Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
And then you camped under the trees where your solar would not properly charge or there was no sun for days....you needed to use your AC or heat could not be used because you couldn't charge your batteries...life happens; did for us a couple times...before I purchased a generator as backup! Generators provide another level of insurance for us who boondock..
Yep...

I'm a working full timer. I have small machines that have to be run on 110 and would drain batteries. I don't think any thing less than an advanced solar system would cut it and I know nothing about them so...

I can't get left out with no power... that would put me out of business or force me to stay at full hook up sites..

Ooops! I guess that's the situation I find myself in.... no boon docking this summer unless I drop another $1000....

Can you imagine buying a brand new $1000+ item and not be able to use it for months and have to drag it around and contact numerous service centers to see if they can get it repaired in less than 2 weeks

Thanks a lot Honda!

EDIT!!

Well since the reality of no boon dock power hit I figured I'll have to do something and checked the balance of the RV specific credit account and already refunded!

I wonder which generator I should get.... :/

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Yep...

I'm a working full timer. I have small machines that have to be run on 110 and would drain batteries. I don't think any thing less than an advanced solar system would cut it and I know nothing about them so...

I can't get left out with no power... that would put me out of business or force me to stay at full hook up sites..

Ooops! I guess that's the situation I find myself in.... no boon docking this summer unless I drop another $1000....

Can you imagine buying a brand new $1000+ item and not be able to use it for months and have to drag it around and contact numerous service centers to see if they can get it repaired in less than 2 weeks

Thanks a lot Honda!

R44
If you don't need AC, you can find several options in the $350-$500 range that put out 2000W, are light weight, and work fine for most all your needs including MW. I started with the Champion 2000W which is fine for camping in the NW during the summer..I use my Champion DualFuel propane powered for boondocking when I need AC in the summer months in places I need AC and have no power. Both serve a purpose....the Cat's Meow would be 2 Honda 2200's with propane conversion and Easystarts...when I hit the loto! But my current set ups work fine.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Thanks for the info. I would have purchased Honda based on reputation and my experience with their larger generators many years ago.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Don't Buy Honda Generators!

I, and several others have gone with Champion 3400 watt Dual fuel inverter generators. It has no problem running everything in the trailer including the single air conditioner.

Mine is rigged up to draw propane from the Airstream with a quick connector hose setup, and the generator stays in the truck bed during use. At almost 100 pounds this thing gets lifted into the truck only once a trip...

The next Airstream modification is installing a 30 amp front generator inlet and a manually switched transfer switch to make it easier to hook up.

So far I have heard no complaints about Champion, and mine works ‘just fine’. For what it’s worth, I found it to be much less expensive and almost as quiet.

A MicroAir EasyStart module is going into the Air conditioning unit when I can get up on the roof. It’s not really needed with the generator, but helps protect the A/C unit compressor from power issues and makes it even easier to start on the generator.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
On the other hand, Honda will get this sorted out. Mine is now 14 years old, In the range of 1500 operating hours (camping and several hurricanes in my area) and still starts on the first pull. Spark plugs and oil changes the only maintenance. Don't think I'll swear off the brand over a recall...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Stuff happens. Honda will get it sorted, IMHO the OP just had bad timing, unfortunately. I can totally understand his irritation.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
On the other hand, Honda will get this sorted out. Mine is now 14 years old, In the range of 1500 operating hours (camping and several hurricanes in my area) and still starts on the first pull. Spark plugs and oil changes the only maintenance. Don't think I'll swear off the brand over a recall...
Well....

The older models CLEARLY stand out from the pack.

I'm sure they will eventually get it sorted out but I didn't buy based on "eventually" it will be useable.

Face it RV'er and full timers have different requirements and while I don't expect special treatment there has to be a point of non operation where the company takes responsibility. I thought my offer to buy the part and forego the remainder of the warranty period so I could get rolling more than fair and the reps double talk of "we do sell parts but we wont sell you this part" even after him simply saying it will void the warranty and I accepting this condition......

There's even a clause in the warranty to repair OR replace. While specific to parts it can be argued the entire unit needs to be replaced as it can't be used to determine usability.

Shouldn't they be started up every couple weeks or fuel drained etc.. They require maintenance...

At any rate it may be a GREAT generator and once issues ironed out exceptional on all levels but I've not been able to use mine....

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Corona , California

The lousy “corn gasoline” that is full of gum and alcohol is why many of us burn propane in our generators. It generally burns cleaner, just has a bit less power output. It also does not go bad in storage like all gasoline does eventually.

I went with a 3400 Champion inverter dual fuel to have plenty of margin for high altitude, high temperature operations.

DW will not understand a lack of air conditioning just because we are up in the high mountains or it is super hot outside.

Dogs don’t complain, but they will also suffer. Having a generator that works every time you need it is priceless.

Minimal maintenance is also helpful. Spark plugs and oil and filter changes is all you should have to deal with. With gasoline you potentially get gummed up carburetors and water and stuff in the fuel tank. I can use gasoline in an emergency, but the tank and other components will be emptied and fully cleaned if I ever get stuck with using gas.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy57 View Post
Sorry to hear of your inconvenience regarding the Honda 2200. Well if you don't want to stay with Honda the only other top of the line Brand is Yamaha..... and let me tell you they have their problems also I have been using a HONDA 3000 with my rv for a while and can attest to the Brands quality... you just had bad timing with your unit. Every brand goes through these "situations" ...ONLY HUMAN
Yes. The Yamaha has a tiny 79cc engine when compared to the 120cc engine on the new Honda for the same price. Don't know why anyone would want a smaller engine on a generator.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:

Well since the reality of no boon dock power hit I figured I'll have to do something and checked the balance of the RV specific credit account and already refunded!

R44
You sure had a real hassle with that generator recall. Glad you were able to get your refund. I would have been pretty upset too. Now just find yourself another Honda that has been corrected and is ready to go, forget about this recall nonsense, and enjoy camping.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
When I received the recall letter I took mine back to the dealer. He told me they had just gotten their information that morning. Since in was one of the first I hot the generators two weeks later. They told me they expect a rush around August when contractors have time to drop theirs off. My dealer had to wait on parts for about ten days and they were doing the repairs in batches first come, first served.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Love my Honda generators!
minddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #53

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My experience is with the air bag recalls that affected many different brands of cars including Honda's. As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, at first the kits were on back order. My Honda dealership put me on a list and said I would be called as soon as a kit was available even after repeated checks by me. 8 months later still no kit and I ended up stumbling into a kit when I took the car to a different Honda dealership to get an oil change. When they checked the VIN when I registered for the oil change they told me of the recall. I said yes, I've been waiting 8 months for the call to replace it. It's out of stock. The service guy said we have lots of them, we will do it today while we are doing the oil change.

Bottom line I think the issue was the dealership and quite honestly it may be just an issue of the dealership extending the effort to the the supplies. So before you beat up on Honda, it may be an issue of the dealership not following up when the parts don't show up in a reasonable timeframe. If I had been your dealership (assuming it what the one you purchased from), I'd be doing everything I can to search for that kit, even going through other dealerships to receive one.

In another example I bought a Honda motorcycle from a local dealership. He went to place the order from Honda only to find out it would be a 6 month wait. The dealership contacted every dealership in St. Louis, found what I wanted at another one. They bought it from that dealership, transferred it to their's and 2 weeks after the sale, I picked up my cycle.

Moral to me is that dealerships can deal with parts issues if they are motivated and want the business.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:33 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Yep...

Thanks a lot Honda!

EDIT!!

R44
Hi, yes; I bought a brand new truck and couldn't use it to tow my trailer until It had more than 1,000 miles on it. Seemed like it took forever to get that first 1,000 miles.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I, and several others have gone with Champion 3400 watt Dual fuel inverter generators. It has no problem running everything in the trailer including the single air conditioner.

Mine is rigged up to draw propane from the Airstream with a quick connector hose setup, and the generator stays in the truck bed during use. At almost 100 pounds this thing gets lifted into the truck only once a trip...

The next Airstream modification is installing a 30 amp front generator inlet and a manually switched transfer switch to make it easier to hook up.

So far I have heard no complaints about Champion, and mine works ‘just fine’. For what it’s worth, I found it to be much less expensive and almost as quiet.

A MicroAir EasyStart module is going into the Air conditioning unit when I can get up on the roof. It’s not really needed with the generator, but helps protect the A/C unit compressor from power issues and makes it even easier to start on the generator.
Hi, check out my blog; I made a front generator inlet for my trailer and my system doesn't use any type of transfer switch.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:42 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
Sorry you had the trouble. Converted our 2200 to propane when we bought it so the recall wasn’t necessary for me, but the dealer completed the repair work for me anyway just in case I ever ran it on gasoline in the future, or sold it to someone who did.

Find a different dealer, buy a different generator, convert it to propane. Take your pick and move on - life’s to short.
KCCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The lousy “corn gasoline” that is full of gum and alcohol is why many of us burn propane in our generators. It generally burns cleaner, just has a bit less power output. It also does not go bad in storage like all gasoline does eventually.
I agree, so I use ethanol-free fuel to avoid most of these problems. I also mix fuel stabilizer with it so it won't go bad in storage.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"I wonder which generator I should get.... :/"

You probably still ought to get the Honda 2200 after they have been repaired. But it sounds like maybe you won't.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Sport
La Jolla , California
Champion

I got a 2800 kw peak Champion with electric start at Costco for about $800. I have had it for 3 years and it starts instantly even after no use during winter. I't a $100 bucks cheaper with just the pull start and I would have gone that way if I knew how easily it pulls. It runs my AC on low with the generator on the economy setting. It's on the heavier side 90 pounds but with wheels and 2 people it's easy to pitch it up into the SUV bed.
Barwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, check out my blog; I made a front generator inlet for my trailer and my system doesn't use any type of transfer switch.
Clever. Your jumper is the transfer switch.
On a previous MH, the way you ran off of generator was to plug the shore power cable into the generator outlet. All stayed stored in the power bay. The generator had a 50 amp outlet box on the wall of the power bay.

Quote:
I wonder which generator I should get....
Honda EU 3000is.

...although to be honest, If I didn't have experience with any generator, I'd give the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 a toss for $699.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote