Thanks for the insight guys, very interesting. Jim

Old 07-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #534
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Campfire....

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #535
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Bob,

I think the closer one gets to full-timing the less respect one has for campfires. Most of them just annoy me- but we know, like someone said, that RV parks, like the Co-op we stay in during winter here in Florida, seldom allow them.

State parks, on the other hand, and NPs with no fire restrictions, have them. So we know if we stay there, there will be smoke!

It's fun to have a campfire at a rally- AIR Midwest used to always have a group campfire at Acorn Acres in Branson, and we loved that. And the smell of a GOOD campfire in the fall is a good smell.

However, the smell of my electric skillet frying taters & onions is better. Not to mention a slow roaster barbequed pork butt in progress.

I think campfires are mostly for vacationers and weekend campers - and especially when kids are involved. We make campfires for the kids ourselves.

Note of caution, when cooking on a campfire or any other way outside in bear country, especially at night - might be surprised at who comes to dinner. LOL bears can smell miles away!

Those propane fires in a can are cool!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #536
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Bob,

I think the closer one gets to full-timing the less respect one has for campfires. Most of them just annoy me...

However, the smell of my electric skillet frying taters & onions is better. Not to mention a slow roaster barbequed pork butt in progress...

I think campfires are mostly for vacationers and weekend campers - and especially when kids are involved...

Note of caution, when cooking on a campfire or any other way outside in bear country, especially at night - might be surprised at who comes to dinner. LOL bears can smell miles away!
Yes... and who possibly comes slithering by later... hungry snakes looking for mice... and warm places... "Can a snake get in?"... Well, now we know.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #537
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
More evidence that I just despise 'em...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4261341334.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	196853  
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #538
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We are on the road and ended up in a state park campground for the weekend. Friday night and it smells like a burning landfill outside the trailer. I like campfires, I just don't like what some people choose to burn in their campfires.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #539
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
I find it strange that there are people that don't enjoy campfires. I don't believe there has been one time in my life that I was offended by a campfire other than a wind shift that puts the smoke in your face. I can certainly understand those who have a medical condition though.

I personally have a campfire every time I camp. I do all my cooking and warming by that fire. Where I usually camp, I have no shortage of mesquite firewood that makes for some amazing BBQ.

Now that I have my Argosy I don't think I will change a thing. I have a two man crosscut saw and a couple of axes I keep in the argosy for the chore of cutting firewood. The saw makes very short work of logs and is fun to use. If we have neighbors in the camping area, they usually want to try the saw which makes the chore that much easier. I don't like using my consumables (propane) if I don't have to. Cooking over an open fire not only saves my propane for when I actually need it, it is also very satisfying to me. Plus, I love that smell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4272439808.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	197136  
Old 10-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #540
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
St David , Arizona
To add to my last post, I am a firefighter/paramedic. We do a lot of wildland firefighting. Because fires are extinguish far too often, the forest floors are very flammable. If an area hasn't had a fire for quite some time, you will find lots of burnable wood on the forest floor. In general, gathering firewood near a campground is not going to harm anything. This is true mostly because the firewood people gather for their fires is usually pretty small stuff because you can't use a chainsaw. Therefor, you are not really upsetting the truly habitat forming deadfall. You are also removing the "ladder" fuels that allow a fire that is in the duff to climb into the crowns that create truly devastating fires.

The thing is we are human and we are lazy. The idea of traveling more than a few hundred yards to get firewood is out of the question for most. So, the idea that we are harming the entire national park by collecting deadfall in the 10 acres of camping areas is ridiculous. What is does do is create a more visually appealing area to camp in. Forest fires usually do that for us but maintaining a campground usually means no big forest fires so, burn that deadfall! As a caveat, I don't ever have large campfires. I have very small fires specifically to cook over. It is plenty big enough to get lost in but not a raging Bon fire either. I can cook my entire meal over it and be able to put it out quickly. Sometimes I use a Dakota hole fire.

This is a video I made of the Dakota Hole fire http://youtu.be/yXDlSjZ5fgQ
Old 10-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #541
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
A lot hinges on where you like to camp. We don't like big RV parks where we are packed in like sardines between big white box 5th wheels and class-A motor homes on a big parking lot with hook-ups. It is nicer to stay home if that is one's idea of camping, in our experience.

We recently stayed at one of our favourite sites, the municipal campground in New Denver, BC. We just about had the place to ourselves, so there was no one to annoy. The beach driftwood at the campground seemed well gleaned by previous campers, so we picked up some on a farther shore during a paddle on the lake. It is so nice to have a beach pretty much to yourself, and to linger over a glass of wine as you sit by a driftwood campfire -- on which you have previously cooked your bison steaks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5014_edited.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	197169  
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #542
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Another view from this campfire-friendly CG, in sunnier weather.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3083.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	197170  
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #543
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Beautiful, Len n Jeanne! You should enter those in this month's photo contest!

Jealous for sure. I can't park my trailer at my house (honestly, would love to camp in my backyard!) so sometimes those quick weekend trips mean campsites like you describe. We still love it and have fun, but someday we hope to have much more time to drive for days to beautiful sites like those and REALLY camp out!

Until then, it's fun to live vicariously through pics like the ones you posted.

We had our last trip of the season next weekend (that is just too depressing to even type) and it will be at one of those non-glorious sites - but we will have a glorious time :-)
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #544
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Re: what people put in their fires - I imagine there is a temptation to put trash in a fire but thankfully, we haven't been anywhere that's happened (at least not in our nose range).

Campgrounds also force you to buy their seemingly never seasoned, always green/wet wood and that doesn't help much. But if you prep it well enough, you can overcome that problem with a pretty sweet, non-smoky fire. I have one every time we camp. I am definitely in the "love them" not "hate them" camp....

Name:	image-201837153.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	197177
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #545
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We are in the pro camp fire, camp. We try to stay in remote boondocks type of areas away from so called camping in the elbow too elbow parks, etc. However we have stayed in a few asphalt jungle parking lot RV Parks (YUK).
When we are out by ourselves it is very much part of the camping experience for us.
If you can't stand the smoke, and idiots who try to burn green wood. Get out and enjoy boon docking, the ultimate AS camping experience.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	197182  
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #546
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Danville , California
This is the reason I was so eager to give up camping in a tent. I hate the smoke!!!

1955 Kenskill Rebuild link
Chlyman is offline   Reply With Quote