Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Paula: I read your earlier post about the wreck. It made a big difference in my thinking. UUnfortunately, I couldn't execute the plan of leaving early and taking our time. Instead, I ended racing the clock, creeping exhaustion and the Puppy Clock (the dogs we left home). IIt was stupid because if we'd had a wreck we might never have made it home "on time" or "for the puppies.". The thing is, I had a contingency plan, but what actually happened was so much worse (time wise) than plan B that it just scrambled my thinking. I'll know better next time ... Maybe.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
New Haven , Connecticut
On our trip from Connecticut to Yellowstone last summer this is what we did. It worked well for our situation, but might not be everyone's cup of tea.

We left after work the first day just to knock a couple of hundred miles off the trip. We stayed in a Flying J truck stop that first night. We love the Flying Js because most of them have a parking area for overnight RVs. The one we ran into that did not was very accommodating and let us park overnight anyway.

From that point forward we always tried to be on the road between 7-8 am, travel 4-5 hours, then break for lunch and see or do something. We might go for a swim in a local lake, go fishing, ride our bikes, visit a historic site or museum, visit an amusement park, or something like that. Often times this allowed me to grab a nap, or read or surf the net, etc. It also allowed the two boys we have with us the opportunity to blow off a little steam.

Sometimes these midday fun breaks would last two hours, other times they might last 5 or 6 hours (like our two stops at Six Flags Chicago). Then it was back on the road for another 4-5 hours. We stayed at lots of Flying Js and Walmarts along the way.

An indispensible tool for those midday fun stops was an app called "Roadside America". Without it we would not have seen the SPAM museum, the cornfield where Buddy Holly's plane crashed or a 40 foot tall Jolly Green Giant! (That's really seeing the country!)

This summer we plan on making the trip from Connecticut to the Grand Canyon, with a swing through Memphis, New Orleans and Dallas. I wonder what Roadside America will find for us this summer? I can't wait to find out!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #31

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackP View Post
An indispensible tool for those midday fun stops was an app called "Roadside America". Without it we would not have seen the SPAM museum, the cornfield where Buddy Holly's plane crashed or a 40 foot tall Jolly Green Giant! (That's really seeing the country!)
You, Sir, are truly living the dream

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I wanted to take my crew to see the world's biggest ball of string, but they just don't seem to share my enthusiasm for roadside oddities
Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Don't get me started on traveling through Birmingham on a Saturday in the rain.

Perry

Birmingham and B'ham to/from Montgomery is one of my least favorite places to tow on the weekend in any weather.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I wanted to take my crew to see the world's biggest ball of string, but they just don't seem to share my enthusiasm for roadside oddities
I think I saw that years ago! Is that at Boys Town?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I guess I'm really the slow one. It's one tank of gas per day for me.

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
About 300 miles. I'm not retired yet (please God, someday? "Would it spoil some vast eternal plan?" :-) ) so I don't have the luxury of being extremely leisurely but at the same time, driving 80 and slip streaming isn't in the cards. For one thing, it's a 50' long combo weighing 7.5 tons. For another - it's CAMPING! :-)

Camping. Just saying it lowers my blood pressure! :-)

Smell the flowers, enjoy the sights, take your time - it's camping.....