Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Smoke Magnet

I like campfires and they like me. Seems like no matter how smokeless it is and that I'm upwind, somehow the wind always seems to shift and the fire starts to smoke and its always in my direction. Come to think of it I am also a magnet for mosquitos too. Maybe I can take Cutter's Deep Woods aerosol and spray the fire with it. Yeah...that'd work.

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I love campfires. Not in 100 degree heat of course, but on cool mornings and evenings. To me it's not camping without it.

Not a fan of irresponsible campers, but that's a blanket statement encompassing more than just bad campfires.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member
1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I like my fires big and colorful.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LPPI Applecreek Rally 07-026.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	82849  
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Associate Member)
dnrtheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
I love campfires. There's nothing better than rolling in amongst a park full of octogenarians, letting my 12 kids out of the station wagon, and getting a rolling smoke ball from some green firewood.

By the second night, there's not a mosquito or another RV in sight and we have the place to ourselves.
My Brain Project and Tech Notes
airbassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I also love the campfires & hate the smoke. As a handyman, I save all the wood scraps of 2x4,2x6, & other framing wood. This kiln dried wood burns nicely wthout smoke. I can also bring from state to state without fear of relocating little bugs. I've never been not allowed to bring in ths type of wood. In Arizona state parks, We were only allowed to burn Durafalme type logs. This is a nice option for minimal smoke with lasting flame.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #48
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
At our unit rallies, we always have a campfire if allowed. They have to be big to accommodate the large group of people who gather every night to chat and tell those great stories. We tend to camp in group sites that have a fire pit that is centrally located and some distance from the trailers.

Without a campfire we would have no marshmallows, no smores and no pie irons.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #49
1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Low-smoke Campfire

Okay, I wish I could remember the exact link - I might be able to if anyone is interested - but I saw on the forums where someone explained and had a picture of how to build a campfire that was virtually smokeless.

They said it was kind of backwards. You put the biggest logs on bottom and build up the smaller ones from there until it's kind of a pyramid. At the very top you put your kindling.

Interesting, I had never heard that before, but they had great success with it. I grew up tent camping, so a fire was a must. We kids loved it - granted, we did try to sit opposite the smoke, because my mom didn't know that aforementioned trick either.

- Natasha
Terry & Natasha Turner
'76, 31' Sovereign International Land Yacht
Remodel Madness

tdturn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #50
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Very interesting....HUMMMMM I will try it
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #51
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I think it's clear after 50 posts that we all hate the smoke, not necessarily the fire. So far we have: The hotter the fire the less unburnt fuel (wood) escapes into the air (smoke). Green wood, more smoke. Pit too deep makes for less oxygen for fire, more smoke. Burning trash, more smoke, bad smell.

Lets talk about barking dogs next.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #52
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I don't hate camp fires, I just don't have much use for one. My kids do though. We mostly camp in warm climes and during warm weather so we don't need it for warmth. The kids just like to make s'mores.

Last July we camped at a GA. Power campground on Lake Harbin near Columbus, GA. It was 99 degrees on Saturday and still in the 90's that night. Being on a lake with those temps, there was a lot of evaporation and incredible humidity. But, we were the only ones in a packed campground that didn't have a campfire. There was so much smoke that our air conditioner sucked in enough smoke to set off our smoke detectors! We had to disconnect both of them to stop them from going off all night. My wife decided to stay up and finish her book to make sure there were no real fire dangers in the Airstream.

At another campground in North Georgia over Spring Break this year, we camped at a campground where everyone, including us, had a camp fire. One night (it was down in the upper 30's) there was so much smoke that we wound up with smoke stains on the ceiling in front of the A/C registers! We wound up just letting the fire go out another night after the initial burn and cloistered ourselves away inside to watch a movie because there was so much smoke outside you could hardly breath.

Too much of a good thing is still too much!
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I think it's clear after 50 posts that we all hate the smoke, not necessarily the fire. So far we have: The hotter the fire the less unburnt fuel (wood) escapes into the air (smoke). Green wood, more smoke. Pit too deep makes for less oxygen for fire, more smoke. Burning trash, more smoke, bad smell.

Lets talk about barking dogs next.

Oh - I was going to vote for running of generators all night . When I was a tent camper, I used to think those sophisticated RVers were the ones where were inconsiderate. Funny how things change. That's another reason to love your trailer/coach: you can close your windows and -at least muffle things that make you crazy at those strategic times!

But I agree, barking dogs are one of the more difficult things to tune out.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
My 2 cents, stop burning wood pallets, they are treated with chemicals and
they SMOKE real bad
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member
1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Barking dogs make bad smelling camp fires......
1959 "Globester"
reggiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #56

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
We love a fire for the social aspect, and I just can't head in for the night without a smore, or two. nilesrob whipped up a great fire at Springstream in his “Cauldron of Death”.

We (me that is) won't tolerate constant barking and I've knocked on neighboring trailer doors when the owner's chose to ignore the constant yapping. Love dogs...just don't appreciate some clueless owners.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote