Bump for future use. Good thread.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
First time we went, we did not stay in a premium site. The pea gravel was awful! Premium sites are pricey, but very nice!! Great place to walk around and spotting the early morning deer was a bonus!

Laura & Tom

Old 01-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Disneyland Fort Wilderness

ShinyPete, when did you work there? The wife and I worked there from 1980-82. I drove monorails, she worked in Fantasy Land. Best job ever!

I love Fort Wilderness. Last time we went, my youngest was finally old enough to turn loose with her friend and let them run. We saw more interesting things when we weren't looking to entertain the kids. They had a great time, we had a great time. I could just hang out in the campground, if I've got somebody to sit around and talk to. The singalong with Chip and Dale is fun...

The cost of the golf carts at Ft Wilderness is what inspired my pedal buggy, although I made it a little too wide... Version 2 will be narrow enough to make the golf cart paths at Ft Wilderness. Longboard got me around really well also, although they say no skateboarding. No one ever stopped me, but I'm pretty mellow on the board...

If you've never been in the parks, map out a plan, work from one end to the other, otherwise you'll waste all your time walking. It's a big freaking park... Especially EPCOT.

Can't wait to have grandkids and take them camping in the Airstream at Disney... How awesome is that for a kid, or a grandparent?

-Red, jonesing for Disney now...
Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Spent 4 days and nights at DisneyWorld for our 42nd wedding anniversary in late 2013. Absolutely right about it being a lot of fun for adults. Got a lot of interested conversations on the anniversary.

Fun fact: The dog vacation ended up costing us more than Disney--4 doggies in a nice dog spa in Alabama was fun for the doggies. Next time I want to take the AS to Fort Wilderness and bring doggies along to save money. They'll nap all day and we'd be close enough to feed and walk them ourselves.

Yep, really want to go back soon. Disneyland is nice but the Florida complex is a lot grander scale.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Wonderful place but check out KOA

By far Disney is the best but if you can't get in check out the KOA in Kissimee it is one of the finest I have ever stayed at. The bathrooms are spotless and great location, just down the street from Disney.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Yep, I'm not sure which KOA you are talking about, but we have stayed at KOA on Lake Whippoorwill and it is WONDERFUL! Definitely a little further from Disney, but a wonderful campground!

Laura & Tom
Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Boy, what an amazing resource this forum is! Thanks for the feedback everyone. My wife and I are going to Orlando for a business convention in early March and Fort Wilderness is extremely close. Planning to go a couple days early and enjoy some free time too.

I assume it's okay to leave the AS there if we lock the tongue? This will be our second trip in our AS so not sure if that's a no-no.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #22
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Chaseav-I can virtually guarantee your coach will be safe inside Fort Wilderness. There is Disney Security on property that you don't even see, let alone the ones you do, as well as Orange and Seminole County Sheriff, and several other unmentionable groups that are working on property that drive big black suvs......... I truly feel safer on Disney property than perhaps any where else!

Red-I actually worked there recently, drove Disney transport buses on property for almost a year until last Easter. It was something I always wanted to do, and enjoyed it despite the late nights and long commute. Great job, great company to work for, and I appreciate the entire operation even more now as a guest. I actually drove the Fort Wilderness inside campground bus routes for 4 months and loved it! I got to hang out with kindred RVers every trip through!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
chaseav - my see you there in March. Will be there with the grandchildren. 16' Sport.

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
We stayed at Fort Wilderness for six night this past June/July. We purposely chose a non-premium spot on a dog friendly area because it was further away from the sprawl. It was very nice. I was able to get my 36' Avion into the spot no problem. The bus stop was only a couple hundred yards from us. We were near a bathhouse (though I always use the tub in my trailer) and it was very clean. They had guys with leaf blowers come in and when one guest left, they'd blow the sand and stuff off the parking pad. I didn't see any gravel spots....ours' was paved. We had bicycles and rode to the pool, the ferry, etc.

It's great!

I think we paid like $98 a night or something. It wasn't $118....

I would camp there even if I weren't going to Disney...be a good place to stay no matter where you were going.

The worst thing was dragging that big trailer down through Orlando in rush hour traffic. Got a little tense

Go stay there...you'll love it!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Had a great stay at Fort Wilderness!!! It was expensive, like $110/ night but very professional staff and setup was great. We stayed in the mid range spots and the neighbors were no more than 30 ft away. The place was PACKED but it was very quiet and somehow we almost never ran into any neighbors. For better or worse. Ran across another Airstreamer who was very excited when we pulled in. Never linked up with him after setup though unfortunately. I failed to realize that there is no Wifi at the spots just in the common areas which was tough being that this was for a business trip.

The only real complaint I had is that with a rearward entry door to the AS and I guess a pretty long total rig length we had to walk through a sandy mix to get in and out. It was moist and raining quite a bit so we tracked a ton of the stuff inside. If you have a forward door though you're in good shape.

No regrets. Add it to the list!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1427247937.155128.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	234884
Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Had a great stay at Fort Wilderness!!! It was expensive, like $110/ night but very professional staff and setup was great. We stayed in the mid range spots and the neighbors were no more than 30 ft away. The place was PACKED but it was very quiet and somehow we almost never ran into any neighbors. For better or worse. Ran across another Airstreamer who was very excited when we pulled in. Never linked up with him after setup though unfortunately. I failed to realize that there is no Wifi at the spots just in the common areas which was tough being that this was for a business trip.

The only real complaint I had is that with a rearward entry door to the AS and I guess a pretty long total rig length we had to walk through a sandy mix to get in and out. It was moist and raining quite a bit so we tracked a ton of the stuff inside. If you have a forward door though you're in good shape.

No regrets. Add it to the list!

Attachment 234884

Well, compare the price against a hotel that close to Magic Kingdom and it's a steal!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
wifi at Ft. Wilderness

We stayed there in the fall of 2013. They have wifi there. You have to go to the Trading Post and sign out a modem. This connects to the cable inside the Airstream. I hooked ours to the coaxial loop under the table. We took a router so we could use different things on the internet. Worked well. Hopefully, will be going back again sometime this year. Wife really enjoys her time there.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

True on the modem. But that doesn't output a Wifi signal and none of my devices have an Ethernet port anymore. Supposedly you can port that modem to your own wifi but you need to navigate through the firewalls and blah blah blahs.