Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Question Do You Remember

I remember when State and Federal parks were free to roam and campsites were $7 a night.

Now Assateague Island Maryland charges $46 with a macadam pad, no electric, no water, no, you get the point.

I stopped at Cape Henlopen in Delaware for a bike ride and a picnic and had to pay $8 just to get in.

Any fond fleeting memories of camping days of yore?
(I know gas was $.32 a gallon back then too, I think I'm old.)
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
One advatage to being a 'senior' is half price fees at govt. campgrounds and FREE at National Parks. Oh, when I began driving gas was 19 cents and that was for Ethyl. You are 'old' if you remember Ethyl......especially if she was your first one.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Since this is Labor Day weekend, this thread reminds me of our anual Labor Day camping trip to Madison S. Dakota. That would have been in the late 1950's and I was in grade school. I believe it was a state park, you picked out a tree and set your tent up under it. No fees, no rangers, no check in or out, not many campers. I was designated waterboy and I had to pump it as well as cary it. Still many great memories of those days that began my life long enjoyment of camping.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
I found this old permit in the safari and framed it. Amt. Pd. for the site in 1973 $2.50
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	permit 001.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	110074  
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
$2.50 for a camp site

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro View Post
I found this old permit in the safari and framed it. Amt. Pd. for the site in 1973 $2.50
Wonder what that cost today if the campground still exists?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
One advatage to being a 'senior' is half price fees at govt. campgrounds and FREE at National Parks. Oh, when I began driving gas was 19 cents and that was for Ethyl. You are 'old' if you remember Ethyl......especially if she was your first one.
Ya know what,,,,, I have a feeling you lived through the best generation yet and to ever be. I feel so very lucky to have been part of it.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
(I know gas was $.32 a gallon back then too, I think I'm old.)
My owners manual for my 71 has instructions for digging a cat hole for black water.

I remember back country ranger stations in the Adirondacks and trash dumps at campsites. Both long gone.

Does that make me older?
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I am just a youngen. I remember gas at .53 cents per gallon. If I remember correctly that was in the early 70,s I was in my teens then...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
The good old days before the government ran out of other people's money.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I can recall when an Imperial gallon of gasoline was 32˘ Canadian. That was in the mid-'50s.

It is also my feeling that costs of many things were about 1/10 of what they are now.

If that's true, arcamedies, your $46 to park at Assateague Island Maryland was a good deal!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
In 1958 I worked at a Shell station. Gas was 27.9 and 31.9. I got paid $1.50 per hour.

Here is a menu from Bob's Big Boy on Van Nuys Blvd, from about that same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9285754.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	110094  
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Parks have to be paid for either by fees or taxes, or both. The choice in recent decades is fees and little in the way of taxes. That is true of others things too, such as higher education at state schools, and in some places, toll roads. I would not be surprised if the public libraries will go that route too.

Federal campgrounds are being contracted to concessionaires who make some improvements, collect profit, and jack up the fees substantially. At a campground in Colorado we stayed at, the senior pass cut the camping fee in half, but the charge for electricity was not halved. Strange. The senior pass sometimes gets a discount, sometimes doesn't and I can't figure out how it is determined. There are national forests where you have to pay to enter, but it seems very difficult to figure out which ones and whether the senior pass can be used. I asked the feds for a list of ones, but just got a non-answer including to ask at a ranger station (they are often closed) or the headquarters, even though I may be planning a trip from a thousand miles away. Until the early '80's, national forest maps were free, then they started charging for them and the fee keeps going up. And in western Colorado a lot of federal campgrounds seem to have been closed to save money.

State parks are being closed in some states, notably Arizona, or made so expensive, we avoid them. I see reports on the Forum of Cal. CG's costing more than $40. Sometimes there's a separate fee for everything—in Colorado, showers are extra, for example.

I always thought some things, like libraries and parks, are too important to not be free (i.e., paid through taxes), but apparently I'm losing that battle.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I agree with Gene. Being full timers, we see all sorts of different rates for campgrounds, from cheap to out of site. I don't mind a KOA or such when we need laundry, showers, wi-fi and such, but paying over 25 bucks a night for a crummy site with MAYBE power is pushing it. No wonder the Parks are claiming financial problems; no one goes there anymore. Or the ones that do stay (we've been camp hosts) leave early in the morning.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Fond Mmemories of youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
In 1958 I worked at a Shell station. Gas was 27.9 and 31.9. I got paid $1.50 per hour.

Here is a menu from Bob's Big Boy on Van Nuys Blvd, from about that same time.
EGADs I remember the melted cheese and fries for $.30 I was a young tyke then
Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
No wonder the Parks are claiming financial problems; no one goes there anymore.
I don't know if that's true. Last year, the parks were doing very well because they were cheaper than private CG's and for the usual reasons—nice destinations. This year it appears fees have gone up, perhaps a lot. Because some states have closed a lot of parks, some business will go to other parks and some to private CG's. I Googled 2010 state and national park attendance for this year and there were some reports of increased attendance, but there wasn't much information.

When we were at one of the CG's on Grand Mesa a couple of weeks ago, the fees were $20 for a site plus $4 for electricity. We paid half price for the site since I have a senior pass, so our price was $14/night. Add in $9 for the reservation. On the weekend, the place was full, pretty close on a weekday. Years ago—1970's—the site would have been $6 and no electricity. The site would have been less improved, but adequate. It may not have been as large for a 25' trailer and a full size pickup, but I had a tent and a Honda Civic then. I didn't have a senior pass (if I did, I'd be 100 now).

National Park admission fees are far, far higher than they were 20 years ago. Even at parks with fees years ago, a lot of times no one collected them. Attendance in the several years before the Great Recession at national parks was down but was up last year. The increased fees seem to have cut attendance until last year, especially at the less popular parks. For example, Black Canyon NP now costs $15/vehicle. This is a one trick park and should have been left a national monument, but was promoted to attract more tourism to the area. We live 10 miles from the primitive North Rim and it's the same price as the more attractive South Rim (I've never seen anyone collecting it at the North Rim). The South Rim has a visitor center, more CG sites and a better view of the Canyon. If I didn't have a senior pass, I'd never go there.

One other thing, when you apply inflation adjustment to fees years ago, you may find there's little difference in price. So a $6 camping fee in 1975 would be more than $23 now. I have compared gas prices in the 1940's, 1960's and now, and, adjusted for inflation, there's little or no difference. So maybe it's a question of perception and not reality.

I do remember paying 80˘ to 95˘ for dinner at the Community Diner in Bethlehem, Pa., and then getting a 10% discount because I was a regular while in college around 1960. The indigestion was free.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Ya know what,,,,, I have a feeling you lived through the best generation yet and to ever be. I feel so very lucky to have been part of it.
Yes, it was a fun time to be around in. I remind the younger ones noe that "Today", will be your 'good old day' some time, so make it fun now.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
The Price of Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I can recall when an Imperial gallon of gasoline was 32˘ Canadian. That was in the mid-'50s.

It is also my feeling that costs of many things were about 1/10 of what they are now.

If that's true, arcamedies, your $46 to park at Assateague Island Maryland was a good deal!
I agree using a timeline price increase but when you pay $26.50 for a macadam pad, water, 50 amp electric at a campsite with a lake and beach in a beautiful area (Gifford Pinchot, PA), as an out of state camper to boot, $46 is steeeeeep for nothing but a pad. Assateague is usually pretty empty with a gazillion sites. I've stayed when I was the only rig in the loop on the ocean side, when does someone wake up? Silly me they didn't hear about the recession/depression.

But I'm really looking for fond memories, including today's.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Parks have to be paid for either by fees or taxes, or both. The choice in recent decades is fees and little in the way of taxes. That is true of others things too, such as higher education at state schools, and in some places, toll roads. I would not be surprised if the public libraries will go that route too.

Federal campgrounds are being contracted to concessionaires who make some improvements, collect profit, and jack up the fees substantially. At a campground in Colorado we stayed at, the senior pass cut the camping fee in half, but the charge for electricity was not halved. Strange. The senior pass sometimes gets a discount, sometimes doesn't and I can't figure out how it is determined. There are national forests where you have to pay to enter, but it seems very difficult to figure out which ones and whether the senior pass can be used. I asked the feds for a list of ones, but just got a non-answer including to ask at a ranger station (they are often closed) or the headquarters, even though I may be planning a trip from a thousand miles away. Until the early '80's, national forest maps were free, then they started charging for them and the fee keeps going up. And in western Colorado a lot of federal campgrounds seem to have been closed to save money.

State parks are being closed in some states, notably Arizona, or made so expensive, we avoid them. I see reports on the Forum of Cal. CG's costing more than $40. Sometimes there's a separate fee for everything—in Colorado, showers are extra, for example.

I always thought some things, like libraries and parks, are too important to not be free (i.e., paid through taxes), but apparently I'm losing that battle.

Gene
And that's why our taxes keep going down. Hey wait a minute.