Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
A lot of people keep saying that if you burn dry wood, you won't get as much smoke. That's true. However, with wood restrictions in many states, you can't bring any firewood into a government (us) owned campground, to protect the forests from infestation. So, you have to take what they sell, which usually is not seasoned hardwood. so, you get pine, cut that year, with predictable results. Private campgrounds may be different, but there you often have the congestion issue.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #162
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
This is pretty funny, overall. Guess we can hook up the TV exhaust pipes to the complainers. No one is exempt.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #163
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
We rarely build a fire. Really, only if we have something to cook which would be better over an open flame.
I challenge you to find even one food item that would not be better when prepared over an open flame! I spent 4 hours the other weekend slaving over pork braised in chile verde after fire roasting the peppers and tomatillos for that as well. Sorry, but there's nothing you can do in an oven to compete with that!

Also to the person who mentioned not being able to bring in dry wood: try drying out your wood near the fire once it is started (admittedly you'll have to suffer through some smoke at the start) but you can use the metal grate on most fire rings to pre-roast your fire wood, resulting in a smoke-less fire later on, just watch that it doesn't get hot enough for them to catch on fire before their time!

It seems pretty unreasonable to expect that a tent-camper shouldn't be allowed to have a camp-fire! Most complaints seem to indicate an overcrowded campground, not an issue with the fires! Move from the KOA to a nice secluded campground in a national forest and all your problems will be solved!
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #164

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli View Post
I challenge you to find even one food item that would not be better when prepared over an open flame! I spent 4 hours the other weekend slaving over pork braised in chile verde after fire roasting the peppers and tomatillos for that as well. Sorry, but there's nothing you can do in an oven to compete with that!
Cake.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #165
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Differing Points of View

It's interesting to read the various comments, and different points of view. I have been on both sides of this discussion. I grew up loving campfires and fireplaces. There was nothing like a warm fireplace on a cold and blustery Winter day. But, several years ago, as I was enjoying our home fireplace during the Christmas holidays.....I came down with what I thought was a severe case of the flu. It turned out to be allergies....and, I am sorry to say, I can't tolerate any type of smoke now. I would love to enjoy a nice campfire while camping, but I have to keep my distance.......and, hope that my neighbors don't create too much smoke. On one occasion, in a crowded Pigeon Forge campground, we returned to find that our neighbor had built a fire within two feet of our Airstream (which had open windows). To make matters worse, he was burning pressure-treated lumber he had brought from home (can you say toxic fumes). I thought we were going to be forced to leave, but I had a discussion with him about the closeness of the fire, and managed to survive a very uncomfortable night.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
In all my years of camping, I would have never thought such a debate would occur. It's a sure sign of how the world and times are changing ... and how there's no pleasing everyone.

We have a campfire when it's allowed, if there's a ring, if there's no ban. We expect other campers to do likewise, keeping warm outside is part and parcel of the experience and getting back to basics, waiting for the stars to come into view (they appear after the sun sets and the air becomes chilly) ... to hear the banter from other camps lightens the soul and if the air outside gets smokey, we close our own door, but stay by the fire until quiet time and it's small enough to extinguish.

If someone close to our campsite is having difficulty starting or keeping a fire lit - more often we wander over and see if we can lend a hand or a dry piece of wood.

I guess being considerate depends on which side of the fence you're looking over ... and who you think should be.
Wendy
Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
I challenge you to find even one food item that would not be better when prepared over an open flame!
A margarita. One of the basic food groups.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post
In all my years of camping, I would have never thought such a debate would occur. It's a sure sign of how the world and times are changing ... and how there's no pleasing everyone.

We have a campfire when it's allowed, if there's a ring, if there's no ban. We expect other campers to do likewise, keeping warm outside is part and parcel of the experience and getting back to basics, waiting for the stars to come into view (they appear after the sun sets and the air becomes chilly) ... to hear the banter from other camps lightens the soul and if the air outside gets smokey, we close our own door, but stay by the fire until quiet time and it's small enough to extinguish.

If someone close to our campsite is having difficulty starting or keeping a fire lit - more often we wander over and see if we can lend a hand or a dry piece of wood.

I guess being considerate depends on which side of the fence you're looking over ... and who you think should be.
Wendy

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #169
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
The bigger...the better! Love campfires! But, you're right about the air quality can get rather poor, when you're in a large campground...I noticed the smoke invertion was really bad at Campground by the Lake, in Lake Tahoe, this last 4th of July.

P. Bob...doing the "BOB" on his birthday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02096.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	139615Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02098.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	139616

Name:	DSC02099.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	139617Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02100.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	139618

Come and see me at: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #170
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I love a good campfire. But it seems when it comes time to attend the burning of some quality wood,Im always to tired or already down for the count,LOL.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #171
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX

Cake.
Dutch Oven, No problem! The black bits around the edge are just insulation...
Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #172
2 Rivet Member

Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam

A margarita. One of the basic food groups.
Touché
Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #173

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli

Dutch Oven, No problem! The black bits around the edge are just insulation...
Unacceptable. "doable" != better.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #174
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamRollin View Post

Wendy

Totally Agree!! (I left out the part about helping others get their fire started.. I need to be more observant, and helpful.) Once I get settled in by the fire, I'm not moving..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #175
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Going camping without a camp fire is like going drinking to a place that dosent sell beer. But glad to hear that there is yet some more people out there that think the world revolves around them. Camp in your drive way and watch National Geographic and the discovery channel and use a fake fire by Indoor Campfires, Enjoy.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #176
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Only my BIL's, he builds 'em so big 'ya can't get near enough for the S'mor's.

PS...dog's love campfires too.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	piseco_20lake_20julyaug_202009_20162.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	139681  
Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #177
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I challenge you to find even one food item that would not be better when prepared over an open flame!
Ice cream.

For days we have suffered smoke from forest fires. My eyes are watering and I'm coughing. I like fires too, but the smoke and particulates can hurt me.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
i think the real question is.....is this really a thread with thirteen pages worth of input!?!...too funny!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
We bring 'pressed-wood' bricks camping with us and burn those. No restriction on "importing" them, either. Get the right kind and you can cook over them. They start quick, burn hot and well, and very little smoke.

That said, I do wish folks wouldn't burn plastic or trash...
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #180
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
i think the real question is.....is this really a thread with thirteen pages worth of input!?!...too funny!

Go to your CP and set the page length to 100 posts. Then it is only 2 pages.

But you have valid point. Even a mega giga pages of posts will not cause one single member to switch sides.

P.S. a mega giga equals a kilo tera
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote