Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"Pocket Internet" is a reference to my smart phone having internet access wherever I go... Would have killed for this technology during my Navy days.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Corona , California
We won't discuss "Falcon Codes" in heavy use by Naval Aviators during my tenure in the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:50 AM   #31
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
We won't discuss "Falcon Codes" in heavy use by Naval Aviators during my tenure in the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.

During that particular time (67-68 in my case) I was flying in P2Vs off the coast out of Ton Sun Nhut and Cam Rahn Bay. Being essentailly unarmed, (although a box of Chu Hoi leaflets can inflict some harm if dropped unopened), we rarely went very near the DMZ. So, do I know about Falcon Codes? F115
Ken
Old 10-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I was on the USS Ranger CVA-61. I stayed off the coast on Yankee Station the entire time. It was interesting but not by any means fun. Birdfarm duty was long weeks of total boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. Collected a bunch of great 'sea stories' during that period. Most of them based on near miss situations. I'm still amazed I survived some of them...

Old 10-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I was on the USS Ranger CVA-61. I stayed off the coast on Yankee Station the entire time. It was interesting but not by any means fun. Birdfarm duty was long weeks of total boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. Collected a bunch of great 'sea stories' during that period. Most of them based on near miss situations. I'm still amazed I survived some of them...

I'm not sure I would have survived life on a carrier. The lack of the O Club Bar after a mission would have done me in. However in Saigon, we were billeted in town off the base. That was an adventure/education all in itself.

Ken
W7TS

OOPS, I forgot where we were. Don't turn down the brake controller when it rains.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Sounds like the consensus is not to lower the brake gain in rain? I have spent a fair bit of effort getting my gain correct for dry roads. In slippery conditions Simply slow down and be gentle on the brakes. In real slippery conditions just grab the brake controller bar instead.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Sounds like the consensus is not to lower the brake gain in rain? I have spent a fair bit of effort getting my gain correct for dry roads. In slippery conditions Simply slow down and be gentle on the brakes. In real slippery conditions just grab the brake controller bar instead.
In my opinion, you did a great job of finding the wheat through the chaff.

Ken
Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
First of all, in rain I slow down 5mph on the level and 8-10 mph on hills before I come to the steep downhill. Second I apply the foot brake judiciously. My foot brake on the TV is set to bring on the AS brakes a hair sooner than the TV brakes. I touch the brakes more often and then let off to knock off a few miles an hour rather than ride them or step hard on them. On hills in the rain (we just came thru WVA turnpike in the rain!) I will keep it in a lower gear on the descent and use the brakes slightly but often. Don't want to lock them up, but don't want so much trailer energy that the AS starts to shove the TV.

Yet, I am passed by autos and 18 wheelers going 5-10 mph over the limit downhill in the rain, around mtn. curves etc. If ANYTHING goes wrong for them disaster waits. I leave the electric brake gain where it is set, it is my foot that is recalibrated.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:35 AM   #37
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
o in a gentlmanly way

I think the Navy is trying to Highjack the Air Force Falcon Codes developed at the Air Force Academy to describe frustrating situations in a gentlemanly way, i.e., A Falcon Code 105 means "Excuse me Sir, but you have mistaken me for some one who gives a s*** (cares)." This and numerous other codes were used all over South East Asia by Air Force Pilots and Crew Members. That is, if you think that's a 105 (insert decode above). I can't believe it has been 50 years since all that happened. "Except for the grace of God go I."
guskmg, USAF (Retired)
Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Actually that's a Falcon two six niner according to my references 😄

Old 10-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
I'm a little confused about how to use the gain to break the AS. Do I squize the control knobs together and move them together to the right until I feel AS pull? Or just the right knob? Or just push the plus button? Right now it is set at 5.0 where was set by prior owner had it. I have never used the gain.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07007 View Post
I'm a little confused about how to use the gain to break the AS. Do I squize the control knobs together and move them together to the right until I feel AS pull? Or just the right knob? Or just push the plus button? Right now it is set at 5.0 where was set by prior owner had it. I have never used the gain.

I think you need tell us what brake controller you have, so that someone familiar with it can help you.

Ken
Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
To set brake gain one must find an empty parking lot and start hard braking from 20 mph. If the brakes lock reduce gain. If the trailer pushes or the truck doesn't stop well add gain. My Ford owners manual says 6 is a good starting point. On an 2015 F150 with. 9000 gvw AS 27' Classic I have found that 7.5 works best in the dry. So far I have camped or parked before having to deal with strong rain.

Leaving the gain at what the dealer guesses is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm reading that the consensus is don't change gain once set? This is contrary to what I've been told verbally by other drivers.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
To clarify, the other driver I referred to was the service technician at Colonial.