Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Dollywood

I'm considering taking my family to Dollywood this summer (15 June-20 July). I just saw a feature on the Travel Channel and it looks like a good mix of thrill rides for the kids and entertainment for the Mrs. and I.
Have any of you been there? Any recommendations on good/reasonable campgrounds close by to the trolley system, ingress/egress, traffic congestion, other activities, any valuable advice in and out of the park, pros/cons to make the trip as stress free as possible?

Thanks!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
Craftsman

Haven't actually been to Dollywood, but I drove through that area when I worked for Land Rover ( Pigeon Forge) once a week for months. It's a great area with a lot to do, in the Smokey Mountains. Actually driving out of the Smokeys from the South you come upon this huge entertainment area that stretches for what seems like a few miles lining both sides of the highway.It's like finding a version of Disney World in the woods. Theres nothing else like it. Everyone should see it at least once.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #3

We stayed at the KOA about 5 years ago. We were meeting my wife's brother who was staying at a hotel nearby. We did not spent much time at the campground since we were always on the go. From what I remember, it was clean and right around the corner from Dollywood.
ztied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, that puts you very close to the low-brow capital of the Southeastern US--Gatlinburg. No end of tacky attractions. Things like the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and the Dukes of Hazzard Museum. Try googling that city.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
dixie stampede

When I heard that horses would be hooked to wagons and raced, I put that on my list of things to see while visiting the smokie mountains.

The Dixie Stampede is a dinner show involving a competition between the "north" and the "south". Horsemanship events decide which army wins, and the audience is encouraged to root on their side. The food wasn't bad, but the riders were very good. My four year old had a blast.

Along with a round of laser tag with my 12 year old, that was the only tourist trap my family fell into. Dolly also has an annual parade to celebrate the spring opening of Dollywood; high school bands, lots of floats, and few polititcians - a good time. The remaining four or five days, we spent in the Great Smokies hiking and picnicing; lots to enjoy.

As for campgounds, we were staying in a cabin. Woodalls has one or two highly rated campgrounds in the area.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Well, that puts you very close to the low-brow capital of the Southeastern US--Gatlinburg. No end of tacky attractions. Things like the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and the Dukes of Hazzard Museum. Try googling that city.

Mary
Got to agree with Mary on this one. Picture Panama City Beach, without the beach. We went there 7 or 8 years ago, so my info is dated. Dollywood was a big let down. Very few rides at the time and many were closed the day we went for some odd reason. There were lots of shops on the grounds that were open with all those overpriced trinkets. The city was kinda, umm, cheesy. Lots of shops with the same stuff as above. Don't get me wrong, we love the mountains in that general area. We spend a lot of time in the Asheville, Hendersonville, Brevard area and absolutely love it there. We were not camping at Dollywood, so I can't give you any info there.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Clabough's is a good campground. We have stayed there more than once. The nice thing about staying in Pigeon Forge is that if you choose, you can catch a trolley car from the campground and several other cg's as well to avoid the hassle of driving. You can take a trolley to Dollywood and even Gatlinburg if you choose. When I was there you paid only a quarter (I think) and rode as long as you wanted. They have routes and you just get off when you get to where you're going. I think you will enjoy it very much! Just take plenty of $$$$$$$

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Oh, I forgot to mention......There is also a lot of places for $hopping!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:58 AM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Dollywood

Lots of fun things to do in Pigeon Forge. Dolly also has a water park that is great! There are several campgrounds in Townsend, which is near Cade's Cove. I suggest looking there for camping. Then enjoy all Pigeon Forge and Gatlilnburg have to offer! The whole family will love it!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:57 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Great place! We usually stay in Gatlinburg. Townsend is nice also but quite a drive from most everything. In Townsend, make sure and have a pulled pork sandwich and some fried dill pickles at "Smokin' Joe's On The River".

There are two really nice campgrounds in the city limits of Gatlinburg that are right on the trolley line. "Twin Creeks RV Resort" is really nice, although, a little pricey. "Camping In The Smokies" is also really nice and usually quite a bit cheaper.

The Great Smoky Mountains National Park has some great hiking available with some awesome waterfall views.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
We're going for the fourth time this May. (We rent a house vs camping there). Our kids enjoyed Dollywood and the adjacent waterpark. We tend to hit the natural sites rather than Gatlinburg. There is a campground between the park entrance and Pigeon forge on 441 (?) that looked nice to us, maybe the KOA mentioned? Try and get a brochure or check websites for pictures, a couple of the campgrounds looked like the sites were REAL small. You may try looking towards the east along 321 towards Pittman Center, there are a couple over there too.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I stayed at Elkmont, which is in the Park not too far from Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, etc. last September. No hookups, but beautiful sites along the river - which is fast moving and delightfully loud.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I think it really depends on what you want for a vacation.

Nature--hit the Smokey Mountains
Culture--Asheville
Kitch--Gatlinburg

The good thing is that all of these things are nearby!
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
We went to Dollywood last September and had a good time. A very family oriented place. We stayed in Pigeon Forge for 2 night (King Holly CG), then we moved to Cody and stayed at the Great Smoky Jellystone CG. Very clean, nice pool and playground for the kids, a stream runs through the CG. Very nice laundry room. It is a quiet place compared to Pigeon Forge and easy to get to from I40.

Dixie Stampede was fun, bring your own utensils if you don't want to eat with your hands (lots of food). Visit the Black Bear Jamboree in Pigeon Forge. My 4 year old loved it.
We are going back around Memorail day and will stay in Jellystone CG.

Good luck.
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #15
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Silver Dollar City = Dollywood

First off is the traffic in and around Pigeon Forge...whew!
Even without the TT it is a bear.
Just head in that direction and pretend your crusin.

Heading into the Smokys the bumper to bumper lets up.
Not including Gatlinburg, still an easy go compared to the Forge.

Every direction has something to offer.

Sun up is best time to see bears.

After you have done the Forge, Burg, and a few waterfall trails in the Smokys...
Take the fam for a ride thru the Foothills Parkway, and at the end, turn left on Hwy 129 and thrill them with a ride up the 'Dragon'.
300 plus turns in 11 miles.
Lots of exotic bikes and cars to enjoy.
Stop at the top to rest with a picnic lunch before driving back down.

Get some good maps at Smokys Welcome Center.

Oh...skip rocks in at least one creek.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Dollywood

For campgrounds near Dollywood these links may help

campgroundreviews.com :: Home

Campground Map

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
You did not mention the age of your children but if they are old enough for a bike ride there is a Little known fact that Cades Cove is closed to car traffic every Wednesday morning from sunrise to 11:00 AM. During that time it is open only to bike riders. You can arrive with the sun and start your ride through the cove, it is spectacular. I promise you will see bears, deer, and a score of other wildlife. You can explore the old houses with out the crowds walk the paths and enjoy the scenery. Be sure you are gone before they open the road to cars since they will not be looking for bike riders. Bike are for rent at the concession stand at the campground outside Cades Cove parking lot.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Lots of traffic and lots of fun for all. Very touristy. Don't stay at Kings Holly Haven in PF. Very very tight for backing and spaces right on top of each other.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Dollywood

Dollywood has grown quite a bit in the past couple of years. I live about an hour away and we go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg quite often. She has added 2 roller coasters, Several water rides, and a neat place for the kids to play(make sure you are prepared for them to get wet). It is mainly themed aroung the olden days when she lived there as a child. Lots of shops, shows, and food. Food can get expensive. You can get stamped and leave to eat and come back. If you are wanting to stay close to everything I would suggest Creekside RV Park or Riversedge, both of those are very nice campgrounds and the trolley's run right through them. Try Pigeon Forge Family Vacation Destination Guide – Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, you can look at all the campgrounds and area attractions. They are only a couple of miles from the Dollywood. If you like water, Dollywood Splash Country is a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it! Also, if you after 3pm, you get the next day free!!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We did the run 7-6-05 and stayed 4 days. Luckly I missed the proper exit and had to come in from the Townsend direction thus missing the gridlock on the main drag. Traffic was unbelieveable. My camping neighbor took 2 hours to get to Clayboughs from the interstate, thats like 20 miles right? We quickly looked for non-main drag routes when we had to drive.

My favorite part of Dollywood was the Avairy and all of the rescued Bald Eagles.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote