Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2009, 06:29 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
At our permanent site at Penn Wood we installed a Napoleon Patioflame propane fireplace and love it. It throws enough heat to keep your toes warm on a spring and fall evening. When we want a real fire we head on down to the community fire ring and have a real wood fire there.

When we pull the '06 somewhere we usually take a small amount to have a real campfire in the evenings.

Here is the propane fireplace, note the Mrs. still has a blanket wrapped around her legs...

TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
CAMPFIRE IN A CAN
A GREAT FIRE WITHOUT THE SMOKE
FOR US WIMPS
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Campfire-In-A-Can

We love our "classic" Campfire-in-a-can, which burns wood, charcoal or composite logs. Actually, we BBQ/cook over charcoal in it, then use the still-hot coals to quick-start a campfire in it as well. Great dual-use fireplace that complies with all metal-contained, off-the-ground fire regulations in the places we boondock. The photos were taken in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (CA), where free off-road camping is the rule, not the exception.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campfire-in-a-can.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	100187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campfire.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	100188  

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
I'll take a smoky campfire over a yapping dog any day.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
We like a real campfire, but when we can't have one due to fire restrictions, we just got a fire dancer. So now we will have a choice. What is camping without a campfire?????
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Love campfires,if the city of Naples would allow it I would have 1 here whenever I have a party.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I am with the campfire LOVERS; have to have one every camping trip. Even have a place set out back on our property behind the house for one. Nothing better than sitting by a fire with friend and family enjoying a good time.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I don't know if this has alredy been said; "whiteman build big fire and sit back, indian build small fire and sit close"
I cary a portable fire ring with me when camping. It serves two purposes, we cook almost ALL meals over the open fire, it be on the grill or the Dutch Oven. We also use the fire as a form of relaxation after a day of activities ie biking, hiking fishing or visiting.
We try to control the fire so that it isn't obnoxious (sp) to others. We also invite others to join us so one fire satisfies them too. Less fires that way.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I don't know if this has alredy been said; "whiteman build big fire and sit back, indian build small fire and sit close"
I cary a portable fire ring with me when camping. It serves two purposes, we cook almost ALL meals over the open fire, it be on the grill or the Dutch Oven. We also use the fire as a form of relaxation after a day of activities ie biking, hiking fishing or visiting.
We try to control the fire so that it isn't obnoxious (sp) to others. We also invite others to join us so one fire satisfies them too. Less fires that way.
do you haved any pics of the one that you bring along? We are starting to DO cook and may want to carry something that has dual purpose.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I may be in for a lynching here, but Sam and I hate camp fires.

It seems that state campgrounds have more of them, in our experience. We prefer state campgrounds for everything about them except the fact that every site has to build a fire. I know it's part of the camping thing for families, but frequently there is a blanket of smoke over the whole place every night. It's so thick it irritates your throat and you carry the smell with you for ever. We end up closing all the windows in an attempt to keep some of the smoke out of the trailer so we can sleep.

Most campgrounds have more than one "loop" or section of camp sites. So we thought why don't they make one section a no campfire zone? Unless we are the only ones......
Unfortunately the smoke problem will get alot worst with the no bring your own wood rules at state parks. They will sell you not dry softwood which smokes bad even if you know what your are doing. A well built fire with real dry hard wood of the appropriate size smoke very little. Weather effects it also. It's mostly one of those stupid people problems. Find a campground on top of a hill and camp on the prevailing wind side. Should be better. We have a small propane campfire we sometimes use if the weather or wood's a problem. I like it because it contributes to climate change, which I am in favor of for New England.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
There are a lot of experiences being shared that are basically "bad neighbor" stories. You could replace the campfire with loud music, drunken shouting matches, screaming kids, running toys into your vehicles, or barking dogs. Critiquing drinking, kids and dogs is harder here than campfires though.

On our last trip someone had their car alarm going off for probably a total 4 hours, 10-20 minutes at a time, over 3 days. After the first day of this, several people in the park would just hit the panic button on their own car alarm key fob to honk back. I'm sure he had lots of suggestions for various ways to fix it! But the honking continued.

Same trip, someone had a storage compartment door that sounded like nails on a chalk board run through a loud speaker (unbelievably loud for some reason). They would open this thing every hour, real slow. I had my can of dry lube spray out on the picnic table, but he wasn't even near us and I never could figure out who it was to offer to quite the squeak. Too be honest, I might have not asked for permission and just put a good long spray right down the hinge when they were out.

I'm told even the garbage trucks and street sweepers are inconsiderate to the parking lot boondockers. Who makes that kind of noise at 3am? Jerks.
I think you need to try some different campgrounds.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
The RV park where we spend the summer has one community campfire in front of the park's office/store. It's far enough from all of the the individual campsites that smoke on your own site is never a problem.

For me, it's the best of all worlds. The park's owners supply all the wood, and chairs (unless you want to use your own). Like any campfire, there is naturally smoke, but you can always move your chair around the fire to get away from the smoke if you wish(I do!), or move closer or farther from the fire.

Weather permitting, the fire starts every night at 7:00pm, and lasts until us regulars decide to leave and put the fire out. It's a good way to meet many other people, plus there's always those sinfully delicious flavors of ice cream that're sold in the campgound's store.

John
Old 04-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
The RV park where we spend the summer has one community campfire in front of the park's office/store. It's far enough from all of the the individual campsites that smoke on your own site is never a problem.

For me, it's the best of all worlds. The park's owners supply all the wood, and chairs (unless you want to use your own). Like any campfire, there is naturally smoke, but you can always move your chair around the fire to get away from the smoke if you wish(I do!), or move closer or farther from the fire.

Weather permitting, the fire starts every night at 7:00pm, and lasts until us regulars decide to leave and put the fire out. It's a good way to meet many other people, plus there's always those sinfully delicious flavors of ice cream that're sold in the campgound's store.

John
That's my kind of campground! But where is it?
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Yes, flyfisher, I enjoyed sitting by that fire. And the Montana wind sent the smoke away.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..campfires really wreck my allergies, but I can't seem to resist one...although once, when camping in a full-up 300-site so-called "campground" I almost lost it..my kid was enjoying her 'camping Halloween' so much with friends I just had to tough it out...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #96

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We do a lot of camping, but don't really care for the campfires, although we prefer them to stupid yapping dogs.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I personally love campfires. Camping without a fire is like hotelling it... it's just.... blah.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #98
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Sometimes It Takes Looking Through A Haze Of Campfire Smoke
To See The World Clearly

- just a thought -

[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post

John
I have often thought this would be a good way enjoy a campfire and control those that seem to think a bonfire is the way to go!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 AM   #100
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Several years ago we were planning a trip to CO. Only half the state seemed to be on fire.
There were no campfires allowed.. I started calling forest service offices going north until I found a place that had enough rain they would let us have a campfire..
That's how we found New Fork Lake Campground, just north of Pinedale, WY.
We were willing to drive a extra day north and west just so we could have our campfire..
We travel without a TV, microwave, dog, generator, etc. Just the sound of a crackling fire for me.. All is well at that point.

Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote