries about the water being safe to drink.

Here's a fun fact to know and tell. In addition to using Clorox bleach to sanitize your fresh tank at the start of the season, you can use it to treat drinking water. EPA primary standards for safe drinking water allow up to 4 parts per million of chlorine in drinking water. (See for a complete list of regulated chemicals and the acceptable limits for each.) Unfortunately, some people with very sensitive palettes can taste 4 ppm of chlorine. But as long as there is even 1 part per million of chlorine remaining in the water, no microbes will grow in the water. No one has a palette sensitive enough to taste just 1 ppm. Plus you can remove small amounts of chlorine just before you drink the water by filtering it through a granular activated carbon filter.

To find out how much Clorox to add to your full fresh tank to keep the water safe to drink, consult this webpage: It's a lot less than you use to sanitize the tank.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote