Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #449
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyranger View Post
Wow! Inconsiderate campfire operation morphs into motor home owner bashing! Except that there is NO correlation between the two. dde07

My observation around SoCal is that wood campfires are, more often than not, prohibited so its a non-issue 'round here.

Roy
Sure there is. You ever burn one of those SOBs? They REALLY put out a stink.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #450
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
Sure there is. You ever burn one of those SOBs? They REALLY put out a stink.
Especially the fiberglass ones.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #451
Airstream Voyeur

Currently Looking...
Northern California , California
Well played sirs. Point conceded!

Roy
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #452
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
No, I don't hate camp fires.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #453

1994 30' Excella
Theodore , Alabama
Taming the smoke

I love fires, particularly bonfires, but a subtle blaze at a campground is wonderful in the winter. I detest smoke and have a true aversion to folks who don't properly tepee a campground fire and I also have asthma. My husband asked me to build the fires and we loved sitting around the blaze, being at peace with the mesmerizing flicker of orange, yellow, and purple. People often commented on the "nice fire" he built and he always nodded gracefully then gave me a wink. It takes an affinity for fire and an understanding of how things burn to get a nearly smokeless fire. Use dry cardboard, torn in shreds, tepee'd with kindling then layer the tepee with smaller pieces of wood and around again, always in a tepee shape, with larger pieces of wood. You can use dryer lint with candle wax rolled in a tube as an accelerant, but nothing more, and if your wood is dry enough, you don't need that either. Once you have good, hot coals, you only need to throw on a few pieces of wood at a time.

If you do it right, you'll have a little smoke for about 3 minutes. If you're having trouble, ask someone with a nice fire to help you...we don't mind showing off.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #454
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
This will be such a debby downer to add to this if it has not been said already....I have not read through all the posts in this thread....but the sad reality is that burning wood has its health issues, take a read:

The Fireplace Delusion: A Metaphor for Religious Belief - The Daily Beast

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #455

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
This will be such a debby downer to add to this if it has not been said already....I have not read through all the posts in this thread....but the sad reality is that burning wood has its health issues
So, even breathing clean air will eventually kill you. In fact, I guarantee that everyone who draws a breath today will die. Someday.

In the immortal words of Voltaire, there are some vices it's worth shortening your life for. If a campfire (or a fireplace) gives you pleasure, then every hour in front of a campfire is certainly worth giving up a miserable hour later that you would have spent breathing disinfectant-laden hospital air.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #456
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To be clear, I am a fan of campfires.....as any toxin, "toxicity" tends to be a dose dependent thing....

Regular use of wood fireplaces in homes and heavily in neighborhoods though will increase the likelihood to increase "time spent breathing disinfectant-laden hospital air"....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #457

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Regular use of wood fireplaces in homes and heavily in neighborhoods though will increase the likelihood to increase "time spent breathing disinfectant-laden hospital air"....
I guess I made my point poorly. Perhaps an example… I used to have a neighbor in my previous apartment complex, who was diagnosed with an inoperable cancer and told she had less than a year to live. She elected to forego chemotherapy in favor of spending however many days she had left enjoying life. Five months later, she was dead, but she died surrounded by friends and family, at home, after enjoying herself immensely. She felt it was better to live five good months than a dozen miserable ones.

So, if having a campfire one day shortens your life by an extra day, you can either choose not to have the campfire and live the extra day, or enjoy the campfire and not worry about how many days your have left— if campfires are one of the vices worth shortening your life for.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #458
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Ahhhh, thank God for the ignore list! What a great tool.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #459
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Protagonist & barbnbama-- Thank you for your wise posts.

There is an art to building a good campfire. Unfortunately some asthmatics & sensitive breathers have little control over the non-savvy pyromaniacs in the next site, other than to complain and hope they tone it down or put it out.

There is no reason to breathe foul air from your own campfire-- unless somehow you can't sit up-wind from it, or are downwind to discourage mosquitoes.

We just had a great campfire experience overlooking L. Koocanusa in southeastern BC. There is a lot of driftwood, free for the collecting, and it burns really well. That lemon-marinated shrimp and asparagus in the hinged grill over those driftwood coals really went down well.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #460
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
That lemon-marinated shrimp and asparagus in the hinged grill over those driftwood coals really went down well.

That sounds fantastic.. Wish I was camping this wknd..

Edit.. I'd have a campfire..
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #461
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
There is no denying the aesthetic beauty of a camp fire.

A well built fire will be better tolerated by neighbors, but just like any other campground nuisance, such as noise pollution from loud stereos, barking dogs, loud generators etceteras, tolerance of particulate pollution, aka Smoke, should be at the discretion of the campground rangers and managers.

I have had numerous occasions where it has become intolerable.

Case 1) while camping on Little Talbot Island (State Park), we were awakened one morning by a foul smell coming in our open windows. What had been a peaceful nights sleep with plenty of marsh scented fresh air, became a nightmare when the family that had moved in next door overnight, decided to use their fire ring to dispose of every scrap of trash wood they could find around their site, and I expect a bit of garbage as well. It was extremely smokey and drifted low in the cool morning air directly into the direction of our trailer. Inexcusable, and despicable. We should have had recourse with the park management, but they generally do not intervene. The rings are there and folks can use as they like.

Case 2) There is an annual festival called Riverhawk over near Brooksville, FL at the Seratoma Youth Ranch. It is a pretty much free for all when it comes to campfires and the camp is densely populated. One look at this convinced us we were in for a miserable time if we camped there, so we turned around and headed a few miles away to the very pleasant former Airstream Park, Travelers Rest. Well worth the extra fee and little bit of gas required to commute to the festival. Sure the campground ambiance was not the same, but neither was the air pollution.

Particulate smoke is very hazardous to older folks with respiratory and cardiac issues. Why would one wish to recreate in it?

So in case 1) above, absolutely, the State Park should regulate and enforce campfire regulations and ensure equal opportunity and enjoyment by all. A complaint of smoke should be treated the same as a barking or aggressive dog.

In case 2) Private events and Parks can do as they like. I will opt for the clean air and convenience of a well maintained park that prohibits fires.

Its a free country, but state and federal facilities need to keep in mind the comfort of all.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #462
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We sure hate them during this, the fire season! We do our best to make sure that none of our guests even dreams of starting anything that involves flames without shut-off valves.

We've already had three major fires in our part of the state. Evidently, there are more on the Colorado side, a couple of which have closed Wolf Creek Pass as of yesterday. Here's a shot from Flickr from up near Saguache, just east of the Lake City/Creede area:

Forest Fire and Smoke Plume Panoramic, Saguache County CO by GFFPhoto, on Flickr

Lynn