Old 03-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
No, I don't have a rule for how many hours driving in a day, but my wife does...
5-6 hours is all she wants, but some destinations are 8-9 hours...

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I really try not to be TOO Preachy, but what speed are you driving at to GET 600 miles done in a single day?

Airstreams with the 15 inch wheels and Goodyear Marathons - tire blowout waiting to happen at sustained speeds over 55 mph. No trailer tires are rated for over 55 mph.

I rolled my previous Airstream going 65 mph on a 70 mph speed limit stretch of I 64...and I am SURE I'd have had more time to react at 55 mph. Might still have wrecked but the slower you go, the more recovery time you have. Even just blowing a tire at high speed can damage the aluminum surrounding the wheel well of your trailer. I hankered after an Eddie Bauer, but never wanted to get one "by accident".

I am now a geezer driver. I only drive over 55 mph when I fear getting killed if I go slower (I-95 in heavy traffic), but generally I avoid opt to avoid i-95 in the first place. I will not be rude and hold other people up because I'm putting along at 45 mph, and where it can be done safely I will pull off and let a line of faster vehicles pass. I'll also stay in the outside lane on four lane highways to allow faster people to pass safely. I'm not setting any land speed records, but then if I only make 350-400 miles per day, I still sleep in my own bed at night.

Also night driving - only in a full moon. (I used to have abnormally good night vision and it's still above average but too much stuff you can't see is out there in the dark.) In the north - it's MOOSE. I was at the mothership on a visit when an Airstream came in for emergency service. The tow vehicle hit a deer. The deer flew up on the hood of the truck, then over the roof and through the panoramic front window to bleed out on the untraleather couch of the Airstream. Erk!

Be safe out there People (Hill Street Blues)
Paula

Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I really try not to be TOO Preachy, but what speed are you driving at to GET 600 miles done in a single day?
In my case, I'm driving an Airstream Interstate, not towing a trailer, keeping within the posted speed limit on the Interstate highway system. 750 miles in 12 hours doesn't require speeding at all. That's 12 hours of actual driving time; it may take 14 or 15 hours clock time due to intermediate stops to fill the fuel tank or drain my tank.

When I'm towing my toad, I stick to 60 mph even on the Interstate highway system (my Honda owner's manual limits me to 65 mph or less while towing, and no more than 500 miles at a time), and my maximum towing range to date has been about 400 miles in one day, between home and Eastbank Campground on Lake Seminole.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I tend to be hyper - my working life of 50+ years usually involved long hectic days with ample anxiety and stress. No more.

Now that I'm retired I try really hard to slow everything down. Unless there is an emergency of some kind the word urgency has been eliminated from my vocabulary.

When pulling a trailer I observe the following "We'll get there eventually" rules:

o 250 miles a day unless that leaves less than 50 miles from my destination
o Short break after two hours
o 55 miles per hour
o Stop whenever I see something interesting
o Avoid large urban areas whenever possible
o No driving after dark
o Arrive early enough to set up in time for cocktail hour
o If a destination creates a gotta-get-there destination frame of mind, then I change the destination
o Minimize reservations as they tend to create gotta-get-there

It takes me a long time to get somewhere, but I figure I'm always somewhere already.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you have planned your trip (and had choices about which way to take) it's nice if you can make it an enjoyable trip.

Remember that old saying, "It's not about getting there, it's the journey."
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
No trailer tires are rated for over 55 mph.
Perhaps you meant to say 65. All my search results show 65. Here's one from the etrailer site: The trailer tires we offer are rated for 65 mph (which is typical) unless stated otherwise on the sidewall.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
Perhaps you meant to say 65. All my search results show 65. Here's one from the etrailer site: The trailer tires we offer are rated for 65 mph (which is typical) unless stated otherwise on the sidewall.
"Unless stated otherwise on the sidewall."
My last GYM's said 55 on the sidewall. Don't know about Carlisle or Maxxi - but from reports on the forum they don't seem to perform well at any speed. Anyone else know for sure?

Paula
Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Quote:

Airstreams with the 15 inch wheels and Goodyear Marathons - tire blowout waiting to happen at sustained speeds over 55 mph. No trailer tires are rated for over 55 mph.

I rolled my previous Airstream going 65 mph on a 70 mph speed limit stretch of I 64...and I am SURE I'd have had more time to react at 55 mph. Might still have wrecked but the slower you go, the more recovery time you have. Even just blowing a tire at high speed can damage the aluminum surrounding the wheel well of your trailer. I hankered after an Eddie Bauer, but never wanted to get one "by accident".

I am now a geezer driver. I only drive over 55 mph when I fear getting killed if I go slower (I-95 in heavy traffic), but generally I avoid opt to avoid i-95 in the first place. I will not be rude and hold other people up because I'm putting along at 45 mph, and where it can be done safely I will pull off and let a line of faster vehicles pass. I'll also stay in the outside lane on four lane highways to allow faster people to pass safely. I'm not setting any land speed records, but then if I only make 350-400 miles per day, I still sleep in my own bed at night.

Also night driving - only in a full moon. (I used to have abnormally good night vision and it's still above average but too much stuff you can't see is out there in the dark.) In the north - it's MOOSE. I was at the mothership on a visit when an Airstream came in for emergency service. The tow vehicle hit a deer. The deer flew up on the hood of the truck, then over the roof and through the panoramic front window to bleed out on the untraleather couch of the Airstream. Erk!

Be safe out there People (Hill Street Blues)
Paula
thought you'd find this link interesting, apparently it's more risky driving with a full moon.
Auto Accidents Rise 14% During Full Moon, U.K. Insurer Says - Bloomberg
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
On the road, I leave early and stop early. I pre-plan days with 300-325 miles when possible. I may stretch it to 400 miles if it is interstate and a better stopping place is further on. This leaves us plenty of time for rest stops, a leisurely lunch, and stops for attractions along the way. I tow at 62-65 mph which is in the sweet spot for my diesel and I seldom get out of 6th gear except in the hills. I'm 81 and I don't have the stamina I used to have.

With my Michelins and 16" wheels, I could tow faster, but where's the fire?

On longer trips, I like to take a short day first day from home. That gets us out of Austin after the work traffic dies down and gives me plenty of time to ready the trailer after I bring it home from storage. Going west, I usually stop at Junction the first night out.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't put ST rated tires on anything but a garbage trailer is my advice. I run 235/75 R15 XL car tires. If you have a newer trailer that will put over 2000lb per tire I would go with 16 in Rims and E rated truck tires.

Perry

Quote:
"Unless stated otherwise on the sidewall."
My last GYM's said 55 on the sidewall. Don't know about Carlisle or Maxxi - but from reports on the forum they don't seem to perform well at any speed. Anyone else know for sure?

Paula
Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The longest drive we've done regularly is from home in Vancouver, WA to Ashland, OR - 300 miles. The google map says 5 hours, but it takes us just over 6 with stopping for lunch, gas, and stretch breaks. I really wouldn't want to go any further than that. 6 hours on the road is too many for me and my hubby, and that's with trading off driving duties!

Then there's the rule that you should stay someplace three times longer than it took you to get there - takes a day to drive there, stay three days to make it worth it

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #26
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is a blog titled "300 miles or 3:00" which we have adapted as our rule of travel. 300 miles is long enough to put a dent in a trip and short enough to enjoy the journey. While I was working, 400-500 miles was the norm, but each day at that pace made the travel less enjoyable.

By stopping at 3pm we can meet new people at the rv parks we stay at and enjoy some of the local culture as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I don't have a travel limit, I treat travel like I'm on vacation, which it usually is!

We get up when we get up, have a good breakfast, don't rush hooking up and don't rush traveling. If we make reservations or set a destination goal we try to be realistic and I have no problem arriving a day late if necessary to stay safe, I also have no problem taking 8 hours to travel 400miles.. We often stop for long lunches or dinners, lots of bathroom breaks and I never speed when towing. If I get there in the dark, that's what flashlights are for, as long a I felt safe while driving.

Funny story, most of our travel is with the Tundra and Airstream where we travel at 65mph or below and stop every 3 hours for fuel. Last year we drove to Florida in the 35mpg Pontiac G6, I drove 400 miles at 75mph without stopping for fuel! After 3 hours I needed a bathroom break but we had only used 1/3 tank of gas and it just didn't feel right stopping without buying fuel!
AldeanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ah, retirement!..

For through-travel sorts of trips, we generally have a "get up and go" philosophy in the morning, which can mean preparing a "sack breakfast" the night before, as so much time in the a.m. seems to be spent with all of the fooferaw of just preparing to pull out of the site.

Len really benefits from an afternoon nap, so generally we pull over in a rest area or park for lunch and his quick snooze while I clean up the lunch debris, walk the dog, and maybe read a little.

Refreshed, he usually drives till at least an hour or so before dinner time or sundown, which ever comes first. As others have noted, it is just that much more of a hassle to deal with camping after dark, esp. if we're looking for an unfamiliar RV park off the highway.

We don't eat out a whole lot on long drives, partly because of the time element, and also because we tend to eat healthier when we prepare our own food.

Jeanne