Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Those are two of the restrictions. MUST be licensed
Well if that is indeed FW's policy, it is NOT enforced. I saw so many children driving carts, I assumed cats and dogs were the only restricted drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
and you MUST stay off the walkways. However, there are some combination walkway/cart paths around the Meadows Trading Post (Bike barn where they are picked up and returned, the Meadows pool area, and the Meadows amphitheater. Also, the Trails End Trading Post, and Crockett's Tavern area).
LOL.. which is pretty much the WHOLE park

We were in 600 loop, and just getting my two girls (under 5) to the slide pool, was a nightmare because of the rabble of carts... I might as well have been negotiating US-23 on foot

Some SFB came barreling into the 600 loop in a customized cart, the wrong way, and then shot up the walkway that leads to the wooden walking bridge- only slamming on his brakes when he realized he couldn't slip past the concrete bollard protecting the bridge entry...

Cutting through empty sites, and across landscaping, to get around folks parking was another common sight.

I saw "Disney Security" all over the place... never saw them stopping or even talking to anybody...

I talked to a FW "manager" about the cart problem... he admitted they were 'fielding a lot of issues' with them, but was pretty evasive about any extra enforcement or policy changes

I figure it's only a matter of time before they go the way of the firepits.

We were terribly saddened to heard about the 11 year old getting killed the thursday before we arrived, and to be totally honest, we thought for sure it involved a golf cart. It in fact was a "Disney Transport". Tragic.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #128
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
and then shot up the walkway that leads to the wooden walking bridge- only slamming on his brakes when he realized he couldn't slip past the concrete bollard protecting the bridge entry...
That bridge used to be open to golf carts and with so many that are regulars he was probably used to using it to get from the Meadows Trading Post to the swimming pool. I have used the bridge before (at night) and was surprised on our last trip in October to find it had been cut off for golf carts.

There is no doubt that there are folks that ignore the rules and that has an impact on everyone. Hopefully, the carts won't be banned. We purchased our golf cart after our first visit to FW in 2006. Trips to Disney are the only times we use our golf cart and would have no use for it if they are banned. But considering how much money Disney makes off of the rental units, I can't see them banning them any time soon.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #129
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We spent the last week at Disney, but didn't take the stream. We drove past Ft. Wilderness several times and it looked nice. The added benefit of not having to pay parking each day at Disney is a plus!

Steve
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #130
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Our next trip to the Fort is October 15-18, 2010 for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Can't wait!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #131
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
FWD Report 04/19/2010

Our first trip never was able to get in before. Our site was 1307 very long and easy to enter. There was an AS 30' with bunks from Boston just on the other side of the comfort station. We were next to the comfort station and had a glade of tall pines separating us from the street and bus. We set up a screen room for myself and my son as the women had the AS. We were 7, 4 adults and a birthday girl of 15 and a child 0f 2 and one at 5 months. It was good weather till Sunday the 18th pored in MK, my son's family left on Sunday just as well as the screen tent with an air mattress did not look appealing anymore for a 58 year old. Sleeping 3 inches off the concrete and getting up to go 2x night but the weather was cool and no bugs to wright home about. One annoying item is the buses continue till 1am or more and they have that annoying beeping when they lower the back steps for wheelchair access. If you sleep outside it will wake you. On staurday morning i asked the loop maintenance guy and he said he will try to get the beeping to be lowered. I believe he was able to do that. It is the most expensive campsite we have ever stayed at but the maintenance and attention is far superior to anywhere else. We asked to be away from yapping toy dogs and we did not see one on our loop. Garbage was picked up numerous times a day they even had a street sweeper come by in the morning. They are constantly trimming away the dead wood. We went to the nightly outdoor movie and took the ferry to MK and one day the bus to Epcot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1070078.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	100859  
Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 AM   #132
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sounds like you had a great trip. I must admit, I would have insisted on having a bed INSIDE the trailer...but then again, I am spoiled to the comforts of my Airstream.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #133
1 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
dearborn heights , Michigan
Joe,
I agree- the golf carts are a huge nuisance... I can understand elderly and handicapped folks using them- but others, try walking! I mean, after all, you're camping right??

We heard about the boy from St. Petersburg who was run over by a Disney bus. Very sad. There seemed to be some dispute about whether the bus clipped him as it turned, or if the boy actually rode into the side of the bus...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #134
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
been to fw many times and fortunately have not had any bad experiences like other posters.dont think the golf carts are going anywhere unless they come up with some other mode of transit.walking doesnt bother me ,but there are alot of seniors that would not be able to get around without carts.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #135
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Just booked our second Disney trip and our first at FT Wilderness in the A/S. Unfortunately, it's not until March. If we enjoy this trip as much as the last one, maybe I can talk the husband into Halloween... or maybe a Christmas trip....

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #136
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
I lost my mind

I'm referbing a 1976 Sovereign. If plans go according I hope to finish by Christmas. I decided today to make the frist shake down trip carring my three Grandkinds from N. Ga. to Fort Wilderness. I don't have concerns about the trip. What did floor me is to find out mid Feburary is peak season. I asssumed June/July with kids out of school. To find out most sites are already taken and only the most expensive is left. I reserved two sites for my kids and grandkids. I almost fell out of my chair to hear $113 ($127) tax per night. Will someone convince me it's still a good deal.I know that taking three Grandkids to Disney under five--PRICELESS but seriously.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #137
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
I'm referbing a 1976 Sovereign. If plans go according I hope to finish by Christmas. I decided today to make the frist shake down trip carring my three Grandkinds from N. Ga. to Fort Wilderness. I don't have concerns about the trip. What did floor me is to find out mid Feburary is peak season. I asssumed June/July with kids out of school. To find out most sites are already taken and only the most expensive is left. I reserved two sites for my kids and grandkids. I almost fell out of my chair to hear $113 ($127) tax per night. Will someone convince me it's still a good deal.I know that taking three Grandkids to Disney under five--PRICELESS but seriously.
Trust me... we saved between 50 to 100(can't remember the exact cost of a room for June) per night as compared to Value hotel rooms on resort. Not to mention the cost of dining on resort you save by having your own kitchen (price the dining plan for 6 adults and five kids! Although, the food is spectacular!!). Once my kids started walking around the park, we forgot all about the air fare cost, ticket cost, dining plan and hotel cost. As adults we enjoyed it ... even though we were convinced we would hate it.

This will be our first time at Ft Wilderness, but if our stay at All-Star Music is any indication... it should be fabulous.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #138
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Price and Usage at Fort Widerness

We stayed in mid April with AS 31 the women folk, my wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, granddaughter 2yrs, and grandson 7 months all stayed in the AS while my son and I stayed in a screen house tent on the concrete pad. Which was large enough to fit the AS, a dual cabin truck and the tent and a car. The screen house had no attached floor, we had a ground cloth. No bugs, used AC in AS. We were the lot closest to the bus stop, the bus ran till 1 am keeping us awake in the tent. especially when it's alert whistle goes off to lower a wheel chair or scooter. And I mean we had a premo site there was a large wooded field next to us to the bus stop. The noise of the bus is always there. We payed nearly 100 @night.

You pay for the convenience to be able to take the bus to the boat and then to the park. You have to walk from the drop off to the boat about 300 yds.

The pool in wilderness is very crowded. The night movies outside are nice if you still have the energy to sit there.

Very commercial Disneyish experience. They even come during the day to blow dead leaves and twigs off the loop roads.

Some people come and stay for months!!! You have to travel quite a ways till you get to a Walmart or Publix.

Their marketing is so pervasive that there will always be myriads of herds of Wildebeests standing in line to make the pilgrimage.

We did it once that was enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	disneysite.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	112546  
Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
We've stayed in FW on three occasions. Once, we saw two of the biggest, swankiest, pushers, parked in 700(?) loop. A nearby camper told us it was the family from "Extreme Home Makeover" show.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #140
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Just booked our second Disney trip and our first at FT Wilderness in the A/S. Unfortunately, it's not until March. If we enjoy this trip as much as the last one, maybe I can talk the husband into Halloween... or maybe a Christmas trip....
Believe it or not, if you want Christmas reservations (either the week before or after) now is NOT too early to make those reservations. They will be in short supply by New Years day. Other than being out the reservation fee until you decide, you will get a 100% refund as long as you cancel before the cancellation deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
What did floor me is to find out mid Feburary is peak season. I asssumed June/July with kids out of school. To find out most sites are already taken and only the most expensive is left. I reserved two sites for my kids and grandkids. I almost fell out of my chair to hear $113 ($127) tax per night. Will someone convince me it's still a good deal.I know that taking three Grandkids to Disney under five--PRICELESS but seriously.
Mid-February is President's Week and many schools, especially New York, New Jersey, etc., have the week off from school and those folks really like to escape the cold weather and get a head start on Spring . We have been to WDW/Ft. Wilderness that week (our county has the week off, too) and it can still be chilly...for Florida, anyway...but it is a very busy time of year for the theme parks. Orlando schools only get one day for President's Day so that day is especially busy.

Good deal...that is depending on your perspective. When you consider that a Value Resort room is usually less than $25/night more and you are providing the room, bed, linens, and cleaning, you have to decide if you'd rather camp or stay in a hotel room. Also, you have to factor in the cost of extra fuel for the trip when towing to see if it is a good deal. But, just as an FYI, there have been reports of bedbugs in the WDW resort hotels.

Also, if you book during the right time and go during the right time, you can get the dinning plan included in your hotel room. I don't know from personal experience, but reportedly you could get the dinning plan included in your stay at FW. Generally, we use the Airstream for two purposes: as a hotel room (our beds, our germs in the bathroom) and so that our dog can go with us and not have to be boarded.

WBCCI# 4821