Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When can we ban perfume?
Gene
I'll third the motion on the perfume ban Gene. We were in a Sweet Tomatoes near Denver a few weeks ago and I told my wife we need to get up and move. The lady on the bench behind my seat was so covered in perfume that I couldn't eat my lunch.

Charlie

Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Myself, wife and daughter were camping near Boothbat Harbor, Maine. Sitting outside the trailer enjoying a beer, wine and marshmellows when some OLD F__T came out and asked me to put out the fire because the smoke was wafting into his window. I put it out. NEVER again, He or anyone else can close their window or go buy a private lot and park there forever. The guy probably hates noisey kids all over the campground in the day!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlay View Post
Myself, wife and daughter were camping near Boothbat Harbor, Maine. Sitting outside the trailer enjoying a beer, wine and marshmellows when some OLD F__T came out and asked me to put out the fire because the smoke was wafting into his window. I put it out. NEVER again, He or anyone else can close their window or go buy a private lot and park there forever. The guy probably hates noisey kids all over the campground in the day!
Wow you are alot nicer that I....I would have let him know that I happened to like my campfire lit and that last time I checked I paid for my spot and would keep my fire on (thank you very much)!
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
i find that campfires relax me.when i am camping i like to be outdoors,and in the evening i enjoy a good fire.probably goes back to when i was in scouts and kept the tradition going.wife likes a campfire also,kids would rather sit inside the trailer and listen to music.kids dont seem to get what i like about it, but they are not teaching this old dog any new tricks.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #117
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Campfires are part of the ritual of camping for me; the same way that morning cup of coffee is in the morning for most folks. When I was tent camping, the fire was the primary source of hot water and warm food.

Most hotels and motels do not allow campfires. Please feel free to utilize their lodging facilities.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Gene
Im wiff you. It always make me wonder,With that much perfume,what are they trying to hide. I have to think a quick shower would have done the trick. I love a campfire,secondhand cigarette smoke NOT SO MUCH. Wood smoke I can tolerate but I have to get away from Cigarette or Cigar smoke.I try my best not to go all ballistic when other people smoke,but it does bother me,as a non-smoker of 11 yrs. Someone mentioned something about a law in Georgia,its also a law here in Ohio ,no smoking in any public place.I think its a good law for me anyway.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:19 AM   #119

2003 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ponz View Post
Campfires are part of the ritual of camping for me; the same way that morning cup of coffee is in the morning for most folks. When I was tent camping, the fire was the primary source of hot water and warm food.

Most hotels and motels do not allow campfires. Please feel free to utilize their lodging facilities.
Couldn't agree more there. If there is a firepit at my camsite (and I only camp where there are firepits), then there is going to be a fire in that pit while I am there! It's just not being outdoors without a fire. Heck, I have a firepit in my backyard!

I too tent camped all of my youth and now have an Airstream to help soften the hard edges, but that doesn't mean I go inside, pull the curtains and lock the door all day and night. Being outside in the evening around the campfire is what I look forward to. I just love the smell of an oak wood fire.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #120
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
I couldnt camp without a fire, Its simply tradition. Last year on a trip it was probably about 85 degrees out at 530PM and the fire was started. A little smoke helps keep the bugs away. And when camping in a national forest like I usually do, I really like to get left over wood cut down by fire fighters from fire season. Always dry and free and relatively easy to get to if you know where to look.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #121
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Thumbs up Clean Flame logs

Although we're used to having a campfire when weather permits, we've discovered an outstanding composite log: "Clean-Flame", which burns cleanly with almost no smoke, and can even be poked and/or cooked over, and combined together or with wood (unlike most other composites). An added benefit is that the logs are made from wax-coated produce boxes, which cannot go into normal paper recycling, but take forever to degrade in a landfill. The wax is "food-grade", so no toxic fumes, and it settles into coals that are good for cooking over. The inventor of the "Campfire-In-A-Can recommended them. Here's the website: CleanFlame They are available in a variety of stores; we get them in Safeway markets, or Vons markets in our area. Check them out!

Cheers,
Jerry & Susan

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
To burn or not to burn - that is the question...

We've always had campfires, it's a ritual thing with the family, kids, hot dogs, marshmallows, smores, dutch ovens...etc., etc..coffee around the campfire on a crisp fall/spring morning is an experience hard to duplicate...

Up until recently, we've never had any real problems with ours or neighbors camp fires - I guess most of the places we've camped all our lives, we've had enough room to get the fire ring away from the tents, trailers, Moho's so the smoke hadn't been a problem for us...

Now for the exception - last Thanksgiving we camped on the beach at Pismo SP in central calif for 10 days...we had some harsh wind for a couple of days, and so moved the fire ring closer to our AS that was acting as a wind break, so we could sit around the fire in the evening with the kids and grandkids...BIG mistake, as the next morning our AS smelled like one of those smoke houses mentioned by several above!

We'll never put our AS in that position again! We had to air out everything for several weeks to get rid of the smoke! We sure learned the hard way about 'nearby' campfires!

...cough, cough...Ray
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #123
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Campfires stink...

I have always felt that campfires are for the wide open spaces, not crowded campgrounds.

We recently spent a week in a very nice RV park in Elkader, IA.
The park is lovely and run by extremely pleasant people. However the experience certainly strengthen my anti-campfire feelings.

The temperature was in the high 80s and low 90s with near 100% humidity. In the evenings the the temperature dropped into the 70s and fog formed.

On the weekdays it was not too bad, but on the weekend, the RV park and adjacent city campground nearly filled up. Mostly with people from within 100 miles. A large percentage of them seemed to come for the sole purpose of building a campfire.

Since the town is in a valley and there was essentially no wind, the smoke hung in the air like fog. I don't have a big problem with allergies, but I was stuffing up like crazy. We were visiting relatives, so luckily we were away from the trailer a lot in the evening. No exaggeration, we could smell the smoke more than a mile away as we approached the campground. It was like there was a big wildfire just upwind.

I am wondering how this can be enjoyable for the ones who are causing it. Is there some sort of immunity one develops?

Regards,

Ken
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #124
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
One of the main reasons I don't camp at Wal-Marts anymore...they keep demanding that I put out the campfire.
Its just not camping without one.

Yup, I caint never get them partial-burnt logs out of the asphalt.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
Campfire restrictions at Yosemite

We spent this last weekend in a Yosemite Valley Campground (upper Pines). Yosemite has campfire restrictions that seem to appeal to people on both sides of this topic.
At Yosemite you are only allowed to have a campfire between the hrs. of 5pm and 10 pm. We heard that before these restrictions the valley floor would be filled with smoke from campfires all day long.
Although we didn't get to enjoy our morning campfire coffee it seemed like a reasonable trade off to have clean pure air for our busy day of hiking, biking and climbing.
At 10:01pm the rangers approached every campsite that still had a fire going and with no uncertain terms told all of us that still had fires that they must be fully extinguished NOW with water not even a smolder would be allowed.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I have always felt that campfires are for the wide open spaces, not crowded campgrounds.
Totally agree. We recently spent a night in an oceanside campground in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. While we much prefer state parks, this was right off our route and we could walk to town for dinner.

Not surprisingly, the trailers were chock-a-block to one another. That didn't stop our neighbors on either side of us, 10 feet in either direction, from starting campfires. One was more a "campsmoker," as smoke billowed from the firepit. It filled our trailer with smoke.

Thing is, these firepits sat about 15 feet from a busy road and the whole thing was pretty much in town. Just doesn't seem right.

Tom