Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Docked for the night in Wytheville,VA. Stopped in Harrisonburg today to see my old college, JMU. Wow...that place has changed. If we can get a service appointment on short notice, our next stop will be Knoxville, TN for regularly scheduled service.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
In Oklahoma City for the night. Visited the beautiful Oklahoma City National Memorial this afternoon. Hard to believe that happened almost 20 years ago.

Heading to Santa Fe next, then we will b in Albuquerque on Thursday for the balloon fiesta rally. After that, heading home. Can't believe our adventure is almost over! We've driven over 15,000 miles so far!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Smile

HOME!!!!

Arrived home in San Diego yesterday afternoon!

We drove 17,245 miles, plus whatever mileage we travelled on 7 Canadian ferry boats (about 17 hours total of boat travel). We were on the road 123 days, and visited 33 states and 6 Canadian Provinces. Some of those "visits" were just drive throughs, but I'm counting them!

Starting to plan our next adventure!! LOL!

(Maggie....I love your new screen name. )
Old 10-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Whoa, what an amazing trip. Memories that will last the rest of your lives I'm sure. Glad you made it home safe.

All in all how did your AI perform?

Did you move back into your condo?
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you. It's growing on me.

What a great adventure you have had!

And, no better vehicle within which to do it. Everything you need, right there.

Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
HOME!!!!

Arrived home in San Diego yesterday afternoon!

We drove 17,245 miles, plus whatever mileage we travelled on 7 Canadian ferry boats (about 17 hours total of boat travel). We were on the road 123 days, and visited 33 states and 6 Canadian Provinces. Some of those "visits" were just drive throughs, but I'm counting them!

Starting to plan our next adventure!! LOL!

(Maggie....I love your new screen name. )
Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Whoa, what an amazing trip. Memories that will last the rest of your lives I'm sure. Glad you made it home safe.

All in all how did your AI perform?

Did you move back into your condo?
We are back in the condo. It was only rented out for the first three months, only because no renter materialized for the 4th month. Everything looks in good shape too, thank goodness. Will not hesitate to rent it out again.

The AI did great, considering all the miles we put on. The fridge was a problem at the beginning, but it was finally taken care of at Jackson Center.

Besides that, we had some odds and ends pieces on the interior fall off (screws, pads, weird little items), but nothing of much importance. I have a little zip lock baggie with the little pieces in there. Don't even know where some of them came from!!

We had a couple issues that happened, of course, in remote places. First, both of our keys stopped working (couldn't lock or unlock doors, except for using the actual key in the driver door). That was weird, and then, after about 4-5 days, they both started working again. Will have that checked out

And then, we had a slow tire leak while in Newfoundland. The alarm on our TPMS went off when pressure dropped to 55 psi. Mark was able to pump up the tire to 59 psi with our bike pump. Did that for a couple days, until we got to a town where there was a tire shop open and able to help us out. Turned out to be a loose valve stem, and not the tire after all.

But, operationally, not a single other problem!!

Only two items on the "wish list" for an improved experience.....

#1 would be to have a slightly larger fridge. We were able to fit a lot of food and cold drinks in there, but it would become so jam packed that stuff would fall out every time we opened it. And stuff was so jam packed in there that we couldn't find stuff that was in the back. I'm going to search for some organizational ideas at the container store later this week.

#2 would be nice to have the back end of the vehicle not be so dang low to the ground. The lowness was a constant issue even just going up and down driveways to gas stations, etc..

Otherwise, she drove like a dream, and everything worked beautifully. We definitely made the right choice when we bought her! She is the right RV for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thank you. It's growing on me.

What a great adventure you have had!

And, no better vehicle within which to do it. Everything you need, right there.

Maggie
I know, Maggie! The AI seems to fit with how we travelled. And we used everything from the microwave, to the 2-burner stove, to an occasional shower when camp showers weren't available or were too disgusting. We even got to use the outdoor shower a couple times (for ourselves as well as to give the dogs a needed bath).

Can't wait for the next trip!! Already making notes about things to do differently, things to take, things to leave at home, etc..

I think we've got a major travel bug disease now!
Old 10-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The small frig is a handicapping issue, particularly if you are going to be away from grocery stores for days at a time.

Right after a shopping trip, every available inch of frig and freezer space is always full. If you were feeding 4 out of there, there is no other way it could be.

We did a lot of simple, one-dish meals, which used fresh meat of some kind and canned beans, vegetables, tomatoes, boxed rice mixes, etc. Takes a bit more planning, but can stretch out those storage restrictions, and not everything from scratch can be a concession made for the privilege of travel.

I speak in the past tense because I cook much differently for myself, as I just don't need what he did.

If we ever camp together, you can look thru my little ring-binder recipe book for ideas.

Still sounds wonderful, and the learning never really ends.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
By "4 of us,", I just meant us and the 2 doggies! Thank goodness we don't have to cook for them too!!

Maggie, how often did you have to defrost the freezer on your long trips? Seems like after a month or a little more, our little freezer door was almost impossible to open. Not sure what was up with that.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have only defrosted the freezer at the end of a trip. It has never frosted up terribly.

I wonder if your freezer door was not shutting completely, causing more frost to form.

Have you thought about getting a 12volt cooler that you can use for drinks? Would freee up some frig space.

We have used one when traveling with the grands, as extra refrigeration.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
A 12v cooler would be awesome and would solve the problem. So much of our fridge is filled with beer and iced tea. But, not sure about where to keep cooler.

I'll have to check our freezer door to be sure it closes all the way. I guess we defrosted ours twice in four months. Pain in the butt, since you need to time it to when you don't have any perishables in there.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It might ride in front, between the driver and passenger seat somewhere.

Ours heats and cools, also has an adaptor that allows you to plug it into electricity....which you would want to do if you were parked for any length of time.

They draw enough they will deplete your battery....ask me how I know this.

Maggie
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I'll look into it. Maybe, if I can find a pretty small one, we can make it work. Will be sure not leave it plugged into 12v all night! haha!