Old 01-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #15
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Silver Dollar City = Dollywood

First off is the traffic in and around Pigeon Forge...whew!
Even without the TT it is a bear.
Just head in that direction and pretend your crusin.

Heading into the Smokys the bumper to bumper lets up.
Not including Gatlinburg, still an easy go compared to the Forge.

Every direction has something to offer.

Sun up is best time to see bears.

After you have done the Forge, Burg, and a few waterfall trails in the Smokys...
Take the fam for a ride thru the Foothills Parkway, and at the end, turn left on Hwy 129 and thrill them with a ride up the 'Dragon'.
300 plus turns in 11 miles.
Lots of exotic bikes and cars to enjoy.
Stop at the top to rest with a picnic lunch before driving back down.

Get some good maps at Smokys Welcome Center.

Oh...skip rocks in at least one creek.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
Dollywood

For campgrounds near Dollywood these links may help

RVparkreviews.com :: Home

Campground Map

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
You did not mention the age of your children but if they are old enough for a bike ride there is a Little known fact that Cades Cove is closed to car traffic every Wednesday morning from sunrise to 11:00 AM. During that time it is open only to bike riders. You can arrive with the sun and start your ride through the cove, it is spectacular. I promise you will see bears, deer, and a score of other wildlife. You can explore the old houses with out the crowds walk the paths and enjoy the scenery. Be sure you are gone before they open the road to cars since they will not be looking for bike riders. Bike are for rent at the concession stand at the campground outside Cades Cove parking lot.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Lots of traffic and lots of fun for all. Very touristy. Don't stay at Kings Holly Haven in PF. Very very tight for backing and spaces right on top of each other.

Greg
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Dollywood

Dollywood has grown quite a bit in the past couple of years. I live about an hour away and we go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg quite often. She has added 2 roller coasters, Several water rides, and a neat place for the kids to play(make sure you are prepared for them to get wet). It is mainly themed aroung the olden days when she lived there as a child. Lots of shops, shows, and food. Food can get expensive. You can get stamped and leave to eat and come back. If you are wanting to stay close to everything I would suggest Creekside RV Park or Riversedge, both of those are very nice campgrounds and the trolley's run right through them. Try Pigeon Forge Family Vacation Destination Guide Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, you can look at all the campgrounds and area attractions. They are only a couple of miles from the Dollywood. If you like water, Dollywood Splash Country is a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy it! Also, if you after 3pm, you get the next day free!!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #20

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We did the run 7-6-05 and stayed 4 days. Luckly I missed the proper exit and had to come in from the Townsend direction thus missing the gridlock on the main drag. Traffic was unbelieveable. My camping neighbor took 2 hours to get to Clayboughs from the interstate, thats like 20 miles right? We quickly looked for non-main drag routes when we had to drive.

My favorite part of Dollywood was the Avairy and all of the rescued Bald Eagles.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #21
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Junior ranger program looks fun for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I'm considering taking my family to Dollywood this summer (15 June-20 July). Any recommendations on ... other activities?
Hi
Just a thought on activities, we love the Smokies, what a great place to take the family! As others have posted you can pretty much choose what type of vacation you want.
We're planning a trip to the Smokies, and noticed that there is a Junior ranger program for kids and parents too. I ordered the junior ranger booklet from the National Park store online and its got some neat activities for kids of ages 5-12. To get the junior ranger badge they need to do a few fun things, and then pick up a bag of garbage, I think its great. Our son will be 5 by the time we go, so for sure I'm signing him up. They had a hilarious book called "Who pooped in the park" which is really funny for a kid, but teaches about footprints and scat. I can't tell you how many times I've read that book to my son, but was amazed at how interested he was in the book and what he remembered! The junior ranger program seems pretty cool as it teaches kids science at a level they are at, and doesn't tie up a day to get the badge. Have a great trip!! The National Park is just awesome, and I have heard that Dollywood is very clean from my mother in law, which means a lot!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
For those who have been to Branson and Silver Dollar City, Dollywood is a clone. From a history stand point the owners of Silver Dollar City bought the park many years ago but never were able to match the success of the Branson location. Dolly was brought into as a part owner and for all intents she was the ingredient needed to draw the folks in. It's a great park and well worth the visit.

When we've been there we've stayed outside of Gatlinburg at a campground called Crazy Horse, although it has a new name today. Here is the link. Adventure Bound Camp Resorts | Smoky Mountains Campgrounds | Gatlinburg RV Parks

Its far enough out of town to be quiet but not that far to get to Gatlinburg and onward to Dollywood

Jack.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
You did not mention the age of your children but if they are old enough for a bike ride there is a Little known fact that Cades Cove is closed to car traffic every Wednesday morning from sunrise to 11:00 AM. During that time it is open only to bike riders. You can arrive with the sun and start your ride through the cove, it is spectacular. I promise you will see bears, deer, and a score of other wildlife. You can explore the old houses with out the crowds walk the paths and enjoy the scenery. Be sure you are gone before they open the road to cars since they will not be looking for bike riders. Bike are for rent at the concession stand at the campground outside Cades Cove parking lot.
I still have my "I biked the Cades Cove Loop 1993" tee shirt. Boy that brings back memories....

Unfortunately it doesn't fit anymore. Not by a long shot.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Not a bad place

We live about an hour east of Dollywood and usually get a season pass. (about the cost of 2 trips) Our 2 kids ages 7,9, enjoy it a great deal. Well worth visiting if you have kids. The new Ripleys aquarium in Gatlinberg is also well worth a visit...As for traffic, it can be a nightmare, we always go in the back way from Greeneville TN or Newport TN, Heading towards Cosby. This is a wonderful drive, and the best way to get to the Jellystone campground near Cosby.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #25
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Go Greene Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab
We live about an hour east of Dollywood and usually get a season pass. (about the cost of 2 trips) Our 2 kids ages 7,9, enjoy it a great deal. Well worth visiting if you have kids. The new Ripleys aquarium in Gatlinberg is also well worth a visit...As for traffic, it can be a nightmare, we always go in the back way from Greeneville TN or Newport TN, Heading towards Cosby. This is a wonderful drive, and the best way to get to the Jellystone campground near Cosby.
Wow!
Greeneville, Tenn
Was there from 1965 to 1968 @ Holston.
Ham's, PET milk, Round Top, FTD guy with underwear at Halloween...
Best snow sledding!

Horse Creek still open?
Dang that water was ice cold even in August.