Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
DisneyWorld Fort Wilderness camping

We just got back from Fort Wilderness and I thought I'd give a short review of the camp. We stayed for one week during the first month of December. If you go at some other time of the year, you may get a very different experience.
Well, it is DisenyWorld so everything is clean and in good order. The trash is picked up every day, the streets are swept, the supplies restocked and the staff is very nice. We were on loop 300 (one of the dog friendly loops). All of the sites have slabs for the trailer so there is no trouble getting a level site. All sites are back in, no pull throughs. This is the biggest RV park I have ever seen. There are hundreds of sites. Don't let the name fool you, there is no wilderness here.
For the basic rate, you get a camp site and a parking pass. This parking pass lets you park in any Diseny resort or theme park for no extra charge. This is worth at least $15.00 per day so take this bonus in to consideration if you plan on Disney in a camper. You also get water, power and sewage at any of the premium sites. Compared to Diseny resort rates, this is a bargin.
People were very nice and the site was very quiet. There were very few children around so this may not be true at other times of the year. All of the dogs we met were good. They do have a doggie play area now so you can let your dog run and play without a leash in this area. The Diseny kennel is also located in the Fort Wilderness area. You can board your dog full time or just do the doggie-day-care. We used the day care and were very pleased with the level of care and attention.
On the down side, there are rules for everything. After reading the rules; we found that it is almost impossible to get through a day without making some sort of infraction. (you can't walk your dog outside of the dog area, you can't leave an untended dog, you can only use your car to enter and level the camping area, the kennel can only be reached by car or electric cart, you can't ride a pet in an electric cart; therefore, you will end up breaking some park rules) And this is only the dog rules. There are rules for children, fires, noise and anything else you can think of. I think this is only done to be able to ask you to leave if you make yourself unwelcome. We had no trouble at all and enjoyed our stay.
Anything thing extra that you want will cost you. Want cable TV, a fee. Want internet, an other fee. Want to bring your dog, a fee. Want friends to visit, a parking fee. Want to use an electric cart, a fee. Diseny wants you to have a good time and leave as much money as possible with them.
They do have stores in the camp to get ice, food and even drink. Prices are a little high but not near as high as dinning out. There are food stores outside the park but be ready for a 20 minute trip each way.
We were there for a week and only had one day of rain. The climate went from heater to A/C so be ready for anything weather wise. Durriing the summer, it's always hot. We've always done Diseny in the winter. Smaller crowds, cooler temps and a chance of rain.
We dinned out at some of the other resorts and in the theme parks. (that parking pass really helps) Food in DisneyWorld is not very good but the entertainment value is high.
There are busses and boats that that will take you from Fort Wilderness to any place in DisenyWorld. You can also use your own car to travel from your camping site to any of the parking lots there. Use your car to go from your camp site to a Wilderness store and you just broke the rules. Plan your stops and this is not a problem.
DisneyWorld is not on my list of places to camp but my family wanted to go. As far as camp sites can be rated, Fort Wilderness is first rate. For a chance to get out to be with nature, it's dead last.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Camp Wilderness

Your last sentence says it all. We were there in Feb. The big pool was closed, nightly campfire and a outdoor movie with Chip and Dale. Most people are there for the parks so it's the cheapest way to get the experience and be close. It's like the suburbs, no body's home for the day and come home to eat and sleep. But I'd do it again except for the 1000 mile drive.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I've never been there but a friend who once stayed with his family at Fort Wilderness while visiting Disneyland said that if he went again he would stay someplace else. He liked the park a lot as it was clean and so on, but considering he and his family only spent the evenings there sleeping, he felt like he paid too much.

Whenever I go I'll probably stay with their cheaper (though maybe not as nice) competition.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Fort Wilderness

Even though it is pricey as a location to sleep, it's still cheaper than any hotel, but the main thing is that it's as close to the parks as you could ever get and the water taxi to Disney World and the buses everywhere means that the TV stays on the lot
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
and the water taxi to Disney World
Magic Kingdom
Ben4762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
We were there in October and had another post on the subject. No matter what Disney does, it's first class. Other benefits of staying in a Disney property are bonus hours in the parks, free transportation and the ability to take a mid day break.

I have camped and stayed at Disney hotels since the 70's and rarely had a bad experience, let alone an unpleasant stay. The reason why Disney vacations are expensive is because they are worth it.
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I have to agree. The benifits of staying at Fort Wilderness actually exceed the cost. The only way it would be more cost effective to stay outside the Disney parks would be a free camping site or one costing less than $12.00 a night. Many KOA parks get close the the Disney price without the benifits. I've stayed at $12 a night sites and they are usually pretty bad. I have no plans to return to Disney, but if I did, I would return to Fort Wilderness.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
Many KOA parks get close the the Disney price without the benifits. I've stayed at $12 a night sites and they are usually pretty bad.
I've stayed at KOA's and others and none can compare to Disney. Firstly, you're not right on top of each other. Nothing is worse to me than opening your door and having another TT six feet away. Our closest neighbor was ~25' at Ft Wilderness.

Secondly, the sites themselves are outstanding. Level, deep pads, trash collection at the end of your drive (no hauling to dumpsters), clean facilities and quiet, respectful campers. Let's face it, the less you pay, the more apt you are to have people partying outside your door with a 30 pack.

People behave differently at Disney. The reason why the parks are so clean is partially because people treat them differently. You don't see that behavior at Six Flags. (Of course, the other reason could be that they pressure wash all of the walkways at night, have their own trash handling facilities and don't sell gum in the parks!).

I'll take paying more any day.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
i returned from disney the first week of november.stayed in the 300 loop this trip which is a preferred site.a premium site adds another $10 a day to the cost.my pad was a little short for both trailer and truck.next year im going to go for two weeks since i enjoy the park.lots of things to do,and yes it does cost substantial money,but my opinion is it is worth it.price definately keeps the place top shelf.next year going for the premium site to get the longer pad.my rv lifestyle is something i enjoy,and i am not into roughing it.the new pool and hot tub is great.also rented a pontoon boat for an hour and took the family for a tour of the resorts from the lake side.cost $90,which i thought was fair.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
exxon- I agree.. pricey, but worth it.. for a week-long stay, we usually only go to the 'parks' 2 days (that's about all I can handle).. and all the other activities and amenities in the FW are top notch.. btw, sweet username

nynick- last FW trip put me next to some real inconsiderate types in a quarter-mill pusher.. (prolly borrowed it <wink>).. IME, lesser known private CG's are almost always quiet and uneventful.. KOA's having the highest percentage of rude campers.. and state parks anywhere in the middle

FW is no-question, the best at what they are: campground? RV resort?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
nynick- last FW trip put me next to some real inconsiderate types in a quarter-mill pusher.. (prolly borrowed it <wink>).. IME, lesser known private CG's are almost always quiet and uneventful.. KOA's having the highest percentage of rude campers.. and state parks anywhere in the middle
At least the big rig wasn't outside your door. I enjoy the spacing at FW. We didn't have to unhitch with our 24 plus the TV.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
this is true... come to think of it, FW is as spread out as any CG I've been in
Old 12-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Red face

The BEST thing about Disney.......the stock.

Sorry... it's just never been on our list, we "DINK'S" who like to "DOCK"

TEHO
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
not even once??
Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
not even once??

Once, couldn't take the reality....
Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
You're either Disney people or your not. Frankly, I'm glad some people aren't; more room for me!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynick52 View Post
You're either Disney people or your not. Frankly, I'm glad some people aren't; more room for me!
My wife and daughter are, I'm not. Every year we go to Fort Wilderness and they go to the parks.
Ben4762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Our boys grew up there. Never had to worry once you entered those gates. My wife once left her purse in France at Epcot and didn't realize it (we were carrying a backpack too) until we were in Mexico. We left the pavillion and she had a look of panic on her face. Within seconds, two suits (Disney people not in uniform) approached us to find out what was wrong; they were reading expressions at this point. Long story short, her purse with cash, credit cards and travellers checks were turned in by a guest and safe.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but that's typical of how things work in the parks. The happiest place on earth!