Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Disney's Ft. Wilderness

Ok...I have not been here as of yet and it has been many years since I have been there.I am wanting to go around the 4th to the 9th of November.4 nights total.I know Minnies Mate is the one who know this very well but are there others who know some tricks also.Being that this is my first time doing all of this to set it up.What should I do for the best package.I have a 4 year old so a premium package is out of the question.I just want to take her to the Animal Kingdom to see the animals.I dont really know how she will do with the rides yet.I did check online to see how much a basic package cost.It was around $825.00 if I remember correctly.Any and every bit of help is great help and is appreciated.Thanks.
I just want to get it right the first time and not go thru all kinds of you know what when I am to arrive there.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Devoman,

The best investment we made for Disney is a book found at any bookstore called "The Unofficial Guide to Disney". It comes out each year but the information inside is good for several seasons. All sorts of numbers to look at as for what fare and packages are offered, expected ride wait times, tips, unpublished Disney offers that you only find out about after 20 trips there. It really helps - Tina reads it cover to cover.

FW has pet loops so be ready for that. I know you have a dog, many just did not admit it when they checked in and I saw some in the other loops. The facilities are great - lots of kids stuff to do at the campground including movies and characters. The FW store is well stocked, but Walmart is a short drive away.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
We evacuated to Fort Wilderness for Katrina and it was one of the smartest things I have ever done. We stayed there 2 weeks on one of the pet loops and only went to the parks twice the day Katrina hit New Orleans and the day we left to return to New Orleans. It was totally secure and we had enough to keep us busy without going into the parks. Do a Google search on Fort Wilderness several dedicated sites exist which will advise you how to get the best deals.

FAQ for Fort Wilderness:http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/faq_fw.htm

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Hey Devoman,

We went down there last May and had a blast. The Animal Kingdom was my family's favorite park. Make sure you ride the Expedition to Everest roller coaster (the Yeti). My 6 year old daughter loved it! And make sure you eat in the Rainforest Cafe there. Pretty cool to have jungle "animals" and "rain" sounding off all around you as you dine.

We didn't stay at Fort Wilderness. Camper wasn't ready so we stayed at the All Star resorts. I understand Fort Wilderness is really nice though, and I do plan to stay there next trip.

What we found was that you want a park hopper pass so you can go to any of them. Once you guy a 3-day pass, it costs you next to nothing to upgrade it. We got there early Wednesday afternoon and were leaving late Sunday afternoon. I orignally had 3-day passes. To upgrade the three of to five day passes cost $45 total. It was money well spent! We went to the Animal Kingdom the first night. Every day, at least one park stays open late for Disney resort people only. That is, they run out the general public at 6:00pm or so and let only the resort stayers stay in until 9-10pm. So we wound up at the AK for about six hours that night. We hit all the parks and came back to AK our last night there. We had a blast.

So, make sure you get passes for every day you're there. You'll have a ball!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Book

Cool...I will check into that when I get a chance.Also thinking about going a whole week instead if possible.I plan to hopefully be out in St.Augustine afterwards for a couple weeks to see some friends.I can not wait to get back on the road again.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Since you're a Florida Resident, there are better deals. Check out the Florida Resident Seasonal Pass, and book Fort Wilderness separately. The Florida resident passes are a real deal, and it's not a flim-flam. You must have a valid Florida DL or State issued ID to get this deal.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You did not mention the Magic Kingdom with a 4 year old. In general the bus system stinks now so consider the premier campsites they are worth the cost as you you can walk to the ferry and transportation to the Kingdom via the Contemperary Hotel. I just got a flyer from Disney today that has the premier sites at $50.00 a night Sunday through Thursday 8/12 to 9/29. While this will not help it they may have others on the way.

See you at Top Sail

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Online or Call

I should call them to get the info right or do they do everything online only?I do have a dog I will be taking with us though.I also want the full hookup if possible also.I figure if I nip this in the bud in the next few days I will get a decent spot at least.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Deals:)

The more deals the better I say.That will help in staying another couple days or so longer if possible.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
If there are no available sites for the dates you want, just keep calling. We have gone to Fort Wilderness possibly 4 of the last 6 years just after Christmas.

Don't forget to bring your bikes - you can get to the boat launch by bike if it is too far to walk from your site.

Enjoy!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Dates

When I went online to at least fool around with the packages the site were open for those days.I dont really want to go when it is close to holidays.Kinda stay a bit away from those days as it might be a touch less crowed.I will call them this Monday or Tuesday for sure.
Any more info as to when I get there?What to look out for and what other places to dine at or what has really great food.Are we allowed to wear backpacks in the park or is that a big NO NO if we plan to go on some rides.
Should I just not worry about trinkets and toys until afterwards and we are leaving the park for the day?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Just returned from FW last week. Had a great time. Reserved a site in the 1400 loop as recommended by Golddigger. Close to the campfire and evening activities which we didn't take advantage of. By staying at a WDW resort, parking at all the theme parks is free plus you get extended hours only available to resort guests. We used this as part of our park hopping strategy. It was hot and crowded, but the family had a great time. Spent a day at the Kennedy Space Center which was fantastic. If you go, plan on spending the entire day there - you will need all the time. We found it to be more efficient to drive and park at all the theme parks. Did I mention it was hot and crowded.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Just got back from Fort Wilderness two weeks ago. Didn't even unhook the truck the whole week.We stayed at one of the premier sites and it puts you close to the pool, stores, boat dock and bus stops. One plan that we used that worked out great was the Disney Dining Plan. You may want to look into it , epecially if you'll be eating a lot of your meals out. It'll save you a lot over just spending cash, and it gives you access to over 100 places to eat on Disney property.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Steve,

All site from what I remember are full hookup. There are designated pet loops but there is no real disadvantage to those over others - they are all nice.

One tip I have for you is that all the theme parks have pet daycare - I have to say it's really nice, run by people who really care, it is indoors with AC, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and for $9 bucks a day while you are at the parks it is well worth the safety of your pet over the camper all day. They are located at the front entrences of the parks and stay open for an hour afetr each park closes to give you time to get there. Overnite stays if you cannot get there is only $12 total for the entire day and night.

The book I mentioned above as 20 years of statistics compiled on how people go to the paks for a given set of conditions, which rides to hit first - tips on food quality at any restaurant, peak periods for vacationers, etc. It's really interesting and helps plan the days more efficiently.

Good Luck, Have fun....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
We stayed at one of the premier sites and it puts you close to the pool, stores, boat dock and bus stops.
Craftsman

Clarfiy something for me. You mentioned the pool was close to the premier sites. Hvae they installed a second pool at FW? I agree the premier site are worth it by the last time I was there the pool was 1/2 mile from them.

Another advantage of these sites while traveling with a child and attending the MK is the fact that you can return to the trailer midday for a short nat and then go back just as the crouds are leaving.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
The site we stayed in #812 was directly across from the pool and golf cart rental barn. One site away from the bus stop and about 500ft away from the showers. Yes there are two pools.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
When I went online to at least fool around with the packages the site were open for those days.I dont really want to go when it is close to holidays.Kinda stay a bit away from those days as it might be a touch less crowed.I will call them this Monday or Tuesday for sure.
Any more info as to when I get there?What to look out for and what other places to dine at or what has really great food.Are we allowed to wear backpacks in the park or is that a big NO NO if we plan to go on some rides.
Should I just not worry about trinkets and toys until afterwards and we are leaving the park for the day?
For rides that you would be concerned with carry on items, they have storage bins or pouches at each seat. If you have a stroller, just leave your pack with non valuables. Any purchases you make at the park can be sent back to FW at no charge - we did this with all souvenier purchases so we didn't have to carry anything with us. Your key card doubles as a credit charged charged back to your site, and ALL purchases (drinks, food, you name it can be charged) can be charged. No need to bring any large sum of cash - you won't have any left anyway after you pay Mickey.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #18
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Card

Now I like that.I hate to carry money and cards like that would be perfect to use.I dont really expect to ride anything unless Breanna sees something intresting.If anything ...I will be the guy sitting in the little tiny rides with my legs hanging out with her smiling and laughing the whole time.(Probably at me

Old 07-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
... Did I mention it was hot and crowded.
Did you expect something different than that in July?

We had an opportunity to go to Disney in late June but passed because of the weather. I don't do hot and muggy very well.

We went to FW in March this year and I would highly recommend that time of year from a weather perspective. The sun was warm and the shade was cool with no bugs and no humidity. And, there were crowds at that time too! Is there ever a time where there are no crowds at Disney?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Devo, there was a whole article in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel travel section on doing Disney and Ft. Wilderness on Sunday. You might find it online, or it was an associated press article so probably ran in other papers if you do a search.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote