Old 09-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree with stonyfork and wts (Ken) about courtesy for your neighbors and where fires are appropriate.

When we backpacked, a fire was necessary for warmth in the mountains, to cook, and for the pleasure of watching the fire. In a crowded campground, a smoky fire is not appropriate. In a not so crowded campground, or a forest service campground with widely spaced sites, it might be ok or not.

I like fires. Staring into them is wonderful. I agree camping may not seem like camping without one for many people. There is a big difference between camping with an Airstream and backpacking into the wilderness, but the desire for a fire transcends that for many people. But it doesn't work in crowded areas.

The smoke may be annoying for some, but it is a health hazard for others—the particulates are bad for everyone (children being especially sensitive), and dangerous for people with asthma and older people with lung problems.

Gene

Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We stayed part of one vacation at Yellowstone's Edge outside of Yellowstone Nat'l Park during a time of forest fire there. The campground provided a central campfire for everyone staying at their campground, a friendly community circle where people who were once strangers became friends. Laughs, tall tales, pitching on of another log...just like when you have your own solitary camp fire, but this was larger and more inclusive. We loved it, respected the owners' consideration for their surroundings by limiting fires, and still enjoy sharing the memory. Just another way of doing the same old wonderful thing...~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
macandgeorgia, that sounds like a great solution that may please almost everyone.

Gene
Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
That sounds like a great idea... where was this park?
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #145
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I've had too many good times around a campfire starting as a kid to complain about them much. Its almost burned into my brain as a mellow and wonderful experience. I still love the experience.

That said one of my last trips I was parked next to a smoky fire and the trailer took weeks to air the smell out.

My pet peeve, more so than other RV'ers evidently, is generator exhaust smell. I find no reason in this age of modern engine controls, why I can't purchase a generator with little or no CO output and exhaust odor.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My happiest trailer camping memories are of the campfires on the beach on Lake Huron. Dad and mom took my brother and I there when we were boys in the early to mid forties. The trailer park was along the beach (Glorita near Lexington, Mich.) but our camp fires were always on the beach. What was really neat was the first fellow campground folks to begin the evening fire would invite all those coming down to the beach. If you decided to join in you were 'expected' to collect some firewood (driftwood). Sometimes there were a number of families around the fires and so the fires became bonfires. What fun. I don't recall any problems with the large fires. I bet that's not allowed any more. Another 'Good Old Days' memory.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #147
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
My happiest trailer camping memories are of the campfires on the beach on Lake Huron. Dad and mom took my brother and I there when we were boys in the early to mid forties. The trailer park was along the beach (Glorita near Lexington, Mich.) but our camp fires were always on the beach. What was really neat was the first fellow campground folks to begin the evening fire would invite all those coming down to the beach. If you decided to join in you were 'expected' to collect some firewood (driftwood). Sometimes there were a number of families around the fires and so the fires became bonfires. What fun. I don't recall any problems with the large fires. I bet that's not allowed any more. Another 'Good Old Days' memory.
Neil
Hi Neil,

I think, if you are pro campfire, you will have to change your user name.

regards,

Ken
Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #148
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Hi Neil,

I think, if you are pro campfire, you will have to change your user name.

regards,

Ken

Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #149
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Just buy Dry Wood.

Very little smoke.

Problem solved.

I LOVE camp fires.!!

Something primitive about them.

Will ALWAYS have one. Unless it's too hot outside.

If there is a fire ring and it's permitted, I'll have a roaring baby!!!

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #150
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Also Valrico, Fl
Camp fires

A good fire has minmimal smoke if properly arranged. Camping without a fire, in colder weather would not be camping. Some folks can't create a good mess. Keep the fires burning, put the smokeys ones out....
Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #151
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Love 'em. One of the many things that make the experience so great. I think it is strange to see folks pull up in their campers (whatever brand), crank up antenna's, turn on the ac and never come outside. Why leave home?
Sitting by the fire is part of the experience.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hate 'Em ( If They Are Too Close)

I haven't read all 150 posts on this thread,
So perhaps this has been said.
Seems strange that the same folks who hate the slightest, second-hand cigarette fume
think nothing of building a smoky fire next to my A/S bed room.

To me one of the many pleasures of Airstreaming is getting out to scenic, remote places where you can open up all the windows and enjoy the evening breeze. When we have a campfire, we place it well away from the Airstreams.

The propane campfires are great.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'd never really thought about the negative impact of camp fires until this last weekend when we stayed at our first KOA in London, Ontario. The sites were quite close together and with a lot of our neighbours lighting up we became acutely aware of the pall of smoke and the smell; the weather didn't help, either, with little wind. Luckily we have no health issues so it was just a slight nuisance, but I'll be a bit more thoughtful of my neighbours next time we decide to have a camp fire. Mind you, with the Campground store selling firewood at $8 a bag, I'm surprised anyone could afford a fire (unless they all flouted the Provincial firewood movement regulations, and no one would do that, would they?) :~o

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #154
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
To some, it just doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I'd never really thought about the negative impact of camp fires until this last weekend when we stayed at our first KOA in London, Ontario. The sites were quite close together and with a lot of our neighbours lighting up we became acutely aware of the pall of smoke and the smell; the weather didn't help, either, with little wind. Luckily we have no health issues so it was just a slight nuisance, but I'll be a bit more thoughtful of my neighbours next time we decide to have a camp fire. Mind you, with the Campground store selling firewood at $8 a bag, I'm surprised anyone could afford a fire (unless they all flouted the Provincial firewood movement regulations, and no one would do that, would they?) :~o
Just keep in mind that by voicing your opposition to what is apparently not only an American right but also a Canadian right to totally annoy your neighbors, if it furthers your own camping experience, you are in no way going to cause said egocentric folks to feel even the least bit uncomfortable.

Ken