Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Do I want a 34' Airstream or not?

Quick introduction is that we are Husband and Wife from Ohio, in our mid 50's now empty nesters. We started our married life with a New Coleman pop-up after tenting for a few years and then got into boating We bought a New Sea-ray and loved it, used it as a camper, and maintained as a family until one Saturday going up the Maumee River my son said "Dad, the reason you like the boat so much is because you get to drive and I have no friends out here". I was floored and asked wife to come sit next to me..travel trailer time. That Thursday I bought a New 26' Dutchman WB Bunkhouse and that was 10 years of fun until a 34' motorhome was offered to me at a great price. DUMB. Motorhome cost more in repairs then I ever expected so sold it at a great loss but I just couldnt trust it.
Now it comes time to decide what do we want to do in future. Boating will always be in my life with rowboat on top of truck but we got spoiled by the 34' motor homes space. We started shopping and I love the triple axles for safety and stability. (I towed one in Indiana).
Questions......
1) I'm not one to but used but there are no 34'ers NEW anymore but clean ones are out there.
2) My tow vechicle is a 1998 GMC 2500 Sierra 4x4 ext cab, long bed, 454 Vortec with 4;10 rear end so no towing worries.(Original owner, 130kmiles)
3) We would probably use it 2 trips west each summer until wife retires and also atleast 2 weekends a month year round. Yes we winter camp.
4) Is the third axle a problem?
5) Is there a 30 or 31 that is spacious as the 34?
6) I would tow with WD Hitch only for safety but tongue weight do's not effect that truck.
7) Is the 34 measured from bumper to bumper or just living area?

Please give me ALL info you care to share and I greatly appreciate the help.
Jakeo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My 1999 34 is 34'-11" actual length, front of hitch to end of bumper. Front wall to rear wall is ~4' less.
I really like my 34' for staying longer in one spot, almost like a second home.
The 1999 30' I owned was very similar but lacked the dinette seating.
There is hardly any difference in towing, but the 34' is smoother riding.