Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #341
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-972268197.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	182760

Enjoying a good campfire at south carlsbade state beach as I type. Where are you? Enjoy.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #342
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
Attachment 182760

Enjoying a good campfire at south carlsbade state beach as I type. Where are you? Enjoy.

I, sir, am in a state of envy
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #343
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Fly at Night, you have struck the match squarely on the head. How could a campfire hater ever be confused with a book burner or a rioter, (I'm talking the "burn baby burn" rioter ilk)???
I gathered that, Ponz. I live on the outskirts of Vancouver Canuckland. The city is torched everytime the Canucks lose the Stanley Cup.

Don't worry about the oversight. I routinely "juxtapose" myself with the V-8!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #344
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ponz View Post
are you listening to yourself speak? Mandatory... really?

I know I edited the above quote, and it may be slightly out of context, however, not that much out of context.
Yep. Got carried away with that one, didn't I? Still, apologizing for a remark is just a way to mitigate the offense caused by the remark. It does not obligate the apologist to change his or her viewpoint one iota.

I personally have a few opinions that I would have to apologize for if I made them public, because the people they're about would be offended. Most of the time I manage to keep those opinions to myself, but when I fail to do so, I apologize for giving offense, and try harder to keep them to myself in the future.

And now, back to whether campfires are good for you…

I know several people who genuinely believe that a good smoky campfire serves as insect repellent. I never have seen evidence of that, myself— ants still come to the picnic whether there's a fire or not.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #345
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Most of the time I manage to keep those opinions to myself, but when I fail to do so, I apologize for giving offense, and try harder to keep them to myself in the future.
Apology accepted (just kidding)

Quote:
... ants still come to the picnic whether there's a fire or not.
Maybe so, but when the grass at the fringe of the fire is burning the ants, the more sadistic among us are entertained.

Which brings me to the subject of my active participation in this thread. I would like to thank "all y'all", (which is the plural form of y'all), for providing this thread and the pleasurable entertainment it has brought me the past few days. You see, with my NCAA bracket all shot to heck, I was feeling rather insignificant.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #346
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ponz View Post
Now I am forced to correct myself. I actually said that I don't like "people" who talk like valley girls.

Which brings me to:

Now, having never met Gene, I'm going to assume that he is a he, and not a she, which is rather immaterial, because the only category one must fit into is "people." So, I'm sure he/she is a super nice guy, but so, like, it really, like doesn't matter if he is a he or a she, I like really, like, don't like his "Whatever" speech.

((that last sentence sounded so Dr Seuss like))
Ponz,

We are now called hupersons since human is prohibited. Like, glad you like my one word speech, or is it like, you don't? We agree on Valley Girl Dialect (VGD*) and the substitution of "z" for "s".

"Whatever!" can be pronounced several ways including in VGD and has several shades of meaning. The first person I heard use that word with a more contemporary meaning was an college English professor and linguistics grad student in 1969. She was not from any Valley, but from Kansas, though when I met her she was not in Kansas anymore. Since then, the word acquired a VGD with the rise (voices gets higher at end of word or sentence as in a question). For more understanding of the source of VGD "Whatever!", watch Saturday Night Live and how they do "The Californians".

As to whether I am a he or she, I may answer when I find out if you are the ghost of Lilly Pons.

Gene

*VGD sounds like a disease, perhaps a very personal one—does this mean the VG Dialect is a disease? A question for cosmic answers.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #347
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I live on the outskirts of Vancouver Canuckland. The city is torched everytime the Canucks lose the Stanley Cup.
By this time there should be no city left. That's sad, because the one time we were in Vancouver it looked like a nice place to live. When Denver loses some championship, usually the locals just trash one block called Larimer Square*. But we all know Canadians are very violent and are poised to invade the US. We need 100' high fences to protect us from the Canadian hordes and their universal health care!

This thread has finally gotten interesting.

Gene

*How can one block be called a "Square" when it is a street, or rectangle? I can't answer that.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #348
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
I know several people who genuinely believe that a good smoky campfire serves as insect repellent. I never have seen evidence of that, myself— ants still come to the picnic whether there's a fire or not.
This is actually true for mosquitoes. gnats, and black flies, but you pretty much have to sit in the smoke to make it work.

Anyway, if you see one of the Bambi "little guys" from BC on your next camping trip, stop by and say hello. If the weather is good after 4:00 we are often outside chillin' and grillin', or making something tasty in the cast iron Dutch oven over the real wood coals. No trouble at all to put on some extra plates around the picnic table.

In the Southwest, the wood will probably be pinyon pine or juniper. Which really does smell good. Heck, some people burn incense flavoured with this stuff.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #349
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
and the beat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Ponz,

As to whether I am a he or she, I may answer when I find out if you are the ghost of Lilly Pons.

Gene
Odd you should mention Lily Pons (only one "l" in Lily). I actually know who she was. I happen to like a bit of opera singing. You see, all my taste is in my mouth.

Ms Pons could still belt out the oldies, (I'm talking real oldies, written by those old dead Russians in the 16th century), when she was in her seventies, before she died in the seventies, but alas, I am not her ghost... nor anyone's ghost for that matter. I believe there may be a town named after her in Maryland somewhere. Now if there are any good bars in Lilypons, MD, I might be interested in haunting around there a day or two.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #350
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
Gene, Cosmic enough for you?

Quote:
*VGD sounds like a disease, perhaps a very personal one—does this mean the VG Dialect is a disease? A question for cosmic answers.
If you stroke that V in VGD, you can make it into an M (|+V+|=|V|=M; savvy?)
which now becomes MGD, which is one of my favorite liquid refreshments while enjoying an evening campfire.

Quote:

*How can one block be called a "Square" when it is a street, or rectangle? I can't answer that.
Gene, you are way over-thinking this. A square can be called a square, because it is a square. It is not a street, or a rectangle. It is a square. Who's calling blocks squares, anyway? Do people live on squares? No, the live on a a block. Pigeons live on the squares. (and circles are always circles!)

- Trafalgar Square
- Leicester Square
- Parliament Square
- Mallory Square, (Key West; one of my favorite squares)
- Tiananmen Square
- St. Peter's Square

And now, in an effort to keep this post on point, and in keeping with the subject matter of the thread:

- Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt is the square where you want to be if you enjoy campfires, and smoke, and tear gas, and being pelted with rocks. I guess there are some people in Egypt who radically object to campfires.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #351
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
A square can be called a square, because he or she does not join the campfire crowd. And we always talk about how is not there???

Dave

[QUOTE=the ponz;1283405]
A square can be called a square, because - QUOTE]
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #352
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ponz,

Larimer Square is not square, it is a street. It has lots of bars, or did. I haven't been there is a very long time. As a matter of fact, Mallory Square is not square, but it is big. It is one of my favorites too. I think this is very misleading and I may have to sue both so called "squares" for fraud, misrepresentation and outrageous conduct.

While this may be slightly off topic, I feel the question of misnamed places called "squares" is an issue far more important than campfires. The next issue to explore is sophomoric humor by old men in their dotage.

Gene

Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #353
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
I love campfires. Camping is not camping without a fire, unless it's 100 degrees. Man has enjoyed the phenomenon of fire since the beginning.

Just my opinion.
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #354
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
While this may be slightly off topic, I feel the question of misnamed places called "squares" is an issue far more important than campfires.
The New Orleans Vieux Carré ("Old Square") isn't square, either, but at least it's sort-of rectangular (one side's curved because of the Mississippi River) and not just a single street. However, Jackson Square— inside the Vieux Carré— actually is square, and covers four city blocks.

The Vieux Carré burned down in 1788 and again in 1794, but it wasn't campfires that caused the two "Great New Orleans Fires" (there, actually managed to mention campfires…)
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #355
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This was taken yesterday morning. The fire was very warm and welcoming to us. We did not expect the white stuff on the ground when we woke up...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130410_141030.png
Views:	180
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	182935

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #356
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Just curious I wonder how many of those that do not like campfires generally travel more than 150 miles (one way) from home and are away more than a few days per trip. On the other hand I wonder how many of those that enjoy a good camp fire generally travel less than 150 miles (one way) from home and are away just a few days per trip. Maybe someone more technically inclined than I could start a poll.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #357
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Now let's just all have some smores.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #358
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Now let's just all have some smores.
Yes! And tell ghost stories and sing "Kumbaya."
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #359
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
This was taken yesterday morning. The fire was very warm and welcoming to us. We did not expect the white stuff on the ground when we woke up...

Attachment 182935
Fire looks great! (Not much smoke! Good job.)
We camped last Fri & Sat.. Had fires both nights. I'd much rather be out by the fire than sitting in a trailer..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #360
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I keep wanting to "like" some of the comments. Especially about smores! I love a good campfire in the right circumstance. I find it comforting and really looking forward to enjoying some campfire time once we get the AS back from its remodeling project and actually start to use it. I love the smell of wood smoke, though not so enamored of smoke in my eyes that I can't get away from. I can see the problem with being in a tightly packed RV park. Too much of a good thing. (like loud music, generators and kids running around screaming) Hopefully we won't find ourselves in those crowded RV parks very often I'm more for the middle of nowhere traveling.
I have read about a few beach RV campgrounds that limit the fires to the beach, seems reasonable.
MaryC is offline   Reply With Quote