Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
With ongoing droughts and fire bans, a campfire may become a thing of the past.

Gene

Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Last summer most of the parks that I camped at had open fire bans. Exception was gas fire pits such as the Fire Dancer, etc. were allowed. That is one of the reasons that I bought mine. Great purchase.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #283
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
With all the aluminum and SOBs out there, the campfire is the only thing left of true camping. The stove in the last ? campers i have had have NOT been used. I cook over a SMALL open fire or a propane stove when there is a fire ban. I do my best NOT to infringe on the rights of others and I expect them to do the same.
There should also be a noise BAN, let those that want to sit inside and watch TV do so WITHOUT the AC and or their diesel engine and generator running.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #284
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
He was unwilling to move his fire pit before lighting. The campground owner was unwilling to ask him to move his fire pit. So we moved our rig to get away from him.

It seems more common these days for people to burn very green wood, treated lumber, and garbage. I would prefer to be in a campground without camp fires.
I spent over 50 years camping in Montana ... starting in Boy Scouts and ending as a youth group leader. Scouts are taught to make a fire only as large as necessary to accomplish the task at hand ... larger campfires are also extinguished when the group adjourns and not left to smolder into the morning.Young folks like to have fires to toast marshmallows; however, it seems that the older generation utilizes the fires not only for socialization but also for "happy" hours.

We bought our AS for some of the creature comforts. Enjoy your fires, but please don't infringe on our rights to enjoy the clean air... that is why we are out camping in a non-roughing it TT.

...Same experience here ... we have moved our AS ... even left and forfeited our fees ... to avoid the inconsideration of others ... has no one else experienced asthma brought on by the wind "sharing" their smoke and embers!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #285
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Has anyone realized this is a first world problem? I mean really. Your complaining about campfires while your CAMPING. Hello....
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #286
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Just had a thought. Yes I know it's rare. The complaints listed gives more reason that you should join and camp with your local WBCCI club. We all go to bed at 8 or 9 at night and we don't play load music. We are anything but rude and inconsiderate. We also go out of our way not to impinge on your right to anything. Enjoy your travels.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #287
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
Has anyone realized this is a first world problem? I mean really. Your complaining about campfires while your CAMPING. Hello....
NO, realize that I am NOT complaining about campfires - RATHER about other folks campfires that get out of hand! It seems that is now the way of the new world of campers ... rather than moderation in all things; it often comes out as inconsideration. I had a job for a number of years where I had to intercede on the behalf of those whose rights were trampled by others ... sad commentary. See the red number below... that does not assure adherence to any particular standard set by someone else.

Rum, we do appreciate your personal camping philosophy; unfortunately it has not been born out in our experiences around here. YMMV

I thought that I was clear that when we are bothered to the point where inhalers are ineffective and we are gasping for air, we move on and leave the fires to the folks who are intransigent... as well as the fees that we have paid. Here in Montana folks really do value fresh air.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #288
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Probably the solution in large campgrounds with multiple loops is to segregate out a "no campfire" loop for asthmatics and others who simply don't want them. This is already happening in larger National Parks, with "no generator" loops and segregated tent and RV loops. Lake Louise does have tent/campfire separate from RV/no campfire loops.

But Rumship-- going to bed at 8 or 9 pm??? I couldn't possibly fall asleep so early. We did watch nearly the entire 3 seasons of Downton Abby on DVD at night during our recent 6-week desert sojourn, but even this seems a little repressed.

The National Parks prohibit firewood gathering, so you have to think about picking some up at the supermarket. Due to bark beetle worries, it's not a good idea to bring it from home. We paid $10 per bundle for some nearly non-flammable firewood at Furnace Creek in Death Valley.

Astrocaver, we would love for you to camp near us. A good star party would be a fun and smoke-free way to stay up past 9:00.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #289
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post

But Rumship-- going to bed at 8 or 9 pm??? I couldn't possibly fall asleep so early. We did watch nearly the entire 3 seasons of Downton Abby on DVD at night during our recent 6-week desert sojourn, but even this seems a little repressed.

Well 95% of my group goes to bed. I ether stay out by myself or with the occasional night owl, or I watch tv in my rig.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #290
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Why have the moderators not put this to bed.

If you don't like pepperoni on your pizza - then don't order a pepperoni pizza.

If you don't like camp fires - then don't camp where they allow fires.

If you don't like generators - then don't camp where they allow generators.

If you don't like barking dogs - then don't camp where they allow barking dogs.

If you don't like loud neighbors that stay up late - then don't camp where they allow loud neighbors to stay up late.

Should I keep going?

The camper that offends you is no more infringing on your rights than you are his. Your right to not have to breath his smoke infinges on his right to have the fire -they smoke. Your right to run your generator or a/c infringes on his right to not have to listen to it. When it gets to the point that you are too offended you can leave. If you find yourself leaving often enough then maybe you should stay home.

I like to enjoy myself but I have never felt that I should be able to deny a fellow camper the same enjoyment.

“Religion is like a pair of shoes.....Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes.”
-George Carlin
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #291
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Kinda makes sense to me.

Dave

"I like to enjoy myself but I have never felt that I should be able to deny a fellow camper the same enjoyment. "
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #292
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
Why have the moderators not put this to bed.
Alternatively, if you don't like getting a broad range of views from your fellow Airstreamers then don't read the forums.

I'm quite happy to see what other people's views are on this subject as it hadn't occurred to me that the ubiquitous camp fire was going to cause some people problems.

The thread will die out of its own accord when people get tired of it.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #293
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
The camper that offends you is no more infringing on your rights than you are his.

I like to enjoy myself but I have never felt that I should be able to deny a fellow camper the same enjoyment.
I personally find enjoyment in having a sense of the absurd, being able to poke fun at life's annoyances. The ability to complain good-naturedly— as opposed to merely bitching— should be nurtured, and that's one of the benefits of threads like this one.

As long as they don't endanger my life or property, I'll never ask anyone to put out their campfire. But I reserve the right to be annoyed in private, and to make my annoyance a topic of future conversation so that my friends can poke fun at me for getting annoyed over something so trivail in the first place.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
"Does anyone else HATE campfires?" There is too much hate in this world, couldn't we change that to DISLIKE campfires? Also whose rights are we infringing on? Do I not have the right to have a campfire; and you also have the right to DISLIKE to one? Who wins?
I also grew up a Boy Scout and enjoyed camping and the fire. We used it for cooking, warmth and fellowship. We camped in tents. Maybe those that "boondock" have something going, not alot of others to complain about their rights. Campgrounds are getting to be alike "the projects" in some cities. People/campers do not have the space to enjoy themselves and the mighty $ rules, "the more the merrier" is no longer true.
Sorry for the soap box.
mike
Oh, I have RED, BLUE AND GREEN numbers on my AS