Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #141
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
We've stayed in FW on three occasions. Once, we saw two of the biggest, swankiest, pushers, parked in 700(?) loop. A nearby camper told us it was the family from "Extreme Home Makeover" show.
I made the acquaintance of a couple from Massachusetts who were "living" in their second Prevost at Ft. Wilderness. They come down from November through March every year. They also had the same site, #301 every year and had bronze plaques with the address "301 Ft. Wilderness Way" on it. Their best friends, a couple from Tampa kept their American Eagle motor home on site #302 year round and had a matching plaque that read "302 Ft. Wilderness Way". They weren't the only ones to winter at the Fort. Most of loop 100 is full of these types during the winter months.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #142
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Good deal...that is depending on your perspective. When you consider that a Value Resort room is usually less than $25/night more and you are providing the room, bed, linens, and cleaning, you have to decide if you'd rather camp or stay in a hotel room. Also, you have to factor in the cost of extra fuel for the trip when towing to see if it is a good deal. But, just as an FYI, there have been reports of bedbugs in the WDW resort hotels.

Generally, we use the Airstream for two purposes: as a hotel room (our beds, our germs in the bathroom) and so that our dog can go with us and not have to be boarded.
We stayed at All-Star Music this past June. You also need to factor in the large number of people staying at the value hotels. The pools were packed day and night. And trust me, you could still walk a long way. Our room was in building farthest from the Check in/store/arcade/laundry/restaurant areas. At the end of the day it felt as if we had to walk 1/4 mile to our room from the bus stop. At least at Fort Wilderness you can ride your bikes or a bus to your loop.

We are taking our Airstream for the same reasons.. except we are going to forego the dining plan this time and eat two meals a day in our trailer. I found that I want to be flexible about dining. If you have the dining plan with Table Service dinners, then you have to (according to Disney Customer service) do the Advanced dining reservations to eat. Which means making sure you are at a certain place at a specific time. We spent a small part of everyday just waiting around for our dining time.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
We'll be at the Fort the second week of February. It's the first trip ever for Jason and the boys. I went down when I was 6 years old. I'm assuming a lot has changed in the last 27 years. We priced out staying at a value resort or staying the Airstream and the cost was about the same. In the end we thought our own kitchen and beds would make the trip easier when dealing with two little kids still needing afternoon naps.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it right now. We made reservations at the Fort and that's all the planning we have done so far. There is also the problem of needing to tear out the kitchen in the Airstream and rebuild it before February. One thing at a time I guess...
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I made the acquaintance of a couple from Massachusetts who were "living" in their second Prevost at Ft. Wilderness. They come down from November through March every year. They also had the same site, #301 every year and had bronze plaques with the address "301 Ft. Wilderness Way" on it. Their best friends, a couple from Tampa kept their American Eagle motor home on site #302 year round and had a matching plaque that read "302 Ft. Wilderness Way". They weren't the only ones to winter at the Fort. Most of loop 100 is full of these types during the winter months.
So they do make site specific reservations...

I've got some minor pet-peeves with FW, but I could definitely think of worse CG's to long term at...

BTW- what's the consensus on FW.. "resort" or "campground"?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #145
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
DISboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
We'll be at the Fort the second week of February. It's the first trip ever for Jason and the boys. I went down when I was 6 years old. I'm assuming a lot has changed in the last 27 years. We priced out staying at a value resort or staying the Airstream and the cost was about the same. In the end we thought our own kitchen and beds would make the trip easier when dealing with two little kids still needing afternoon naps.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it right now. We made reservations at the Fort and that's all the planning we have done so far. There is also the problem of needing to tear out the kitchen in the Airstream and rebuild it before February. One thing at a time I guess...
Andrea,
We were dreading it. Thinking we would hate every minute of it. It was going to be horrible, something to get done once and never again. OH... we were so wrong!! We were the ones wanting to go back first. I am not sure how old your kids are, but it was amazing seeing the kids excitement. We also got a lot of pictures with the characters without even trying.

You can print out customizable maps at Walt Disney Worlds official site. Adding things that are age appropriate for your kids. They also give the ride requirements. You can PM if you'd like.

The naps you might find to be a blessing. The days are long and event filled at WDW. We spent 16 straight hours at the Magic Kingdom! This time we are planning to come back for an early dinner, rest for a bit, then head back out for some fireworks/parades/more rides.

You might be interested in this forum:

Camping at Disney World - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

While we won't be tearing out the kitchen, we will be addressing the extra bed we need to put in before march!

Nicki

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #146
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
So they do make site specific reservations...

I've got some minor pet-peeves with FW, but I could definitely think of worse CG's to long term at...

BTW- what's the consensus on FW.. "resort" or "campground"?
Well, if you are going to drop that kind of coin for six months, Disney can make exceptions. This couple was only in their 50's and had been coming for the winter since 1978!

Official policy at Ft. Wilderness is that you can only stay for 8 months maximum. When I asked Mr. McMahon how he was able to keep his motor home in the same site year round, his response was that if you give Disney your credit card number they will do just about any thing you want...in other words, if you got the money they will accommodate just about any request you have. The last time I calculated, it would run more than $3,000/month to stay at Ft. Wilderness and that was being conservative and that was before they created the latest generation of campsites that run more than $100/night during peak times. I guess those black Amex cards do come with privileges that we common folk don't get.

Oh, BTW, everyone calls it a campground but it really is a resort and Disney calls it that. They also charge like it is and then some.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #147
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
You can print out customizable maps at Walt Disney Worlds official site. Adding things that are age appropriate for your kids. They also give the ride requirements. You can PM if you'd like.

Camping at Disney World - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

While we won't be tearing out the kitchen, we will be addressing the extra bed we need to put in before march!

Nicki

Thanks Nicki!

Our kids are 4 and 2. I didn't know about printing out the maps. I'll have to play around with that. I have been on the disboards and they have helped so much. It's overwhelming to try and plan, so I asked a bunch of question over there and compiled the information. I haven't been through all of it yet.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #148
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Andrea,
Here is the link to the maps.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...dMapsFlashPage

I think this might really help you plan. Since you are going with really little ones it might help you prioritize what you want to visit. Particularly ride requirements.

We got pictures with Mickey and Minnie behind his house in Magic Kingdom. I think I read this was the only place in MK to get a photo with mickey. (35 minute wait)

I really understand how overwhelming planning can be. Our last trip, I spent over an hour on the phone making Dining Plan reservations. Then it was figuring out Extra Magic Hours and what park to go to when. This time I bought through Dreams Unlimited and they handle all that stuff for you. Even recommended what park to go to when based on crowd expectancy and magic hours.

here is a transpo site someone from disboards shared with me

OLP: Transportation Wizard -- Our Laughing Place home of OLPTravel

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Andrea,
Here is the link to the maps.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...dMapsFlashPage

I think this might really help you plan. Since you are going with really little ones it might help you prioritize what you want to visit. Particularly ride requirements.

Those were great. I went through and made a custom map of everything recommended for preschoolers as well as what others told me at disboards. I love that it gave height requirements right there so I could delete anything the boys couldn't ride.

I should have my customized maps in 2-4 weeks.

Thanks so much for that link!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #150
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Your welcome. I was wondering what tips you got from the disboards. Anything useful for 7 & 8 yr olds?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
I was wondering what tips you got from the disboards. Anything useful for 7 & 8 yr olds?
Sorry, I have nothing useful for those ages. I asked everyone what they considered a "must do" for toddlers and preschoolers. I had some people give me very specific lists of exactly what their 3 or 4 year old liked in each park. That made it pretty easy and gave me a great starting point for each park.

I did read that there is a great spot over at FW to watch the fireworks at night (I'm thinking it was at a beach maybe by the boats). I'm hoping to take advantage of that while we're there.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #152
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
That's ok. Just thought I'd see... sometimes you get more than you ask for over there. I like the idea of watching the fireworks on the beach.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
I did read that there is a great spot over at FW to watch the fireworks at night (I'm thinking it was at a beach maybe by the boats). I'm hoping to take advantage of that while we're there.

The beach is nice to view the fireworks - no sound but the fireworks are great.

There is the additional lighted boat show at the beach that is programmed before the fireworks. Keeps the kids excited and is sorta fun. The beach has easy access to restrooms and there is a store there for drinks and stuff.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #154
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Disney Ft Wilderness

Well now that I am done with being sick and missing out on the Canopener.I am ready to go to Disney once again.Me and the little one are leaving the 17th this Monday and staying the whole week there so if anyone is going to be in Ft Wilderness,You will see us there running around the campgrounds or the parks.
Monday we head to Hollywood Studios to ride the Tower of terror.She loves that ride and then off to ride a few others and then take the bus back and hit Magic kingdom to ride the rollercoasters.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #155
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
New Park

Remember for those of you that dont know except for a few of you.(Minnies Mate)
Toon town will be closing up in Febuary for the remoldeling of the new addition to the park with lots more stuff.So far the first phase should be done in just over a year hopefully.Cant wait to see the new rides.Several will be put in there.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #156
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburg
I just noticed your from Hanover. If you don't make it to Disney World, Knoebels is perfect for families with little ones! You can walk from your campsite to the park. (you proably already know about it.) Anyway, best of luck!
That's in Hazelton pa.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #157
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
Remember for those of you that dont know except for a few of you.(Minnies Mate)
Toon town will be closing up in Febuary for the remoldeling of the new addition to the park with lots more stuff.So far the first phase should be done in just over a year hopefully.Cant wait to see the new rides.Several will be put in there.
Star Tours in Disney's Hollywood Studios is closed as well. for anyone going to WDW, there is a web page you can check to see about closures. Also a disney forum site that usually has the info...

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #158
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Star Tours in Disney's Hollywood Studios is closed as well. for anyone going to WDW, there is a web page you can check to see about closures. Also a disney forum site that usually has the info...
Correct. They are converting this to 3D. I can't wait to see it.

I think we are going tomorrow for dinner @ Epcot.

Also~we will be at Ft. Wilderness the 28th~31st, and Feb. 11th~13th. Hope to see some of you there.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #159
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
Hope to see some of you there.
not us.... at least not for awhile....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #160
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Glad you are feeling better. We were sad to miss the Can Opener, too. But we missed the rally because of our recent move...to Orlando! Now we can just drive over to Disney on the spur of the moment instead of making months ahead plans and driving for nearly nine hours.

Have a great trip and think of us still unpacking the boxes that line the dinning room and home office.
WBCCI# 4821