Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #181
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
it's not camping without a camp fire. next you will see campgrounds that are campfire free or they could add a tax on them or camp fires extra or like cable tv or wifi extra or go get a motel.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
my DW is allergic to smoke

I love camping and campfires. I like cooking on the campfire, but never get to.

When we go camping, we do not go where fires are allowed or we generally do not camp on the weekends or holidays to avoid the crowded times. We are not anti-social we just like to breath comfortably.

The problem is my DW is allergic to smoke of burning wood or leaves. She is a good sport and will try to avoid the smoke by moving away if she can. If she is exposed directly to campfire smoke, she immediately starts coughing and her nose start running. An hour or so later she has problems breathing, sinuses are blocked, and the headache starts.

If you guys are outside enjoying your campfire, we generally are inside with the ac running or have to leave if we can't get away from it.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #183
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I love camping and campfires. I like cooking on the campfire, but never get to.

When we go camping, we do not go where fires are allowed or we generally do not camp on the weekends or holidays to avoid the crowded times. We are not anti-social we just like to breath comfortably.

The problem is my DW is allergic to smoke of burning wood or leaves. She is a good sport and will try to avoid the smoke by moving away if she can. If she is exposed directly to campfire smoke, she immediately starts coughing and her nose start running. An hour or so later she has problems breathing, sinuses are blocked, and the headache starts.

If you guys are outside enjoying your campfire, we generally are inside with the ac running or have to leave if we can't get away from it.
AW,

Allergies suk!!!

Consider keeping one of these handy, used them a lot working as a "knuckle buster", still find them very useful,(i'm "allergic" feline poop box's).
It may help reduce the symptoms while finding better clime's.

Bob
Old 09-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #184
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
I would suggest talking to the persons who do not know how to make a minimal smoke fire or talk to the ranger to take corrective action....beyond the get over it its part of camping.....if this list of comments get much longer we could all end up on jerry springer......
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #185
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
P S Any cigarette or cigar smokers complaining ????????
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #186
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Bob (AKA Coudsplitter / Lost in the sixties),

I am sure I would enjoy hanging with you and your dog around the campfire.

Growing up camping, the campfire has always been a source of heat, fuel for cooking and a means for escape from the daily grind.

I have a lot of fond memories of sitting around fire as a kid, watching our kids around the fire, and many lazy evenings with friends and few (or many) adult beverages.

Again.....for all those who complain about camp fires.......

Limit your camping to Walmart

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #187
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
"white man build big fire and sit way back; indian build small fire and sit close"
I too like a campfire, but also respect the rights of my neighbors.
For a good fire with less smoke,use well seasoned quality hardwood, not the smelly soft wood that is green or damp. The damp and/or green wood is what causes the most smoke. I buy fire wood from a local supplier and age it for 1-2 years before use and keep it dry (covered with a tarp). I know we are NOT suppose to transport firewood but who knows where the campground got the wood they are selling. And most of the time it has not been aged and contains the moisture that leads to the smokey fire.
This is camping, enjoy the outdoors with or without a fire. ENJOY!!!
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #188
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Go to your CP and set the page length to 100 posts. Then it is only 2 pages.

But you have valid point. Even a mega giga pages of posts will not cause one single member to switch sides.

P.S. a mega giga equals a kilo tera

oh there ya go! thanks, now it doesn't seem near as ridiculous!
and one more thing, for those of you who are concerned about all that pollution that campfires are belching into the atmosphere, may i suggest that you consider quitting the practice of dragging your airstream around with you when you go camping.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #189
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Doesn't some of this come down to where you are, and why you're there? If you're in a campground, with trees and dirt and bugs and all that outdoor stuff, and space between campsites, it's to be expected that people will have campfires. They're camping after all. If you're in what is basically a parking lot for RVs, building a fire would be inconsiderate. My major complaint about campfires isn't the smoke, it's when people build a fire that is entirely too big for the campsite, and build it 5 feet away from the "property line" of my campsite. And then go to bed without putting the fire out, leaving me to stay awake all night waiting for the embers to set my tent on fire.

Aside - back when our family used to go tent camping we once made a reservation at a State campground just North of Morro Bay. When we got there we discovered that it was literally a parking lot that had been renamed a non-hook-up "campground." We ended up pitching our tent on the grass median strip and spent a sleepless night, afraid that we'd get run over in the middle of the night by a departing motorhome. Needless to say, I didn't build a fire.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Lots of dirt, bugs, and smoke at Lakeshore Resort....Gotta love having P. Bob & Indian Mike doing the "BOB" around the campfire. The bigger the better, love campfires!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0347.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	139945Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0352.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	139946

Name:	SANY0353.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	139947Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0354.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	139948

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #191
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The irony of this is that some people who loves campfires will breathe in enough smoke over the years that they will get asthma or worse as their lungs are subjected to all the particulates. Some won't. It's a crap shoot, like some people in Las Vegas leave in their underwear, hitching a ride on I-15, and some go home happy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #192
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The irony of this is that some people who loves campfires will breathe in enough smoke over the years that they will get asthma or worse as their lungs are subjected to all the particulates. Some won't. It's a crap shoot, like some people in Las Vegas leave in their underwear, hitching a ride on I-15, and some go home happy.

Gene
And there are those who leave in their underwear AND are happy.

How did you know how I got to Colorado?

I was heading for Montana, but the ride I hitched turned right onto I-70 while I was sleeping.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #193
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
And there are those who leave in their underwear AND are happy.

How did you know how I got to Colorado?

I was heading for Montana, but the ride I hitched turned right onto I-70 while I was sleeping.

Ken
Ken, lucky you. People in their underwear are accepted in Colorado.

About 30 years ago someone was showing me the strip in Vegas and there was a guy in a blue suit standing on the curb, but he didn't any shoes or socks. Another satisfied customer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #194
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Ken, lucky you. People in their underwear are accepted in Colorado.

About 30 years ago someone was showing me the strip in Vegas and there was a guy in a blue suit standing on the curb, but he didn't any shoes or socks. Another satisfied customer.

Gene
He'd feel right at home around here, everyone would think he just drove up from Boulder.

The important part is- "How did he feel about campfires"?

Perhaps his shoes burnt up in one.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #195
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
A margarita. One of the basic food groups.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #196
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts

burn baby burn... & then pass it this way

& I love campfires, but agree w/a previous post that campgrounds should have some fire free loops... they'd prolly make more $ by appealing to all... (wonders if they have kid free campgrounds)

I have asthma too... so I feel for those who have difficulty breathing... for me it's cats... darn creatures can kill me... did somebody say margarita? mmmmmmmmmargarita
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #197
3 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordgene
when can we ban perfume?

Gene
AMEN!

ROTFLMAO@some of these posts... too funny!

campfires are HOT

& on the cigar note... I prefer the scent of pipe tobacco... never smoked it... just like the scent (although I only wear campfire)
aluminomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #198
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
For all you who don't like camp fires, get to Texas. No open campfires are allowed. Extreme draught conditions here. I was camping at Loyd Park in Grand Prarie this past weekend and they even banned charcoal. NO Outdoor flames allowed. I took my electric skillet outside and cooked Pork chops.

The aroma was there......I just glad noone complained about that!

Stream safe.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On our recent trip in Canada, they charged and extra fee ($8, I think) if you want to have a fire.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
...<snip>... I was camping at Loyd Park in Grand Prarie this past weekend and they even banned charcoal. NO Outdoor flames allowed. I took my electric skillet outside and cooked Pork chops.
....<snip>....

Shane
In AZ we often can't have not only ground fires, but no charcoal either. So we have to be prepared with a gas grill even though we prefer charcoal. We've learned to live with it.

Some state parks don't allow ground fires and they don't have fire pits.... BUT it's not necessarily because of fire hazzards...it's that they don't have the personnel to clean out the fire puts, etc. In this case, they often DO allow you to have a fire if you bring your own fire "vessel" and it is up off the ground and you clean up your ashes, etc...so sometimes we carry a portable fire pit that we can make a wood fire in. We actually kinda like it. Ours folds fairly flat and works very well...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9075_X_Sm.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	140035  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote