Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #441
1 Rivet Member

Alpine , California
Wow! Inconsiderate campfire operation morphs into motor home owner bashing! Except that there is NO correlation between the two. 😇

My observation around SoCal is that wood campfires are, more often than not, prohibited so its a non-issue 'round here.

Roy
HighwayRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #442
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I don't no where to to post this but at brickyard 400 several yrs.ago huge motor home next to my AS had gen. running const. next to my door filling me up w/fumes had to close up & run my gen. to survive also trying to eat breakfast out side pumped sewage tank rt. next to our table his excuse our s--t don't stink also they stayed inside almost whole time also had to back further in spot or else could not open awning campground not to happy about this expensive was thru camping world so it isn't only campfires that cause probl.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #443
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Wow, I'm out of breath just reading that.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #444
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Only when the smoke is entering my beloved Airstream...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #445
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyranger View Post
Wow! Inconsiderate campfire operation morphs into motor home owner bashing! Except that there is NO correlation between the two. 😇

Roy
That's how you know the subject has been beaten to death.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #446
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
No. I don't hate campfires. I love them. The very first camping trip I ever took as a kid involved campfires for cooking, warmth and camaraderie. That smell evokes nothing but amazing, endorphin-generating memories that bring me right back there. Same with anyone smoking a pipe with Captain Black tobacco in it or even a cigar. Cigarettes make me ill (and I used to smoke 3 packs a day 20 years ago...).

I actually want that smell of the campfire in my clothes and the trailer. It just seems right to me. I've found that using cheaters like duraflame fire starters along with the driest wood the campground will sell reduces smoke quite a bit.

I realize everyone's mileage will vary. We had to put up with some fairly loud folks at a campsite recently - that was more obnoxious to me than the smokey fire of my neighbor.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #447
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
What is fair? Big motorhome must run generator to power Airstream AC unit in exchange for an evening sans fire. Sounds fair to me.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #448
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Nothing's fair. That's life. Live riveting :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #449
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyranger View Post
Wow! Inconsiderate campfire operation morphs into motor home owner bashing! Except that there is NO correlation between the two. dde07

My observation around SoCal is that wood campfires are, more often than not, prohibited so its a non-issue 'round here.

Roy
Sure there is. You ever burn one of those SOBs? They REALLY put out a stink.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #450
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
Sure there is. You ever burn one of those SOBs? They REALLY put out a stink.
Especially the fiberglass ones.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #451
1 Rivet Member

Alpine , California
Well played sirs. Point conceded!

Roy
HighwayRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #452
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
No, I don't hate camp fires.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #453

1994 30' Excella
Theodore , Alabama
Taming the smoke

I love fires, particularly bonfires, but a subtle blaze at a campground is wonderful in the winter. I detest smoke and have a true aversion to folks who don't properly tepee a campground fire and I also have asthma. My husband asked me to build the fires and we loved sitting around the blaze, being at peace with the mesmerizing flicker of orange, yellow, and purple. People often commented on the "nice fire" he built and he always nodded gracefully then gave me a wink. It takes an affinity for fire and an understanding of how things burn to get a nearly smokeless fire. Use dry cardboard, torn in shreds, tepee'd with kindling then layer the tepee with smaller pieces of wood and around again, always in a tepee shape, with larger pieces of wood. You can use dryer lint with candle wax rolled in a tube as an accelerant, but nothing more, and if your wood is dry enough, you don't need that either. Once you have good, hot coals, you only need to throw on a few pieces of wood at a time.

If you do it right, you'll have a little smoke for about 3 minutes. If you're having trouble, ask someone with a nice fire to help you...we don't mind showing off.
barbnbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #454
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
This will be such a debby downer to add to this if it has not been said already....I have not read through all the posts in this thread....but the sad reality is that burning wood has its health issues, take a read:

The Fireplace Delusion: A Metaphor for Religious Belief - The Daily Beast

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #455

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
This will be such a debby downer to add to this if it has not been said already....I have not read through all the posts in this thread....but the sad reality is that burning wood has its health issues
So, even breathing clean air will eventually kill you. In fact, I guarantee that everyone who draws a breath today will die. Someday.

In the immortal words of Voltaire, there are some vices it's worth shortening your life for. If a campfire (or a fireplace) gives you pleasure, then every hour in front of a campfire is certainly worth giving up a miserable hour later that you would have spent breathing disinfectant-laden hospital air.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #456
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To be clear, I am a fan of campfires.....as any toxin, "toxicity" tends to be a dose dependent thing....

Regular use of wood fireplaces in homes and heavily in neighborhoods though will increase the likelihood to increase "time spent breathing disinfectant-laden hospital air"....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #457

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Regular use of wood fireplaces in homes and heavily in neighborhoods though will increase the likelihood to increase "time spent breathing disinfectant-laden hospital air"....
I guess I made my point poorly. Perhaps an example… I used to have a neighbor in my previous apartment complex, who was diagnosed with an inoperable cancer and told she had less than a year to live. She elected to forego chemotherapy in favor of spending however many days she had left enjoying life. Five months later, she was dead, but she died surrounded by friends and family, at home, after enjoying herself immensely. She felt it was better to live five good months than a dozen miserable ones.

So, if having a campfire one day shortens your life by an extra day, you can either choose not to have the campfire and live the extra day, or enjoy the campfire and not worry about how many days your have left— if campfires are one of the vices worth shortening your life for.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #458
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Ahhhh, thank God for the ignore list! What a great tool.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #459
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Protagonist & barbnbama-- Thank you for your wise posts.

There is an art to building a good campfire. Unfortunately some asthmatics & sensitive breathers have little control over the non-savvy pyromaniacs in the next site, other than to complain and hope they tone it down or put it out.

There is no reason to breathe foul air from your own campfire-- unless somehow you can't sit up-wind from it, or are downwind to discourage mosquitoes.

We just had a great campfire experience overlooking L. Koocanusa in southeastern BC. There is a lot of driftwood, free for the collecting, and it burns really well. That lemon-marinated shrimp and asparagus in the hinged grill over those driftwood coals really went down well.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #460
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
That lemon-marinated shrimp and asparagus in the hinged grill over those driftwood coals really went down well.

That sounds fantastic.. Wish I was camping this wknd..

Edit.. I'd have a campfire..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote