Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #241
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Hi Jeff, we're at Babler through the end of next month; (wife volunteers in the visitor center in exchange for an electric site). Stop by sometime.....look for the site with an Airstream and no campfire.
Ha! I live about two miles from there. As a matter of fact I use the dump station there to empty tanks etc. I will be by next Tuesday. I'm taking the Bambi in for repairs. A tree limb crashed down on it a few months ago during one of the storms.
Let me know if you want to use the washer/dryer, etc.. I will stop by.
I have been in Babler a million times. Hope you are enjoying it.

Jeff
GettinAway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #242
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Thanks, Jeff, appreciate the generous offer. Meanwhile, as the chances for rain this weekend increase, so does my hope of not having to do a campfire.....I may not have to fake an aneurysm, now, to get out of it.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #243
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Update on campfires

During one of our stays at Agua Caliente County Park, a camper with a big rig next to us insisted on having a campfire every night even though his wood was wet causing profuse smoke and “sparks flew over and around our trailer, requiring the closure of all vents, windows, and awnings”, as noted in my post:

http://airstreamlife.com/historysafa...-and-dreamers/

More data is becoming available about the dangers of campfires:

Several sources (including the EPA) indicate that campfire smoke is 12 times as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke and stays chemically active in the body 40 times longer than cigarette smoke:

Summer Health Myths Debunked - CBS News
The Health Hazards of Wood Smoke

One other camper's experience:

http://airstreamlife.com/maze/2013/0...moke-we-arent/

We once had campfires... but no longer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0126 Campfire at Vallecito.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	460.9 KB
ID:	182148  
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #244
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
My experience with camp fires in recent years has not been good.

Recently while traveling we stayed in a commercial campground in Nebraska with very tight camp sites. The guy next to us had his own portable fire pit that he placed within a couple of feet of our trailer. His fire would have damaged our trailer without a doubt. He was unwilling to move his fire pit before lighting. The campground owner was unwilling to ask him to move his fire pit. So we moved our rig to get away from him.

It seems more common these days for people to burn very green wood, treated lumber, and garbage. I would prefer to be in a campground without camp fires.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #245
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
There is something primal about fire!
A good campfire is one of life's great pleasures if it is done properly...
We use a portable fire pit and it burns nicely as long as you have access to dry wood.
Dry wood is the problem. So many campgrounds require that wood be purchased locally and the wood provided is wet and green, a disaster in terms of smoke. No joy there....
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-03-04 at 18-53-37.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	182149  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #246
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
As a solo camper, I never have a campfire. Not much point to it; campfires are for camaraderie. Put me in a group and it's a different story. Then, and only then, do I like campfires.

What I don't like is ignorant yahoos that build bonfires with flames 10 feet high and call them campfires. Ever since the Veterans Day weekend at Sam Rayburn Lake, where some ignorant yahoo (not a member of our rally group) did exactly that, right across the way from where I was parked, on a windy night in the piney woods. I spent the whole evening ready to evacuate in case the fire got out of control, and that was NO fun at all!

Please, if you're going to build a campfire, keep it as small as possible. No need to burn a whole forest when a couple of logs will do.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #247
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I used to try to have real wood fires, but decided that they were more trouble than they were worth. Still wanted to have fire so bought one of these:

Fire Dancer, works great, no muss, no fuss. Puts out some heat and much safer and cleaner than a wood fire.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #248
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
Last summer I witnessed on two separate occasions, campers lighting their campfires with the large propane ice melters. They would hook up their rigs propane tank, build a large pile of cordwood in the fireplace (no kindling needed here) and hold it until coals were present. Scared the crap out of us at first....that and he was a little too close for comfort.
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #249
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared129 View Post
Last summer I witnessed on two separate occasions, campers lighting their campfires with the large propane ice melters. They would hook up their rigs propane tank, build a large pile of cordwood in the fireplace (no kindling needed here) and hold it until coals were present. Scared the crap out of us at first....that and he was a little too close for comfort.
http://www.flameengineering.com/Red_...e_Torch_K.html

Something similar to this....
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #250
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Like most other things in life, campfires can be made responsibly or irresponsibly. Nobody should make a campfire that is dangerous, including one left unattended. As in, didn't the campfire slobs go to boy scout camp or something?

Sort of like hunting: there are responsible hunters and slob hunters.

We make small campfires when we can, mostly for grilling and Dutch oven purposes, but occasionally for evening entertainment. Only once did someone complain about smoke, and then we quickly did what we could to rectify it.

Of course, if there's a fire ban in effect, end of issue.

Our bigger concerns are:

1. breathing fumes from generators and listening to the roar all around the campground (yes, we have one, too.)

2. Being surrounded by huge white-box 5th wheels with slide-outs and monster motor homes that shut out the view in National Park campgrounds.

3. Noisy inconsiderate people, esp. late at night.

It's gotten to the point where old-fashioned camping has virtually disappeared. RVers travel in houses on wheels, surrounded cheek-by-jowel with other houses on wheels. What ever happened to getting close to Nature? Are we all so terribly urbanized and domesticated?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #251
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
What ever happened to getting close to Nature? Are we all so terribly urbanized and domesticated?

Advocating against campfires certainly makes it seem so.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #252
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
History is always good to review in disputes such as this.

"The happiness of the domestic fireside is the first boon of Heaven: and it is well it is so, since it is that which is the lot of the mass of mankind."
Thomas Jefferson, 1813

Maybe the campgrounds should be divided into, smoking/non smoking, fires/no fires, gensets/no gensets, children/no children, pet/ no pets/ real people/ those that should have stayed home.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #253
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I love a good campfire. I must say though ive had some bad ones. Doing as told by the campground, i put water on my fire pit before going to bed. The next night, steam generator. Im sure there were some people going WTF. The best way to avoid campfires, families with children cooking marshmallows and smors, groups gathering for the evening for fellowship and fun, is to camp in your driveway, or a large paved rv park that has no fires allowed.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
A great fire..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	182184  
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #255
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
History is always good to review in disputes such as this.

Maybe the campgrounds should be divided into, smoking/non smoking, fires/no fires, gensets/no gensets, children/no children, pet/ no pets/ real people/ those that should have stayed home.

Dave
We also need an area for vegetarians so they don't have to smell animals cooking on grills.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #256
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Generally pro fire but we had a bad experience last time

Fires generally don't get me up on a bandwagon either pro or against but our last camping experience was not fun. We were downwind from a couple (think the guy did the fire thing) who started a big roaring fire daily around noon with mostly no one sitting by it. They burned things (mostly wood) that smoked badly. We had to close our windows, door and fans/vents to keep the smoke out of our trailer. We should have moved to another spot right away but when we checked with the park management, we were told they were leaving in the morning but they stayed the whole week we were there....about mid-week the guy upended the heavy picnic table at the woman at about 10 pm. That manuver sort of creased the fir pit in half....so we had a brief respite from smoke until they managed to straighten out their fire pit....oh, the joys of camping.....
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #257
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Only once did someone complain about smoke...
Well we never complain, because they are allowed to have the fires. But we don't go back to where we've been annoyed.

Quote:
It's gotten to the point where old-fashioned camping has virtually disappeared.
Right. To me, RVing is not camping. Camping is when I'm in a tent carrying what I need on my back. Taking 5,000 lbs. of stuff along is not camping. A campground is a city to me. We don't have neighbors we can see at home, only when we are in a campground. "Look! There are kids riding bicycles on the road!"

That's why cities have rules to protect everybody's rights, like campground rules. A "no fires" section would be welcomed, just as "no generator" sections exist.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #258
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I don't hate campfires. I DO especially DISLIKE inconsiderate people. Making a fire where it wafts into a nearby space is unacceptable, discourteous and likely to receive a fire extinguisher test.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I don't hate campfires. I DO especially DISLIKE inconsiderate people. Making a fire where it wafts into a nearby space is unacceptable, discourteous and likely to receive a fire extinguisher test.
There are more 'bad campfire builders' than 'bad campfires'...

Our last outing, the neighbor built a fire 14' from the front of his camper...10' from our bedroom window...oh, and the wind was blowing toward our camper. I almost asked them to place their chairs between the fire and our camper...if they couldn't stand the smoke, neither could we.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #260
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Funny, but in all the years I've been camping, I've never been bothered by anyone's campfire except once, when the wind changed direction, smoke from my own fire blew into my camper and set off the smoke alarm, which of course, took a few minutes to silence in our panic and embarrassment! But really, sitting around a small, well-burning fire under the stars with good friends, good conversation, and some strawberry marshmallows is one of the great pleasures of the camping experience.