Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Disney World's Airstreams

Hey Gang!

I just got back from five days with the mouse...you know, The Mouse! While there, I kept my eyes open. I saw three different Airstreams that were part of the park.

The first one was an old one that was used as a restaurant prop in Dinoland, which is part of the Animal Kingdom. Really cool place to visit.

The second one was at MGM on Mickey Avenue. It was setup for character greetings and was for Jojo's Circus (a kids' show on the Disney Channel.)

The last one was also on the same avenue at MGM, and was set up for character greetings for the Little Einsteins, another Disney kids' show.

I photoshopped these to make them smaller. You can't see it very clearly, but the last shot shows the inside of one of the newer trailers. The insides were mirrored so that the characters could change outfits and see what was going on. It didn't look to be polished aluminum, but rather huge mirrors inside.

Also, notice how wide the doors are on Jojo's Circus and Little Einstein's trailers. Looks a good 50% wider than stock. So the characters' 3' wide heads will fit through

Anyway, when I saw these, I had to grab them and stick them on here. I really like the window treatments on Jojo's trailer!

Anybody ID what years and models these are? I know the first one is pre-'69. The other two are newer; are wide bodies, but the guy there said they'd been there a long time. Are they 19' Bambi's?

Oh yeah, that's my daughter (who just turned 7 on May 7th, 2007) and my wife (who shall forever remain 29 ) along with your's truly. What a fun trip!

Have a magical day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirRestaurant.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	37074   Click image for larger version

Name:	JojoCircus.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	37075  

Name:	LEOut1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	37076   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEOut2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	37077  

Name:	LEinside.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	37078  
Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Great photos!

Imagine the same scene...
Instead of an Airstream, with a SOB...
It would be unattractive and worthless
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ahh, it's nice they store the one under cover -- one of the more controllable issues causing Airstream problems.

Looks like one of the Airstreams mentioned here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/i-smart-32270.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Looks like Me and Twink were there at about the same time.

OK, I hear it....no...no...anything but THAT!

"IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL..."
Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden

That's Susie's least favorite song ... EVER!!! (mods -- I know large fonts are 'shouting' but please allow it just this once. Oh purty please?)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Anybody ID what years and models these are? I know the first one is pre-'69. The other two are newer; are wide bodies, but the guy there said they'd been there a long time. Are they 19' Bambi's?
All of them appear to be longer than 19-footers. I would say at least 22-26 feet ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Musta been there same time.

I too cannot get It's a small world out of my mind.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Small world ....

I heard that playing "Its a small world" straight through for several hours is part of our Guantanamo talking with terrorists program.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Jim, did you bring your Airstream down and stay at Fort Wilderness? Only a few miles away from home for us, but mentally a world away. One of our favorite places to spend a weekend. We usually don't even bother going into the parks.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Not this trip, sadly...

I wish I had. Mine isn't ready for a trip like that yet right now We took the wimpy way out and flew down. Of course a big storm blew up just about exactly an hour before we were to get on the plane to go back north. The plane couldn't land at Orlando, circled for an hour 'til he got low on fuel, then went to Tampa. Ten minutes later the sun came back out. Four hours later, we were on the plane on the way home. Well, at least we made it one piece

Someday though. I've got big plans for the ol' girl...

Enjoy the sun!

PS If you ever saw "The Lion King", there's a scene where Scar (the bad lion who got his brother, Mufasa, killed, has Zazoo the toucan sing for him. Zazoo starts singing (in a heavy English accent) "It's a small world afterall...." to which Scar says "Oh no, no, NO, ANYTHING BUT THAT!" Zazoo then sings a happy little tune that goes "Oh I've got a bubbly bunch of coconuts...." That song is alright
Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't fret too much Jim...we flew too.

I felt like a sinner!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Check the mini-golf by Blizzard Beach. I think there is a faux-Airstream creation there also.

(I'm pretty sure I saw one there on one of my xx,xxx trips to Disneyworld!)
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Quote:

That's Susie's least favorite song ... EVER!!! (mods -- I know large fonts are 'shouting' but please allow it just this once. Oh purty please?)

It's funny you mention that. My daughter, who was just a few days from turning 7 said "That ride was stupid daddy. Those little dolls are annoying!" right after her mom, all misty eyed from riding this when she was little, said "What'd you think of it sweety?"

I had to laugh

The Expedition to Everest Yeti roller coaster was more her speed. We rode it four times!!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
post bigger pics!!

my kid would LOVE that...he's a big airstream fan, AND a big "Little Einsteins" fan, too.

(moderator note: it is, in fact, appropriate to use bold and/or non-standard fonts for emphasis; just not for the text of an entire message. )

We went to MK last year, and didn't see any of the "LEs". we'll have to watch for them next time.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
The Expedition to Everest Yeti roller coaster was more her speed. We rode it four times!!
That was just about the neatest roller coaster I had ever been on. I was told they spend millions building it. I was amazed how one could go backwards so unviolently and duing the abom snowman in the mountain, I looked down to see the track ahead change, kind of like what a real train track does.

One of the best rides and most well engineered rides I have seen yet.....

Of course we also went to Islands of Adventure and rode The Incredible Hulk....def not for the timid. I like Everest much better!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Jim,

You missed my Airstream--it was in Fort Wilderness (see Avatar).

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Bigger Pics of the Einsteins

Nice avatar Randy. Sorry I missed you. Believe me, I'd like to have taken my trailer down there! I will someday. Man I had enough of the crowds at the All Star Music resort. The resort itself wasn't bad, but man was it packed! What's it cost to stay at Camp Wilderness? Isn't that right by the Animal Kingdom? That was our favorite park.

Twink, I was talking to a fireman/emt guy while waiting to get on the Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster. The guy works for Disney and did evac inspections of the Everest Mountain while they were building it. He said he truly loves his job. Lives in Daytona, drives to Orlando and works three 15 hour days in a row, then drives home. Just stays at the park while he's on duty. He said on the Everest Mountain they build a steel girder framework first, then attached the coaster tracks, then applied a heavy mesh all over it and used shotcrete to make the "mountain". He said he got to ride it before it was opened to the masses. Pretty cool! It was cool watching the track switch. After three rides in a row with no wait (late on a night we had resort passes to stay after hours) I started feeling a little woozey. The going backwards in the dark finally got to me. I was cool ten minutes later though. It is an awesome ride.

Chuck, here are the pics in a bigger size. Click to make 'em big. I gotta get me an awning like these!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JojoBig.jpg
Views:	1622
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	37212   Click image for larger version

Name:	LE1.jpg
Views:	1614
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	37213  

Name:	LE2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	37214   Click image for larger version

Name:	LE3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	37215  

Old 05-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just found out one of my consultants who took his vacation with his family the same time I went on vacation was in Orlando too.

He told me that if you stay in a Disney resort, they keep the park open for guests of the Disney resorts until 9pm (Epcot is open till 9pm daily anyway, but the rest).
Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Fort Wilderness

Jim,

Fort Wilderness is a great place to stay if you’re visiting WDW with your Airstream. They fill up fast, so as soon as you know you’re coming, get on their web site and reserve. About 10 days ago I was looking for space during Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival (September 28 through November 11) the only three-night weekend I could find was the last weekend ending on November 11. It came to $185.64 (power/water/sewer/cable) for Thursday through Saturday night. That’s a little expensive for a campground, but a heck of a lot cheaper than staying at a Disney Hotel or Resort.

Fort Wilderness has great facilities. Where else have you been where they come in after you checkout and clean up, wash down, and disinfect the campsite for the next camper? The sites are shaded and private as my avatar shows. Bike paths go everywhere. Busses take you from your campsite to the transfer stations for the Disney Transportation System, or you can rent a golf carts to get around the campground, which is huge. Using the Disney Transportation System, you can get from Ft. Wilderness to anywhere and back. You don’t have to use your vehicle, but if you want to, your Fort parking permit gets you free parking at all the theme parks. One day we went by bus from the Fort to Epcot, by monorail to the Magic Kingdom, then by boat back to the Fort.

Fort Wilderness is next door to the Wilderness Lodge, which is near the Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom is one of our favorite parks too, and we especially like the African themed buffet at Boma’s in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which we think is the most spectacular of all the Disney hotels. We found it faster to drive our truck over to that area as it is the furthest away from Fort Wilderness, and the busses take a meandering route to get there.

And to confirm what twink said, yes they do have extra hours in either the morning or evening that are reserved only for Disney hotel and resort guests. While we were there, they kept Epcot open until 11:00 p.m. and had another fireworks show just for the park guests. The people not staying at a Disney hotel had to leave at 9:00 p.m.

I guess you can tell I’m kind of a fan of WDW, but then I’ve been going there since 1974, and I’ve lived 60 miles away from it for the last 25 years. Each time we go however, we discover something new.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
Jim,

Fort Wilderness is a great place to stay if you’re visiting WDW with your Airstream. They fill up fast, so as soon as you know you’re coming, get on their web site and reserve. About 10 days ago I was looking for space during Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival (September 28 through November 11) the only three-night weekend I could find was the last weekend ending on November 11. It came to $185.64 (power/water/sewer/cable) for Thursday through Saturday night. That’s a little expensive for a campground, but a heck of a lot cheaper than staying at a Disney Hotel or Resort.

Fort Wilderness has great facilities. Where else have you been where they come in after you checkout and clean up, wash down, and disinfect the campsite for the next camper? The sites are shaded and private as my avatar shows. Bike paths go everywhere. Busses take you from your campsite to the transfer stations for the Disney Transportation System, or you can rent a golf carts to get around the campground, which is huge. Using the Disney Transportation System, you can get from Ft. Wilderness to anywhere and back. You don’t have to use your vehicle, but if you want to, your Fort parking permit gets you free parking at all the theme parks. One day we went by bus from the Fort to Epcot, by monorail to the Magic Kingdom, then by boat back to the Fort.

Fort Wilderness is next door to the Wilderness Lodge, which is near the Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom is one of our favorite parks too, and we especially like the African themed buffet at Boma’s in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which we think is the most spectacular of all the Disney hotels. We found it faster to drive our truck over to that area as it is the furthest away from Fort Wilderness, and the busses take a meandering route to get there.

And to confirm what twink said, yes they do have extra hours in either the morning or evening that are reserved only for Disney hotel and resort guests. While we were there, they kept Epcot open until 11:00 p.m. and had another fireworks show just for the park guests. The people not staying at a Disney hotel had to leave at 9:00 p.m.

I guess you can tell I’m kind of a fan of WDW, but then I’ve been going there since 1974, and I’ve lived 60 miles away from it for the last 25 years. Each time we go however, we discover something new.

Randy
To add just a few more points about FW and WDW:
1 The bathrooms are spotless
2 Store is well stocked and not that bad of a mark up - certainly less than the gas to go offsite
3 The people are very nice
4 Great restaurant by the beach
5 Magic Kingdom fireworks can be seen from the beach each night
6 Great heated pool
7 Paved level neat clean pads
8 Garbage cans at each site in the ground - no driving to a dumpster
9 and on and on and on

FW has to be the neatest campground for its size in the country - it is huge. I am certain there are nicer campgrounds but not with the attractions so close by.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote