Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Disney Fort Wilderness

Is Fort Wilderness inside the park area so you can catch the tram to all the attractions? I want to stay in the park so I don't have to drive in/out and park daily.

WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
We've been to FW on 3 separate occasions, here's some of what we 'discovered'...

- there's no site-specific reservations, so they do a lot of 'jockeying' at check-in.. all three times they 'downgraded' my site at check-in, didn't catch it the first time (had no idea there was full / preferred / premium)... suffice to say, got exactley what I wanted third time around...

- didn't hang around on check-out day. topped off tanks, emptied waste, then pulled over to the overflow parking (next to entrance) where we setup boondock camp. Since it was early, there was plenty of parking. From there, we spent another day swimming/parks/etc... just don't try to spend the night there <grin> we had sheriff 'woody' run us out of there (even tho there was a class 'A' and two 5th wheels still there)

- watch out for the golf carts... it's only a matter of time before they crack down on these- almost been run down, walking thru the non-lighted loops at night, by what appeared to be under-age/inexperienced drivers

- enjoy Wilderness Lodge amenities. If you're close to the boat launch, hopping on a ferry is quick and easy... they have a much nicer pool (haven't seen the 'new' pool at FW), and pool-side restaurant
good tips Joe, thanks, and I'm happy to hear they can down-grade your site when you arrive....we just made a week long reservation for June '10 and were told the only sites available were the $96 ones, when I wanted the $69 ones...

this year we plan on spending multiple days at the water park since we didn't make it there on our last trip....really psyched about going this summer!

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
Is Fort Wilderness inside the park area so you can catch the tram to all the attractions? I want to stay in the park so I don't have to drive in/out and park daily.
Yes. Buses or boats take you to all 4 theme parks and attractions.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
Yes, there are buses and boats that can take you to all the parks and other resorts at Disney. Boats only to Magic Kingdom, buses to the transportation facility, and direct buses to AK, Epcot, Downtown Disney, both water parks, and everywhere else.

The big thing to remember is that the campground is considered a Disney Resort - just like any other resort. There are many benefits that go along with this that few take advantage of. We use the boats to get to lots of the resturants at Disney in other resorts. You get "extra magic hours" at all parks because you are in a Disney Resort at the campground.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Yes, there are buses and boats that can take you to all the parks and other resorts at Disney. Boats only to Magic Kingdom, buses to the transportation facility, and direct buses to AK, Epcot, Downtown Disney, both water parks, and everywhere else.

The big thing to remember is that the campground is considered a Disney Resort - just like any other resort. There are many benefits that go along with this that few take advantage of. We use the boats to get to lots of the resturants at Disney in other resorts. You get "extra magic hours" at all parks because you are in a Disney Resort at the campground.
Which resort restaurants are you able to take a boat to from Fort Wilderness?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #90
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Website

Here is something that might help a bit for everyone.
Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground Photos

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
We've got a short trip to FW planned for Easter vaca... I think I'm more excited than the kids... No "Happy Camper" but I'm sure we can find another vintage in the Airstream Cellar, so stop in and say 'Hello'
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
Which resort restaurants are you able to take a boat to from Fort Wilderness?

We went to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner one night - the boat ride was the easiest way. Good food - no wait, we did have a reservation which we made at the campground store - they called and set us up for a wonderful evening.

I believe you can get to the boat launch at Epcot - we did not do this but there are lots of places to eat there. This may require a boat transfer but we always find the boat ride a better way to go vice the buses. Just more of a vacation fun time.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
There is a separate bus to each of the parks from FW (except the Magic Kingdom, only a bus to that park), including the water parks.

Quote:

I believe you can get to the boat launch at Epcot - we did not do this but there are lots of places to eat there. This may require a boat transfer but we always find the boat ride a better way to go vice the buses. Just more of a vacation fun time.
Actually, different lakes. There is a boat from FW to each of the resorts around the lake in front of the Magic Kingdom and Polynesian Resort. The launch at Epcot is on a separate lake. However, from Epcot you can get to all of the restaurants at the Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin, Yacht Club, and Beach Club.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
(except the Magic Kingdom, only a bus to that park)
A boat goes to the Magic Kingdom.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #95
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
A boat goes to the Magic Kingdom.

My bad. I meant boat.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #96
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
We'd luv to go this spring break... I think April weather is the best time to go
Old 02-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #97
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
We'd luv to go this spring break... I think April weather is the best time to go
April is a great time to go to FW and to Disney World. The temps are neither too cold or too hot. But, there is a small amount of pollen in the air at that time of year. You might see 100-150 PPM. Nothing like Atlanta which regularly sees 2,000 PPM and more (record 6,500 PPM, IIRC) in April.

Usually, there is little if any rain to worry about; however, the first week of April (Spring Break for most of the country) and/or the week leading up to Easter is the second busiest week of the year for WDW, usually the same week is for both. If you go after Easter or the last couple of weeks of April you should be alright.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy Been there during spring break....

Took the grandkids for spring break last year. Thought the economy would keep people away. Not so. My son-in-law said "I feel like a freaking gerbil". If your kids don't start school until the Monday after labor day, the best time is that week before.

Some of the best times we had was during the down time at Fort Wilderness (we stayed in a cabin). The kids liked just hanging out at any number of playgrounds, playing in the sand at the lake, playing video games, seeing the horses at the stables, swimming, eating some of the best pizza and fried chicken you would ever want, and watching for armadillos. Of course, we did do all the parks, but some of the best times were not planned, such as the time we just were riding the circle in the monorail and got to watch the fireworks from several parks in one night. Or watching the fireworks again from the boat crossing the lake.

As for restaurants - don't forget to check out Disney Downtown ! Something for everyone!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote