Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
We were at Disney this past June. We rented a house not far from the park.
We took in a Soft sided cooler. (from Bass Pro) With our lunch and drink in it. Yes they searched it. But never said a word.

We spent one full day at the park (open to close), then the next went early and left early, back to the house to swim. Then went to the park late the next day. and so on to all of the parks. This helped keep the kids from getting too crabby. (in fact one day we sent our 2 year old to the house with Grandma and Grandpa, they all took naps. THEN came back!)

I suggest you take a "segway" tour. We did the Epcot tour but they have them at Universal, and I think there is an "off road" one from the Fort Wilderness CG. It was well worth the $90 per person!

We also used a E-book from ebay " the ultimate savings guide to Disney" Well worth the money! It gives tips and tricks to save money, places to watch fire works from, Character breakfasts, Advanced ticket specials. Things you would not think of taking with you... Like Ear plugs for the kids during the fireworks.

The next time we go we plan to take the airstream!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post

I suggest you take a "segway" tour. We did the Epcot tour but they have them at Universal
Universal is not on Disney property. Did you mean Hollywood Studios?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
We are headed for Fort Wilderness for a week beginning Feb. 27th.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #104
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One practice that is popular is to freeze water bottles and take them into the parks in a back pack or large hand bag (it will be searched, though). The water thaws during the day and ice cold water is available through out the day, or until it's gone. You can bring soft sided coolers into the parks with sandwiches, snacks, and soft drinks/water. They just don't want you to bring a pic-nic basket and spread out on the ground or hard sided cooler than could be used to hit someone, but you can use one of the tables at the out door dining locations.

There are grocery stores in the area and one that is just off property on SR-535 but it is very pricey (I want to say it is an Albertson's). There is another close by in Windemere (take a left out of FW and go to the dead end. Turn left and follow this road (Apopka-Vineland Rd) until it dead ends in Windemere (5-10 minutes)). There is a Publix grocery store in the shopping center opposite the deadened. There is a Whole Foods located on Sandlake Road (??) but it is further away. When we go to FW, we take the turnpike to toll road 429 South and get off at the Hwy-535 exit in Winter Garden and take 535 south to the Publix and then go the reverse of the directions above. This avoids most of Disney property and the parking gate at the Magic Kingdom. The place to turn right to go to FW is the traffic light just before the overpass at The Hyatt Grand Cypress.

BTW, if you need diesel, the closest and, believe it or not, the cheapest diesel and gasoline to be found in the area is at the Hess Station at the Car Care Center at the exit from the parking lot at the Magic Kingdom. Just turn right out of the FW and turn right at the road that runs from the parking booth to the parking lot. Turn left as if going to the Polynesian Resort and continue to the dead end and turn left. It will be directly ahead. We generally leave from this Hess Station. It is the only place on property to buy diesel.

Quote:
There is a ferry ride from Epcot to Animal Kingdom (by England) - I had this confused in an earlier post.
The ferries at Epcot only goes from Epcot to Disney Hollywood Studios with three stops: The Boardwalk Resort; The Yacht Club/Beach Club Resorts' dock; and a dock at the Swan/Dolphin Resorts. We have stayed at the Dolphin (4 times) the Swan (6 times) and the Yacht Club (1 time) before buying the Airstream and these are the only places that are accessible from the ferry on Crescent Lake. The ferry runs from the front gate at the Studios to the rear entrance (International Gateway near England) at Epcot. None of the lakes are connected at Disney World because they are all man-made and quiet a distance apart. Originally, almost all of the property was a marshy, swampland and the lakes were built to drain the areas where construction was to take place.

Wi-Fi is new to Ft. Wilderness. They have had cable modems available for $9.95/day and still do in certain loops. I'm not sure if they have a weekly rate, but I think they do at $110/week, IIRC. We have never needed access to the Internet while there so we have never subscribed. I am pretty sure the Wi-Fi is the same price.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #105
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
gettysburg , Pennsylvania
We stayed at Fort Wilderness before we had our airstream (tent camping for 5 days). It was in June and we had thunderstorms everyday. It was awesome because we were at the typhoon lagoon and it rained at 1:00 for about 45 min, when it was over most everyone had gone home and the kids never waited in line for any of the rides. The next day we went to Blizzard Beach & the exact same thing happen. It rained at 12:00 for about an hour and a half. No lines because most everyone left. So, don't worry if they're calling for rain, it could be a blessing! The hoop dee doo revue is a must for adults and children alike. It may seem expensive, but you will not regret it! Also, buy Birmbaums book on Walt Disney or get it at your local library. This is the greatest book to help your organize and schedule your activities. So many great pointers to help you save your valuable time. Fort Wilderness is a great value!
gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
I just noticed your from Hanover. If you don't make it to Disney World, Knoebels is perfect for families with little ones! You can walk from your campsite to the park. (you proably already know about it.) Anyway, best of luck!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I just sent you a PM, as I saw you are from Gettysburg (15 mins from us) with a '75 Trade Wind...small world!

Yes, we have been to Knoebels a few times, but have never camped in the park. We have camped down the road once, and last year we stopped there on a return trip from World's End State Park, and we parked with our camper in tow in the grass parking lot (for Free!), 4 of us visted the park (for Free!), along with our two dogs (for Free!). Knoebels has got to be the greatest hidden treasure, its like a page out of history, its a shame there aren't more places like that around anymore.

Sorry to have gotten off topic a bit.

Cheers,
Eric
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #108
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Agree about Knoebels, We've been there quite a few times ourselves. Anyway, try to get your hands on one of those Birmbaums books. A friend told us about this book and it helped us schedule with out rushing to see everything. We did limit our must sees to the Magic Kingdom, the two water parks and the Hoop dee doo revue, all in five days and about $1500. Again, best wishes.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #109
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
Universal is not on Disney property. Did you mean Hollywood Studios?
Yes I did mean Hollywood, sorry. We did the EPCOT tour on segways it was freaky weird being the only ones in the park that was NOT disney cast!! We were there 1.5 hours before gates opened! It was totaly worth it!

I strongly suggest the " Ultimate Disney Guide" E-book found on ebay. It was written by a former employee. It saved us a lot of money, and had great ideas of things you would not even think of!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
Old 03-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Any 'Streamers headin' to Ft. Wilderness??

We are taking the kids to Ft.Wilderness the week of Spring Break (middle of march)...any other Airstreamers heading down there?

Ready for some warm weather even if it is raining!!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
We are taking the kids to Ft.Wilderness the week of Spring Break (middle of march)...any other Airstreamers heading down there?

we'll be there first week of april...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
1963 22' Safari
Oakland , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to MsRivet
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post

We live 20 minutes away. It's still cold here . . . 56* at 10:45am. Should reach 71* today and hoping for mid to upper 70's the rest of the week. Floridians are really over the cold weather here. Bring light coats anyway the nights will be 46* - 63* over the next week. The warmest we've had in quite awhile. Have fun!!!
MsRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #113
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
used to take an annual trip to disney for one week.couldnt spend more time since the younger kids couldnt miss that much school.now that my 2 youngest will both be away at school in the fall,freshman and junior in college i scheduled first two weeks of november,with my older daughter and her husband.i find it very relaxing on some days just hanging out in the campground.thanks for the tips,i will definately take the ft wilderness segway tour.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #114
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
I will be there with my three little ones the first full week in April as well. This will be my first spring Airstream trip.
TROUTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #115
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUTD View Post
I will be there with my three little ones the first full week in April as well. This will be my first spring Airstream trip.
Just remember that this is Spring Break and Disney's second busiest week of the year. The parks are doable, just don't expect to get to everything; you will need to visit the parks more than one day each if you want to get to everything. But then again, you will have an excuse to go back next year!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #116
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
We'll be there March 17-21 - should be fun.
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
First Trip To FW

We will be there from April 15 though April 20th. Hoping to convince my son and wife with 2 children 2 year old and a 5 month old to join us. My son and I will stay in the PahQue Screen Room tent and the women in the AS.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #118
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet View Post
We will be there from April 15 though April 20th. Hoping to convince my son and wife with 2 children 2 year old and a 5 month old to join us. My son and I will stay in the PahQue Screen Room tent and the women in the AS.
You might want to make sure that they allow that. I thought I read that tents of any kind were not allowed IF there was a trailer. I may have this confused with some place else though. Good luck and Have a great time.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
Old 03-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #119
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
You might want to make sure that they allow that. I thought I read that tents of any kind were not allowed IF there was a trailer. I may have this confused with some place else though. Good luck and Have a great time.
Trailers and tents are allowed as long as there are no more than 10 people/site. We have used our screened dining awning with our Airstream lots of times. There is one regular at FW that has a T@b that is set up inside a screened tent and they have a separate tent for the children.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
That is good news about the tents. I may have been thinking of Cedar Point?
Sorry to confuse others.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922