Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #461
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
There is no denying the aesthetic beauty of a camp fire.

A well built fire will be better tolerated by neighbors, but just like any other campground nuisance, such as noise pollution from loud stereos, barking dogs, loud generators etceteras, tolerance of particulate pollution, aka Smoke, should be at the discretion of the campground rangers and managers.

I have had numerous occasions where it has become intolerable.

Case 1) while camping on Little Talbot Island (State Park), we were awakened one morning by a foul smell coming in our open windows. What had been a peaceful nights sleep with plenty of marsh scented fresh air, became a nightmare when the family that had moved in next door overnight, decided to use their fire ring to dispose of every scrap of trash wood they could find around their site, and I expect a bit of garbage as well. It was extremely smokey and drifted low in the cool morning air directly into the direction of our trailer. Inexcusable, and despicable. We should have had recourse with the park management, but they generally do not intervene. The rings are there and folks can use as they like.

Case 2) There is an annual festival called Riverhawk over near Brooksville, FL at the Seratoma Youth Ranch. It is a pretty much free for all when it comes to campfires and the camp is densely populated. One look at this convinced us we were in for a miserable time if we camped there, so we turned around and headed a few miles away to the very pleasant former Airstream Park, Travelers Rest. Well worth the extra fee and little bit of gas required to commute to the festival. Sure the campground ambiance was not the same, but neither was the air pollution.

Particulate smoke is very hazardous to older folks with respiratory and cardiac issues. Why would one wish to recreate in it?

So in case 1) above, absolutely, the State Park should regulate and enforce campfire regulations and ensure equal opportunity and enjoyment by all. A complaint of smoke should be treated the same as a barking or aggressive dog.

In case 2) Private events and Parks can do as they like. I will opt for the clean air and convenience of a well maintained park that prohibits fires.

Its a free country, but state and federal facilities need to keep in mind the comfort of all.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #462
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We sure hate them during this, the fire season! We do our best to make sure that none of our guests even dreams of starting anything that involves flames without shut-off valves.

We've already had three major fires in our part of the state. Evidently, there are more on the Colorado side, a couple of which have closed Wolf Creek Pass as of yesterday. Here's a shot from Flickr from up near Saguache, just east of the Lake City/Creede area:

Forest Fire and Smoke Plume Panoramic, Saguache County CO by GFFPhoto, on Flickr

Lynn
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #463
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I would rather pass from this life with my feet propped up in front of a nice campfire, than to spend a single minute breathing 'clean' sanitized air from a hospital or nursing home bed. To me, a 'nice' campfire excites all the senses...the warm glow, the heat, the smell, the crackling of the wood, the camp coffee pot, bacon.... That being said, there is nothing worse than a snizzling, fizzling, wet, smokey campfire.

Perhaps parks and campgrounds should incorporate non-campfire areas, to accommodate those who need to avoid them. As for me, I wouldn't camp anywhere that did not allow a campfire.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #464
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Maybe they should make you have a license to build a camp fire in order to have a proper fire.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #465
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
A license for a campfire...don't give government any ideas. As for hating campfires, the black flies of the Adirondacks hate em so I automatically love them. Nice and smokey. It takes years to learn how to build a nice smokey fire that last all day. Camp remotely and no one is bothered. If I camp in a campground I usually don't bother.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3405709468.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	188849  
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #466
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Tom..I work within healthcare...and the science the describes what constitutes smoke from most any burned wood and it's health effects is a tad hair raising to be frank.

The particulate that is created when burning wood is extremely fine in size...resists gravity...sets in the air column for severely long time periods, will effortlessesly pass into homes and into campers...chemicals in wood fire can be teratogenic, carcinogenic, allergenic, etc.

I have a sense of romanticism about a glowing camp fire...I suspect that I will continue to enjoy the occassional campfire....

But when I look down at my small children, I honestly begin to ask myself why I will not just burn gas...? Of course that would not be the same...I have such nostalgia about campfires...it is painful for me to integrate my feelings on this matter to be honest...part of me says "awww screw it enjoy life"..the other part is like "be a good parent, protect your children from unnecessary cancer/lung disease risks and enjoy healthy living".

argh

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #467
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
I fear burning garbage more than anything, and in many rural areas, folks still routinely burn their trash (plastic, rubber, you name it.)

But back on the topic of wood fires, I know that the EPA routinely monitors particulate pollution in many urban areas. In Sacratomato, the county has regular bans of wood fireplace use in the winter months, primarily because of the SMOG it creates.

Now I am not against fires in general, I am a former Forester and routinely espouse the benefits of wood products, the forest industry, and even biomass fuel production. But there is a limit and a margin of safety that should be observed when dealing with combustibles in a populated setting, so count me in on those who resent someone else polluting my air.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #468
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Just to set the record straight, is there anybody on this board who prefers to sit downwind from their campfire? Then why do you ignore the fact that other campers may be situated so?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #469
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Mini-rant about biofuel which is totally off topic... Many pulp mills have been using waste wood to power their plants for years and most are very clean. They are regulated and require scrubbers.

Now the rant: Wood is a renewable resource. It is solar energy derived and carbon neutral (trees capture carbon from the atmosphere). All fossil fuels, including NatGas, release formerly trapped carbon in the form of CO2. Deny global warming if you want to, but I'd rather err on the safe side.

End Rant.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #470
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I don't think anybody wants to breathe lousy air, from whatever source. (Such as urban air pollution or a poorly ventilated home.) The solution is simply to sit upwind from the fire (unless of course, you're in the Adirondacks during black fly season!)

Slob campers are slob campers. But I wonder how many of us have ever asked a neighbouring camper to "turn down" their fire, just as we might ask them to turn down load music. Anybody but the most aggressive campers should be sensitive upon learning that their neighbour is asthmatic.

I've loved "primitive" camping all my life-- but recently I've wondered whether I wouldn't be happier just staying home. Camping has changed from the back-to-nature experience of my youth into just another type of urban experience. Monster motor homes and 5th wheels (AS's excepted!) are really just cabins (cottages) on wheels. They block the views, create their own noise (generators) and demand huge swaths of level pavement. We've been camping in spectacular National Parks-- only to find ourselves in Slab City surrounded by massive RVs whose owners couldn't survive a mile from their RV if their lives depend upon it.

And this truly is a good reason to teach children to build a proper campfire. If we do go camping (aka 'streamin') in the woods or deserts, we probably should know a few survival basics. Such as how to keep warm and boil water with a decent wood fire in the event of a worst-case scenario.

I feel sorry for kids who never learn to toast marshmellows or grill hot dogs on a stick; kids who never get to sit up late and tell ghost stories around the campfire, or kids who never learned safe and useful ways to handle matches.

I'm glad that I did learn these things before they got regulated into a more urban un-camping experience.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #471
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

If theres a safe fire-pit at a public CG I have no problem with lighting up.

If you don't enjoy campfires, why not try the PC RV resorts.

Bob
Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #472
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Hey Bob, Is that Piseco? Looks like the Adk.

Bill
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #473
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I love camp fires! Maybe I am a bit of a pyromaniac. That is one the fun aspects of camping. I also am a terrible allergy/sinus sufferer, but I will generally suffer anyway, with or without a camp fire. If you hate camp fires maybe you should reconsider the RV lifestyle...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #474
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I love the reflection of the fire in the airstream.

Note the tee-pee placement of the wood :-)

Name:	image-876153422.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	188859
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #475
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
And the fire is dying down ... :-(

Name:	image-3096615326.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	188860

While the tacky but fun lights strung on the zip dee keep on shining :-)

Name:	image-2842358991.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	188861
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #476
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post
Hey Bob, Is that Piseco? Looks like the Adk.

Bill
Good eye Bill, Poplar Point, sounds like you've been there.
DW is from Poland/Cold Brook area, she's been camping there with her Family all her life, got me to tag along back in the early 70's.

Love It...."Cloudsplitter"

Bob
Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #477
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Campfires are one of life's little pleasures.

One of the great things about NF campgrounds is that frequently there are lots of cut trees around which you are encouraged to cut up and burn.

We spent the last two nights in a NF campground east of Aspen, CO, and had a fire all day yesterday. Cooked breakfast and dinner with it, river rushing nearby.

Life is good.

Maggie
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #478
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The worst part of campfires is the ignorance of what they can become when they are left to burn unattended. We're on pins & needles out here in the West with the 4th of July and summer camping season upon us.
Attached Images

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #479
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
It's all in knowing how to light and manage a camp fire, plus being a good neighbor while camping.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #480
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The tin goat enjoys the fire...

Name:	image-1372941165.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	700.4 KB
ID:	188978