Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #267
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollster View Post
Funny, but in all the years I've been camping, I've never been bothered by anyone's campfire except once, when the wind changed direction, smoke from my own fire blew into my camper and set off the smoke alarm, which of course, took a few minutes to silence in our panic and embarrassment! But really, sitting around a small, well-burning fire under the stars with good friends, good conversation, and some strawberry marshmallows is one of the great pleasures of the camping experience.
Rollster,

I am with you. I have never really been bothered by other's campfires -- maybe the loud talking going on into the early morning, but the noise was probably not fueled by wood

There is an awful lot of wining going on in this thread -- including the notion of a "no fire" area. Camp fires are the staple of camping.

I have said it before -- if the camp fires bother you, perhaps you should limit your "camping" to WalMart Parking lots.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #268
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
I enjoy a good fire and have one nearly every night for cooking and camaraderie. Just large enough to crackle seems about right to me.

Most of the CoE and state park campgrounds I frequent have a designated fire ring or pit. In the spring and fall months, I would say about 60-70% have fires.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #269
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I love a good campfire. I'd put barking dogs, loud diesel engines, and generators ahead of campfires, by a wide margin. But then again, we try to find sites where we are very far apart from other campsites.
I guess if I ever broke down, and stayed in one of the commercial parking lot campgrounds I see from the highway, I'd be inside the trailer. I think I would be a bit disturbed if someone in one of the parking lot CGs built a fire 10' from my trailer. I'd have to move..
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #270
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
When we camp with a group in the cool or warm weather the fire is nice. We decided to go with the small gas fire pit sold at Camping World. Easy to light, easy to travel, easy to cook over like a Dutch oven, marshmallows. Also they very clean no fumes etc.. I am sure all of this has probably been mentioned before on this thread but why not!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #271
Airstream Voyeur

Currently Looking...
Northern California , California
Campfire in a Can is a fantastic brand of portable propane fire pit. Been using it for years. Love being able to have a campfire even when there is a "no wood fire" ban in place. I've only been told to turn it off one time and the ranger could only tell me it was "manager's rules". Jackwagon!

Roy
Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #272
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
History is always good to review in disputes such as this.

"The happiness of the domestic fireside is the first boon of Heaven: and it is well it is so, since it is that which is the lot of the mass of mankind."
Thomas Jefferson, 1813

Maybe the campgrounds should be divided into, smoking/non smoking, fires/no fires, gensets/no gensets, children/no children, pet/ no pets/ real people/ those that should have stayed home.

Dave
Hi Dave-- increasingly we are finding this to be the case. We just took a 6-week trip into some Southwest desert parks, and found that Death Valley NP has a no-generator rule for their Texas Creek CG. No generators seem to be the rule for the NPS tents-only CGs. Not sure why someone would want a gennie for a tent, but I suspect some van or truck campers in these CGs actually sleep in their vehicles. Glacier NP (Apgar CG) has a no-generator tent/RV loop. And these are all for sites with no hook-ups.

We camped last year at Lake Louise and the choice was tent/campfire or RV/no campfire loops.

Maybe we could write to our legislators and see if the park systems can work on the True Camper vs. people-who-should-have-stayed- home problem.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #273
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Maybe we could write to our legislators and see if the park systems can work on the True Camper vs. people-who-should-have-stayed- home problem.
That should be easy; for true campers, have "no satellite dish" loops. That's pretty much where I draw the line. I can't imagine going someplace scenic, and then staying inside to watch television. Unless of course it's raining too heavily, in which case wouldn't they lose satellite reception anyway?

That became my benchmark for "shoulda stayed home" after camping at Lake Bruin State Park, Louisiana, when the guy in the Class A in the next campsite over set up his satellite dish six inches from the front bumper of my Interstate, claiming that was the only spot that gave him good reception.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #274
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The solution for the 'big white box' motorhomes with the entertainment center in the basement storage bay, is to put the fire-pit video on the 56" HDTV and then you don't have to worry about 'collateral damage'.

You can even download it to your 'Digital Downloads, DVD's and iPhone/iPad App.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...D1zoI7NYo#t=1s

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #275
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
The solution for the 'big white box' motorhomes with the entertainment center in the basement storage bay, is to put the fire-pit video on the 56" HDTV and then you don't have to worry about 'collateral damage'.
Why did I suddenly get a mental image of of big-white-box denizens trying to toast marshmallows on their HDTV firepits?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The ultimate campfire is a burning RV. Those SOB's burn to the ground in minutes.

I love a fire, but the effects of particulate pollution and smoke are nasty. It is hard to reconcile this.

I can't remember when we made a fire since we bought the Airstream—just another thing to carry along and I don't think we ever have done that. I think we are fairly typical because though I see some campfires when we are at campgrounds, they are few and far between. When we used to backpack, we often built a fire to keep warm in the evening, provide some light and because it was part of camping. The wood was there to be found because we sure weren't going to carry it there.

With a trailer, we have heat and light, so a campfire doesn't seem necessary even if they are cool to look at. It's a trade off with some regrets, but the big regret is being unable to walk through the wilderness rather than have a fire.

Gene
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #277
astrocaver

1986 25' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
Astronomers hate campfires. I always have a couple telescopes with me when we travel. Fires and other bright lights, ie.porch lights left on all night for no reason, are incompatable with viewing the night sky. We know we are not compatable with normal campers who love their campfires and Coleman lanterns. Did I mention I hate bright lanterns. We love to share the night skies with fellow campers if conditions allow. At astronomy events (star parties) no fires or white lights of any kind are allowed. It takes over a half hour for your eyes to become dark adapted. If someone turns on a bright light you have to start all over.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #278
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I don't hate campfires, I like them, especially with a friendly group and a pitcher of margaritas in the evening. There's just something primal about a campfire. Brings out the story telling. Most of my camping is in the Sierra Nevada's during summer, forest service campgrounds. Most time you are 80 to 200 feet from your neighbor. I don't like fires in the morning though for some reason. Never camped at a squished in private park, probably wouldn't like a fire there. When travelling and at a one night stopover, will usually forgo a fire.

I don't like listening to generators under any conditions, don't like car alarms, and don't like loud drunks late at night.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #279
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Wow....
Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #280
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
I find it rather interesting that a thread that is nearly four years old, and has lain dormant for almost two years has "sparked" back to life... just like most campfires.