Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Did you expect something different than that in July?

We had an opportunity to go to Disney in late June but passed because of the weather. I don't do hot and muggy very well.

We went to FW in March this year and I would highly recommend that time of year from a weather perspective. The sun was warm and the shade was cool with no bugs and no humidity. And, there were crowds at that time too! Is there ever a time where there are no crowds at Disney?
As the date/time to leave was approaching, I was dreading the trip more and more.... The long drive, the heat, Disney, Disney, Disney. On I-4 at the approach to WDW and seeing the sign for the exit, I got really excited - Lisa thought I was being sarcastic. I and the family had a GREAT time. It's the most wonderful place in the world; how could anyone not have a good time. Relaxing - No. One night we didn't return to FW until close to 3AM. We wanted the extended hours at Magic Kingdom along with a bazillion other people. We waited on line for close to an hour at space mountain - got on just before 2 AM. Hey, it was 97F in New England that week - hmm, Perry GA or Disney, hot/humid or hot/humid. We decided on another 50 gallons of diesel and head to FL. The 6 day park hopper pass wasn't that much more than admission to International. Caravan to WDW in 2025, you in? How 'bout International in Orlando?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
After we left Lake Buena Vista, we hit Myrtle Beach, that was awesome too. Caravan to South Carolina for International in 2014; great time guaranteed! I suspect fuel will be $6.74 9/10 by then. I'll still get my penny off at the Flying J.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Most everything has been covered, but will put my two cents about the charging to the room and have your packages delivered. It was great not having to carry all those "great buys" around especially the ones you find in Epcot World Showcase. Even though I live in Kansas, I have been to WDW seven times, and even though I'm much older than the first time, I can't get enough of it. EVERY age will enjoy it! There are many "kids" rides in the Magic Kingdom and obviously if a ride says that people with heart problems, have back problems or are pregnant should not go on this ride, a 4 year old shouldn't go either. But some of my favorites have been the Adventurers of Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan and It's a Small World.

I think you are going at a good time of the year. We normally go in October or March. There are still lots of people, but not nearly as many as during the summer. A bus driver once told me that the best time to go is either the last week of August or the week after Thanksgiving. I guess most kids are either back in school or getting ready to start after Labor Day and most people would have taken a 4 day trip over Thanksgiving but not after.

Anyway, go and have a great time.... did you call Disney direct? I found that sometimes they have specials that aren't on the internet especially when they are trying to fill up a hotel. Oh, another thing, be sure to visit Wilderness Lodge and see the massive lobby - and don't forget to look for the hidden Mickeys!!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #24
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I should call them to get the info right or do they do everything online only?I do have a dog I will be taking with us though.I also want the full hookup if possible also.I figure if I nip this in the bud in the next few days I will get a decent spot at least.
Do it on the phone, much faster and you can explain what you want. You can also ask for the FL Resident rate if you are one. There is a FL resident seasonal pass that has blackout dates. The Blackout dates are good, because you don't want to go to the parks on those dates anyhow. Too hot, too packed, etc.

The Fl Resident Seasonal pass will cost approx the same as a 3 day park hopper. So if you are going for a week at FW then you can come and go as much as you want. The passes are good for 1 yr from date of purchase.

Good tip about the parking, I don't like the bus, others do. Once you are on property the parking is free, and that alone saves you 30 bucks for 3 days in the parks.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Hey Devoman! We just got back from the 4th at Disney. Sorry we missed all the other forum members that were their last week.

I can highly recommend the book that Moosetags told you about. We still buy it about every other year and we went three times last year and will make it five times this year!

I would recommend requesting Loop 300, 500 or 700. These are the preferred pet loops. We like loop 300 because it has a playground and is convenient to the pool and marina. Loop 700 seems to have easy to back into camp sites (this can be important since Ft. Wilderness was laid out in the early '70's when most travel trailers were much shorter than 25' and most people had pop-ups to begin with so some of the roads can be tight when backing into the site). The preferred means they have all the connections including basic cable and you know they have the Disney Channel plus channels that tell you when the parks open each day and what time they close each night, which parks are Extra Magic Hour Parks the next day and what events are going on in the Fort. BTW, you'll get a print out with the park hours at check in. You'll also get a movie schedule. Disney doesn't allow individual camp fires so they have a big camp fire and sing a long near the main pool every night followed by an outdoor Disney movie. There are log benches to sit on, but you can also bring your own camp chair if you would prefer something a little more comfortable.

The campground is so big it has its own internal bus system (free) to take you to the marina and to the bus stops to catch the buses to the individual parks. We do the buses from the camp ground to the parks but take our golf cart to tool around the camp ground in. You can take your own or rent one from Disney, but they are expensive to rent--$47/night or $227/week, IIRC.

All of the sites have a concrete paved section and a sand section. There is a picnic table and a charcoal grill with each site. We noticed that some of the sites have been hit hard by the recent droughts, but with all the rain that we got last week, this may change and the foliage may return before you get there.

Of course you know Florida weather in November so you'll have plenty of warm days and mild nights at the time of year you're going. One recommendation, though. The Christmas decorations will be up, but none will be lighted while you are there. If you can manage the first or second week of December the crowds will be about the same as the week you are planning, the weather will be about the same and the decorations will be lit! Trust me, no one does Christmas like Disney! Not to mention most Ft.Wilderness campers will decorate their camp sites…some to the nines. If you can make it in early December, go by site 301. That site is rented every year by the Howards. They are from Mass., have a Provost, and spend six months of the year there and really decorate for every holiday. They even have a bronze plaque with their site number on it.

Just a few ramblings here: The pool is heated so you can swim year round as long as the air temp isn't too cold for your fortitude. The Disney transportation to the MagicKingdom is via ferry; all other parks are via bus. If you will be celebrating a birthday while there go by the Guest Relations in that park and get a "birthday badge" and you will get birthday wishes throughout the day from cast members. For the most part, the only costumes guest are allowed to wear into the parks are little girls are allowed to wear princess costumes into the park...they get the royal treatment if they do...hint, hint. Get "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" and follow the tour guide in the back for each park you go to. You'd be surprised how much more you can get done and how much less stressful the day will be if you are organized and have things planned out. Make Advanced Dinner Reservations (ADR's up to six months in advance) for meals if you want to eat at the more popular restaurants like The Crystal Palace. It may not be such a big deal with smaller crowds, but it could also mean the difference between eating a character meal with Winnie the Pooh at 12:00noon and having to wait until 1:45 to be seated.

Oh yes, don't do a package. Call Disney direct and book a la carte. It is much cheaper that way. Some people like the Disney Dinning Package if it is included with the room, or in this case the camp site, but I don't think it is such a good deal at Ft. Wilderness. You will be able to get a much better price if you just book the camp site and pay for the meals separately. The Florida Resident's Rate won't be available this far in advance. Go ahead and book anyway and call back about 2-3 months ahead of time and ask for it then. They rarely offer it at the camp ground because they have such high occupancy but if they do they will let you change your rate then without having to re-book. Also, they sometimes offer AAA discounts. They aren't as good as the FL resident's rate, but it might be the only thing available. Also, ask for any discount they have available. Sometimes they have manager's discounts and unadvertised discounts.

BTW, can you tell Disney is my passion?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I disagree about the dinning package. It worked out great for us (two adult and two children) There are over 100 restaurants to choose from.You have one sit down, one take away and one snack per day. For the take away meals, there are healthy choices like vegatable wraps and sliced apples as well as chicken , burgers and fries. We had two dinners at the Artists Point in the Wilderness Lodge. Bufflo steak and some of the best Salmon I've ever had.We had 16 snacks left over the day we were leaving so we stocked up for the trip home. Maybe not for everyone but it worked great for us and it was less expensive than if we had purchased everything using cash.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
One of the primary reasons I like to camp is so I can cook in my trailer. When we went to Disney this year, we prepared/ate breakfast at the trailer, packed snacks for the day, ate lunch out to try a new restaurant and ate dinner back at the campground. As far as cost is concerned, it doesn't get much better than that unless you skip dining out completely!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You really need to look at the Dinning Plan in terms of what best suits your individual park touring style. When we are touring the parks, we like to take that hour break from the crowds and heat and have a nice, cool relaxing meal so we have two table service meals each day. The dining plan doesn't offer that. At most of the restaurants, the meal plan is more expensive than most of the items on the menu so you have to order the most expensive item on the menu to actually save money. One of our must do restaurants is The Hollywood Brown Derby. That restaurant takes two table service vouchers for either lunch or dinner. The character meals (usually a buffet) takes a table service voucher which may or may not be of the same value as a table service meal. Some character meals take two table service vouchers but I don't remember which ones.

For some, taking the mid-day break and heading back to their camp site for a nap or break from the heat gives them the opportunity to prepare their own breakfasts and lunches so they only eat one meal per day in a restaurant. Those snacks you stocked up on for your trip home would have been much less expensive if you had purchased them in the convenience store at your first fuel stop than they what they cost by purchasing them with the snack vouchers.

But, on the other hand, a lot of people like the convenience of knowing that the meals are taken care of and some people will pre-pay for their entire trip before they arrive at Disney World so everything is taken care of so they can relax and enjoy. Some folks like the idea that all gratuities are taken care of with the dinning plan. Others prefer to eat one main meal and one lighter meal with a snack in between. It really depends on personal preferences and how you plan on spending your day and what your eating habits are.

Generally speaking though, you will save more if you book your site (or hotel room) separately and buy your park admission separately and pay for your meals as you go (which can be charged to your room/site).
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Absolutely right, you really have to look into it to see if it's right for you.Artists Point took two vouchers but the meal and service was excellent, plus we had two teens running around the parks on their own so we knew that their meals were taken care of.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Smile More Disney Advice

Steve,

We have FL resident seasonal passes and go about a half a dozen times a year. You will never stay in a campground cleaner than FT Wilderness, and IMHO the services there are excellent, even the bus transportation in the campground. I second what someone said about the layout of the camp. In my last trip there, I had to execute a greater than 270 degree backup maneuver to get into our site. I was glad nobody appeared to be watching as I wasn’t too smooth.

I second your desire to see Animal Kingdom; I think that is the best park there. Go early and make your way to the back first to go on the safari. The animals are most active in the mornings. Then work your way back to the front. The riverside café and bar at the entrance to the area where the safari ride is located is also a great place to have a drink and watch all the African entertainment.

You need to make a point of seeing the Animal Kingdom Lodge. This is the most spectacular of all the Disney lodges. You can watch giraffes from the back porch. There is also a great restaurant there, Bomas. Its buffet style and has some African themed dishes. We’ve had breakfast and dinner there and the food is great. A good place for younger children as well.

Unless you are into spending lots of money on fabulous food with your little ones in tow, I would avoid all the Disney five star restaurants (Flying Fish, Jikos, Artist Point, California Grill, to name a few). They do have children’s menus, but I wouldn’t have taken my children there when they were young. Just my $0.02 worth.

We’ll be there November 8 – 11 for the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Looks like the end of your trip overlaps with our plans. Maybe we’ll see you there.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Halloween at Fort Wilderness

Will have the '78 Sovereign at FW October 27 thru November 2. Stop in for some "Pirate Ale" if you will be in the area. Don't know which loop we will be in yet. We requested a pet loop in the northern section of the park.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Will have the '78 Sovereign at FW October 27 thru November 2. Stop in for some "Pirate Ale" if you will be in the area. Don't know which loop we will be in yet. We requested a pet loop in the northern section of the park.
Are you doing Mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party?
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
End of September is not crowded at all. So desolate they had the hot water off in the showers! We were there 2 years ago, right before Hurricane Jeane. They booted us out because of the impending storm. I thought the bus service was great.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #34
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
F/w

I wish we could stop by but unfortunantly I will not be able to.
I will be there from the 26th to the 30th though and we are going to see the Very Merry Christmas Mickey Mouse Parade.I really can not wait to go.Breanna is going to have such a blast.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
Are you doing Mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party?
Not sure - will have a 3 year old granddaughter in tow.

We plan to "do" Halloween in costume at the trailer and give out treats to the walking traffic who may stop by.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 10-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Hi Devoman

Just got back from a week in Mickyville.

The transportaion system within the campground has dropped in the last few years. I would suggest staying in one of the premire loops as they are within walking distance to the dock and you can use the ferries to move around much faster. If you stay in the other loops I would suggest considering driving to the front parking lot and busing from there to save tome. Another consideration is to drive to the hotels and bussing from there because you can get to all venues from a hotel wereas you have to change buses at the transportation center if you come from FW.

I agree with the comment not to go to any of the 5 star resturants with a child. The childrens menu is very poor in them. If you want a great meal try Wolfgang Puck's in Disney World, a 5 min drive. That meal was as good if not better than Artist Point, Brown Derby or Spoodles on the Boardwalk.

You mentioned some hesistation about the Magic Kingdom. The most popular ride for the little ones is Dumbo, if you go go the very first thing in the am as the line get s long. There are several other rides for the kids there also.

Good Luck

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #37
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Rides

And the tea pot ride also.I can not wait.Even though it is only a month away I am excited to take her there to show her another world she will always remember.My goal is to make this a yearly trip.Hopefully 2 times a year if I can.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i remember going on "it's a small world after all" when i was probably 5. it was my mom's favorite ride so we rode it a lot. i also remember my first ever rollercoaster ride on space mountain, so fun.

have fun devo, we'll look forward to a report and pics when you get back!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We got back from Ft. Wilderness last night about 11:30! Normally it takes us 7-1/2 hours solo and it took us 9 hours to drive down, which is average with the Airstream in tow. It took us 7-1/2 hours yesterday and that was stopping for fuel in Valdosta and fast food in Cordele! That's a record with the Airstream in tow!

They are in the process of clearing out all of the under brush at FW so the loops closer to the entrance are very open and rather bare looking. We were in the 300 loop (there was a International Bambi in our loop, too) and the brush was still very much in place. Our neighbor had some difficulty getting his 33' SOB into his site and complained. The manager said they were clearing the sites in preparation for making them larger...I don't know if that is so. A fellow "Dis'er" on my Disney forum said he has been going to Ft. Wilderness since he was a kid and they do this about every 10 years or so.

We rode the "Haunted Hayride" and thought it was better last year with "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" as opposed to this year's "The Legend of Vinland".

The purpose for this trip was our annual trip to attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. We got some rain on us, but the parade and fireworks still went on and we got to ride the newly renovated "Haunted Mansion"...they did a great job with the rehab, but it might be a little intense for Breanna.

Make sure you use the Fast Pass system for Peter Pan's Flight and for the Winnie the Pooh ride. Both are in Fantasy Land and the lines can be murder. Don't miss "Mickey's Philharmagic". "The Pirates of the Caribbean" was revised a year or so ago and includes Cap'n Jack Sparrow in three locations and Captain Barbosa plus Davy Jones. Don't forget to take Breanna over to Toon-Town to see Mickey's Country House and Minnie's House next door. If you want to eat a table service meal in the Magic Kingdom eat lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. Of the four table service restaurants plus one buffet in the MK, it has the best food. But, if you want a character meal and you are going to Epcot, do Mickey's Garden Grill at the Land Pavilion. The food is fairly good and the price is reasonable, but you get Mickey Mouse. In the MK, you get Winnie and friends at the Crystal Palace, but I really don't think the food is all that good, but that's just MHO. Some folks think the food is great.

At the Animal Kingdom, your meals will be limited to McDonald's, maybe the Flame Tree Barbecue (open seasonally) or Pizzafari. The Tusker House is being converted to a buffet and may be re-opened by then but I don't think so. If you want a sit down meal with lots of atmosphere, you can go just out side the gates and eat at the Rain-forest Café. It is pricey, and the food is fairly good, but there are audioanimatronic gorillas and elephants that come to life during the indoor thunder storms. If you go for dinner, get there early because the Animal Kingdom closes at 5:00 and everybody hits the Rain-forest Café at one time and the wait can be a couple of hours, literally.

Well, I've rambled enough and used up my afternoon break time, so I'd better leave it at that. Our next visit to the Mouse is in 8 weeks when we return for our annual Christmas trip. The boys have already started whining about wishing they were at Disney again! I'm one of those boys, shhhhh. Have a great trip.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Just Back From the Halloween Bash

Pics below say it all.

What a great time!

Will definitely do it again next year - plan to do a two leaf week peep ending up at Fort Disney for Halloween.

Here are a few pics of the dozen or so AS's in the park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft. Wilderness #1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	48735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft. Wilderness #2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	669.6 KB
ID:	48736  

Name:	Ft. Wilderness #3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	912.1 KB
ID:	48737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft. Wilderness #4.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	835.6 KB
ID:	48738  

Name:	Ft. Wilderness #5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	767.8 KB
ID:	48739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft. Wilderness #6.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	723.1 KB
ID:	48740  

Name:	Ft. Wilderness #7.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	720.3 KB
ID:	48741  

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737