Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Some airstreamers prefer parks like that. It's best not to generalize. Most airstreamers I've met would rather be in a Koa than a state park. Just my experience.

This Airstreamer prefers state parks with lake views.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I truly prefer COE, State Parks and National Parks, Forests and Preserves. Have stayed at some nice private campgrounds when no other choice available but many others have been a disappointment. RV Park Reviews is very helpful but I always disregard the best review and the worst review and that seems to work pretty well.

I scrupulously avoid any campground that has "resort" as part of the name.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
For me, it's rvparkreviews.com plus a looks on googlemaps satellite if it sounds promising.

I don't get put off if there is just one bad rv review - the people could have had a one off bad experience - it might even have been their fault. But if there is a predominance of bad reviews then O do take it seriously and look elsewhere.

The satellite view really helps to get a feel of how tonight the spots are, what the amenities look like, surrounding area etc.

If you like parks with a bit more space, it isn't easy to find those close in to very popular tourist spots like Make George. If you really want t go there, ten t is often something you just have t resign yourself to!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Another vote for Google maps satellite view (or Google Earth). Another resource we use is campsitephotos.com. That one allows you to see specific sites at ground level. ReserveAmerica and Recreation.gov frequently have ground level views too.

To each his own, but our method works for the type of sites we want to stay at. In June we passed a KOA in Rock Spring, WY on I80. It was full and treeless. The choice shady spots appeared to be the ones closest to the 50' tall gasoline storage tanks for the truck stop next door. We drove an additional 30 minutes to what turned out to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen -- Firehole Canyon campground in the Ashley National Forest. Plenty of room there. Here's the view literally from the trailer (granted... with an Eddie Bauer its from the open hatch... but it's the view that went with our morning coffee)

GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
I just returned from the Lake George area and stayed at Adirondack Camping Village. It's a nice clean campground with tall trees and nice facilities. The camp grounds seem as though each section were tiered with valleys between the back of my trailer and the next area, both a plus a minus. The plus side is a nice view from the rear of the trailer. The minus is the location of the sewage hole on my trailer and their sewage dump pipe. I couldn't use the slinky but was happy and abel to use my backup SewerSolution. =)

I must note that they're seems to be a lot of popup campers and you could hear everything. I had to call the office once, during my week, regarding some new loud neighbors and it was handled quickly. =)

If you decide to stay there I would recommend using the Citgo gas station on Route 9 (good prices) and further down that road is a well stocked grocery store. To find both just head north of the camp. Enjoy

*This is for anyone interested in finding campgrounds.*
I have been using an App from Allstays called Camp & RV for the past few years and absolutely LOVE IT!!! Best investment I made for my trip planning.
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Still not sure I understand the original post.

1: We read about this fabulous place

2: Reviews (key being plural) from Trip Adviser indicate it is not so fabulous

3: We go anyway

4: Stunned to find it is not so nice

5: Tell us not to believe what you read, when in fact, it appears that you actually can believe what you read.

6: Don't tell anyone the name of the campground

The rest of the followup comments are very helpful resource.
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Different strokes.

I don't care so much about where I camp, or how much room I have. I care more about who I am camping with. We have been known to spend way too much time parking, so that our awnings actually touch our neighbors awnings.

Sometimes parking to close gets annoying. I have to hear their voices. They say….Dave, What do you want some breakfast? Or Come sing with us. Can I get you a cold beer? What time should we have dinner? Cream and sugar ??
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master
I am a little surprised.

I was camping in the finger lakes region. The guy running things informed us that it was New York State law that your awning had to be at least 10 feet away from the closest camper. I think fire hazard was the reason for the law.
Maybe the law was repealed, as this was almost 8 years ago
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Camp Grounds

Can't argue with the good advice already posted. We too try to get a look at prospective sites using all avenues possible......drive by is best. A recent stay in the Adirondack State Park area we saw a great looking brochure for a nearby site. Checking it out was an eye opener. No way for us.

We used to select "children friendly" sites for obvious reasons. We have three daughters. Now we prefer quite and as large a site as possible. Treed and sun shading is required. Google earth helps here.

KOA sites are generally good.

Bottom line, research and advice from reliable campers is important to us. Check in advance if you are uncertain. Just remember a site where we were close to the trash containers. We left early.

All the best.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
2012 22' FB Sport
Lake Forest , California

Try, campsitephotos.com It will have a picture of every individual site. No guess work here.
HrLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
We mostly stay at federal and state parks so I pretty much know what to expect but this is not true for us when it comes to a commercial park. So I was wondering if one could explain the difference in a 5 and 3 star rating for a commercial campground and is the price differential worth it. I realize the answer to my question will be subjective however any thoughts would be appreciated
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #26
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Bet I can guess which park based on reviews here.. Lake George, NY Campground Reviews - Best of Lake George Camping - RV Park Reviews

I always pay attention to what sort of rig folks stayed in. Folks in tents and travel trailers often have a different take on what makes a campground awesome than the MH crowd. ;
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
2016 28' Pendleton
Granbury , Texas
Great thread! I like the idea of google earth. Only problem is most shots will be several years old. Not sure how often they update. I know street view where I live is several years old now because my house isn't even there! A vacant lot. Anyway, good idea just remember a storm could have blown all the trees down and you might never see that.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
The reply by Protagonist is right on the money. A great example is Palmetto Cove RV Park in Cleveland, SC. PC was begun as an Airstream only park by Palmetto State Unit. It is a great rally park with 144 full hook-ups and meeting/cooking/lounging/gaming facilities but very little shade. Now open to all brands and operated by volunteer members, all sites are grassy but it has only about 20 sites with partial shade. The park can handle the largest camping rigs but all must be self contained to meet state licensing requirements. Because it is a non-profit park with low cost camping, maintenance must also be low cost. A lot of trees would work against that need.

Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote