Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Does anyone else hate camp fires?

I may be in for a lynching here, but Sam and I hate camp fires.

It seems that state campgrounds have more of them, in our experience. We prefer state campgrounds for everything about them except the fact that every site has to build a fire. I know it's part of the camping thing for families, but frequently there is a blanket of smoke over the whole place every night. It's so thick it irritates your throat and you carry the smell with you for ever. We end up closing all the windows in an attempt to keep some of the smoke out of the trailer so we can sleep.

Most campgrounds have more than one "loop" or section of camp sites. So we thought why don't they make one section a no campfire zone? Unless we are the only ones......
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
If you think state parks are bad, try camping at any NASCAR event, Spring, Summer or Fall!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Love Campfires...Hate The Smoke

I love campfires, but hate the smoke. I think a lot of it has to do with ones prowess at building fires. A good campfire using good wood doesn't produce that much smoke.

We were at a KOA near Lake Seneca, NY a few years ago and there was an elderly gentleman with what I assumed was his grandson. They sat by their campfire ring all day long placing scraps of lumber on a "fire" and I never once saw a flame, it was just one large billow of white smoke, all day, which forced us to keep our Airstream sealed up tight in order to keep it from smelling like a smoke house.

We got around the smoke issue at our permanent site by installing a propane "campfire." it doesn't throw the heat that a normal campfire does but we can still roast marshmellows and hot dogs over it.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
I would like campfires but my wife has very bad asthma. We do the same thing shut the windows up tight to keep the smoke out. If you look around some places dont alow campfires.

Mike
Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
We usually take seasoned firewood with us to have a fire a few times during the trip. Some campgrounds, but not all, have good firewood available to purchase for a good fire but we have seen the smokey fires to. There have been a few who know nothing about fires that have actually cut down fresh green wood to try and burn. That makes for some of the worst fires, not to mention appalling to cut young growth.

We like tamarack the best for the clean burn and the snap, crackle, pop effect. It burns pretty clean and leaves little ash behind.
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We've been known to produce campfires that are more smoke than fire---had a fellow camper once ask if we were trying to send smoke signals. Have gotten better at building them over the years. We do love them in the morning, nothing better than a nice fire while drinking coffee.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I agree to a point.
We love a good campfire and know how to build one and keep it flaming. I am alergic to smoke and we have been near smoky fires several times. Campers do not take their neighbors into consideration at all. They do not check to make sure the wind is not going to blow right into the neighbors camper. We recently were camping near one of theses smoky fires. The camper was burning wet leaves to clean up his site. A good camper is a considerate camper.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Shucks, they came up with smokeless tobacco, so why not smokeless fires?

Lynn
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We're not real big on campfires, either. Too much smoke, not enough fire. We are often entertained and have gotten some really great laughs at campgrounds watching other campers build and "enjoy" their smoke fest. We have seen many campers build, and then run from their own camp fire.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Can't think of camping without a fire. Glass of wine, a cold beer, ghost stories, sitting back and starring at the fire. Love it! Will be out West in a few days and bought a Campfire in a Can (propane fire) in case there are fire restrictions.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
WOW ---- and we were just remarking on how our last trip was so dampened by the lack of a fire. I didn't actually think it was camping without a fire. Isn't that why there are rings on most every site. It's something that I look forward to - regardless of temperature. It sets the mood for me! And sorry if the smoke blows into the other campers (though I rarely observe any other RV's with their windows open - they're running their heat/ac instead). Here, the wind can be blowing from the south one minute and then suddenly change to the east. Not much you can do about that situation. Wind seems to take no notice.

What I don't like are those who believe a fire cannot be built/maintained without saturating logs with firestarter/charcoal fluid.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I agree with the original post. The last time we went to a State Park our trailer smelled like smoke for several days. NOT pleasant.

My Mom & Dad bought their 1st. Airstream in 1955 to TRAVEL, not to camp. They called themselves boulevard campers. In fact, Wally Byam promoted caravans and rallies rather than camping. That is what set him and Airstream apart from the hundreds of other travel trailers out there. The canned hams and boxes were for camping, but Airstreams were for traveling.

That is what makes Airstream special. It is not just that it tows better, but that Wally created a mystic about these trailers that attracted a more "sophisticated" clientele.

We did sometimes have campfires while caravanning, but it was in the center of the wagon wheel, and far away from the trailers.

Mike Brumback
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Put me in the group "I don't think it's camping without a campfire". We prefer dry camping or boon docking anyway, but the primary reason we avoid campgrounds with hookups is that most don't allow campfires. I can't stand the idea of spending $40- $50 for a campsite and not being able to toast a marshmallow over a campfire. Luckily the best campsites are usually those that are more primitive, allow campfires, and cost the least. There are a lot of private campgrounds that don't allow campfires though.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
What we find here is that around one in ten will want a campfire. We permit it, but with restrictions: No too close to other folks, off-the-ground pit (we provide a few of them), not directly under trees, no fires during fire-ban season, etc.

During Memorial Day, somebody "accidently" took one of our big fire pits, so now we check them out rather than just handing them out willy-nilly. Swineolas.

Lynn
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Just Don't Care For Them

We are in the group of not liking a fire while camping. I like the places where ground fires are not allowed. What kills me is when the campground does not have a ring the people next to us will build one in the grill!

It takes forever to get the smell out of the AS and even longer out of my shirt! Hey I quit smoking so I would quit smelling like something burning.

But with that said, fires should be allowed in a proper ring but I do like the spot in the campground that is no fires area idea.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
In my travels I have found that most campgrounds allow wood campfires but most RV Parks do not. I live in a Canadian National Park and both types are offered locally here.

Maybe the key is to get a solid list of campfire-free RV Parks and plan from there. I love a good campfire, but would also support a loop or two of campfire-free sites. The question for the campground operator is would these sites have an occupancy rate lower than the ones WITH fire receptacles. If so, it's unlikely to be a popular conversion.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I love campfires but hate what folks burn in them. The smell of burning plastic is nauseating. We travel with a firedancer (propane fire) for early morning, fast fires.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #18
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
What I never understood is why anyone would want to have a blazing campfire on an 85 degree evening of heat/humidity. Get a big poster made of a campfire at a one hour photo place and hang it on a tree and just watch that.

A nice campfire is great on a cool AM or in the evening.

A campfire won't smoke to badly if you: use dry seasoned wood. Don't throw yesterdays bacon grease in the fire ring. Don't burn tires, furniture, toys, bottles, spent propane bottles, or your mother-in-law. Slow roasting a raccoon also not advisable. (yes we've seen that! Well maybe not the mother-in-law part) Use natural starter for fire i.e. dry newspaper, dry pine cones make great starters, or in a pinch Weber Charcoal starters the little wax cubes.

And for the benefit of the park keep the fire within reason. It's a little disconcerting to see someone with a fire reaching 20 feet.

Along with packing everything else, don't forget to leave a little space for common sense.

Jonathan
Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
There is a good trick to get rid of the smoking fire... Get one of your paper (not plastic cups) Got to be environmentally friendly here. Fill it up with white gas or unleaded premium gas (got to be environmentally friendly) regular unleaded has to many impurities.

Stand back a Good five feet and throw the cup on the fire. Now be sure not to spill it as you throw or you may end up with no leg hair...

The resulting inferno will deplete the smoke and increase the flame.

Repeat as necessary....

Saftey caution...... Keep kids in trialer while doing this.. But make sure they can look out the window as the park ranger comes to yell at you. not sure why he would that though....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Each to their own, I guess, as long as you act responsibly with your fire. What I hate is when someone builds a honking big blaze in the middle of the afternoon and then decides to take a nap in their tent for the next 2 hours, walk their dog or go fishing leaving it totally unattended. Inevitably, that will earn you a bucket of water and a sopping pile of wet wood if my wife or I are around.

For me, I find a fire isn't necessary to have a great camping experience at all. Most of the camping we've done prior to owning an airstream was done out of a backpack, and I'd rather carry an extra sweater and touque than a heavy axe any day!
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote